Thread: -- Preview of Elves --

Default Re: -- Preview of Elves --

Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    If I were an Elf, I would see the Axe as a symbol for the slaying of trees, thus I would not opt to use them ever, since trees are extremely sacred to me and my race.

I do not support the idea of an Axe-wielding unit for the Silvan Elf faction.

though i do support the idea of them becoming more unique.

perhaps when the later version comes out, considering that there will be three elven factions (Woodland Realm/Silvan, Lothlorien/Galadhrim, High Elves), there will be more uniqueness implemented.
    i support the environment too

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

If I were an Elf, I would see the Axe as a symbol for the slaying of trees, thus I would not opt to use them ever, since trees are extremely sacred to me and my race.
    well they will have mostly woodenweapons, so even when they respect nature, they have to take the wood out of something, don´t you think?

though i do support the idea of them becoming more unique.

perhaps when the later version comes out, considering that there will be three elven factions (Woodland Realm/Silvan, Lothlorien/Galadhrim, High Elves), there will be more uniqueness implemented.
    i know. of course my sugestion was for a later realese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    It was my opinion. So what? Many people don't like each other. If anything that motivates them to expand their military arsenal not narrow it down.

But iirc Celeborn did blame the dwarves for what happened in Doriath + the Balrog thing.
    You're right about Celeborn. I just finished Fellowship again 2 days ago. Celeborn got all pissy about the dwarves recklessly bringing evil into the world, but Galadriel straightened him out about pretty quick.

On the other note, I think the Silvan Elves could have abandoned axes on principle. I know The Hobbit is only quasi-canon in some places, but it seems that the Mirkwood elves got around just fine without cutting paths through anything; they just kind of teleported from place to place. Knowing elves, if they needed a road, they probably just sang at the trees until they moved out of the way. After all, it's not like they're short on time.

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

The Elves only take so much from the enviroment to sustain them but at the same time not to damage nature in any way. No more. No less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

that is correct, but they did used wood for weapons. so i don´t think that that is a good argument regarding to the subject.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Shall we drop this discussion? I have already seen nightmares with fully equipped medieval knights charging into a battalion forming shieldwall to protect themselves with me in the 1st row... I don't want a new one...

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrok View Post
    Shall we drop this discussion? I have already seen nightmares with fully equipped medieval knights charging into a battalion forming shieldwall to protect themselves with me in the 1st row... I don't want a new one...
    Nice one!!! +rep

Sylvans should have only one axe unit and it should be AOR. That would balance it quite nicely imo.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

As far as I know Sindar of Doriath were those who used axes of Dwarves.

Eriagon's Avatar Centenarius

But there is still no good reason that they should stop using them. And the Sindar made many weapons by themselves after learning the craft from the Dwarves. Very well, this a discussion for later releases.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Eriagon View Post
    But there is still no good reason that they should stop using them.
    Err, the Dwarves killed their king...
    That's a pretty good reason if you ask me.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

To stop using axes? Despite the Dwarves of Durin's folk fought alongside you at the War of the Last Alliance?

Elves with axes? This is getting too GW even i really have nothing against it.

Senator

And what reason is that? If English kill Wells with longbow Wells stop using them?

This is getting lore-correct

Exactly my point Santeri, why should they?

Quote Originally Posted by Landkreuzer ratte View Post
    There was a unit of elves in Gondolin that were armed with axes. And one with hammers too.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Landkreuzer ratte View Post
    Sindar of Doriath used axes... Anyway, I think that main reason why they had axes was simply just that in the beginning they bought their weapons and armors from Broadbeams and Firebeards and as we know Dwarves favoured axes. Did Sindar prefer them? We can't know for sure.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Actually they bought ALL of their equipment from Nogrod and Belegost...

Quote Originally Posted by Santeri View Post
    And what reason is that? If English kill Wells with longbow Wells stop using them?
    Well since Wales created the longbow they are more in the situation of the dwarves and the english, the elves, since dwarves created the axes the elves were using which would mean if the welsh had killed the english with longbows, the english would stop using these...well at least in your analogy

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrok View Post
    Actually they bought ALL of their equipment from Nogrod and Belegost...
    No, the Elves also made their own weapons. The Elves of the Hidden Realm of Gondolin weren't trading much with the Dwarves, and made their own superb weapons and armor including Axes and War Mattocks. They also tunneled, built the magnificent stone city of Gondolin and the nearly impenetrable series of 7 Great Gates leading into the realm through a long and hidden tunnel. The weapons and armor made by the Noldo and Sindar were in the main equal to or better than Dwarven weapons, however, since Dwarven weapons and armor were extremely good and did surpass in quality some of the Elven weapons the Elves also bought and used them. The Dwarves also used Elven weapons and prized them greatly.