Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses

Default Horses

I'm trying to retexture horses a bit to look a little more like horses.... gave up on trying to tweek models at the moment as that seems beyond me.

WIP bits of horse texture applied to heavy horse model:

I've at the moment taken off the original bridle and other straps, am not sure how correct they are and they don't look great - CA has strap under eye I've not seen any evidence for anywhere else:

thought I might as well ask now before everyone tells me I've got it wrong when I think I've finished.... has anyone got any info on bridle patterns etc for 13c in british isles, and also on predominant horse colours?

For bridles I found this page which seems to imply most are simpler:
    http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/bridle.html

I know my horses are getting a bit on the glossy - well trimmed side at the moment - will try and shaggify the lower class mounts. Area around manes also needs work still as its coming up ragged.

EDIT: only model change was rein is reduced in depth - as it spends most of time no where near riders hand I thought it might be better less obvious....

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Horses

The mane is seperate!.. Does it animate??

Anyway, I'd add a bit of mane to the horse's body texture so they don't look like they're wearing wigs!, unless that doesn't bother you (bet it will now ) ..

From what I could gather the Connemara Pony is the only true (indigenous) Irish horse, I doubt many would have been imported before or during the 13c, also seems grey/white is the predominant colour. (the orange one maybe a bit to orange?, sandy seems to feature though)

Aside from that they do look like real horses, much better than those eye-liner wearing mules in vanilla, suspect once word gets out you might have a few people knocking on your door...iirc the 'horse mod' is one of the most used mods in RTW..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It's only separately uv mapped - so its separate enough to be annoying (as it gives a distinct line visible even if you paint it neck coloured), but still not very easily adjustable on model. The original textures attempt to get rid of the wig effect by having one side with an alpha'd off end (it overlaps a bit of neck underneath) unfortunately fine detail in the alpha doesn't seem to display very well so you get a bit of a flickery effect that's going to have to be got rid of for darker manes.... It's already bothering me so I'll try something else with colouring in a mo

The orange job is getting tuned down (some colours seem to turn up a bit brighter in game than they look on texture... )

Thanks for info on Connemara - I've been heading in more pony-ish direction for irish. Seems more or less anything is possible as colour / type in what people are calling Connemara today, I'm heading to mix bit like the pic here I think.

Will update pics a bit later....

Blog Entries

It's already bothering me so I'll try something else with colouring in a mo
    Thought it might.. Paint the back/top of the horses neck the same as the RTW textures, should look better..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post

Anyway, I'd add a bit of mane to the horse's body texture so they don't look like they're wearing wigs!, unless that doesn't bother you (bet it will now ) ..

From what I could gather the Connemara Pony is the only true (indigenous) Irish horse, I doubt many would have been imported before or during the 13c, also seems grey/white is the predominant colour. (the orange one maybe a bit to orange?, sandy seems to feature though)

Aside from that they do look like real horses, much better than those eye-liner wearing mules in vanilla, suspect once word gets out you might have a few people knocking on your door...iirc the 'horse mod' is one of the most used mods in RTW..

There were a variety of Irish horses in use before the 13th century. Foreign horses from Britain and France were especially prized. The Northern Irish horses were said to have been of a stronger larger build than elsewhere. But there was a select breeding of horses according to the law tracts, Horses for pulling, horses for racing, and horses for fighting. None, of course, were comparable with the size and strength of the horses in use in Britain at that time, but they suited the Irish landscape better.

Blog Entries

Foreign horses from Britain and France were especially prized.
    Indeed, I was speculating on the basis of what would be most commonly available to the Irish. I think we can guestimate those imported by the English, French, Spanish, wouldn't have been cross bred enough to be noticeable..

Saying that, to me a horse is horse is a horse..

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus
    Saying that, to me a horse is horse is a horse..
    Not to Makanyane though!

Blog Entries

Tell me about it...

thats really nice horses, man can you release a minimod of this horses - i need them

regards muscu

p.s. what must i do for this horses

Opifex

Good job on the horses. Have you seen ArgentUsher's real-horses mod?

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

@Musculus Maximus and SigniferOne

Those horses have changed a bit since they were done last April. Yes we've seen ArgentUsher's postings - nice horses - but we had decided to keep ours as part of the mod rather than a separate mini mod (sorry Musculus Maximus).

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I Liked Mak's horses pretty much. Much better looking than vanilla horses.

Rero's Avatar Senator

use marka horses
    Emi master race!
    TheIncendiaryPig

Quote Originally Posted by Rero
    use marka horses
    No we are using the horses Makanyane made.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    ... we are using the horses Makanyane made.
    Why would you not?!!! They look absolutely amazing!

If they have changed since the opening post how about a cheeky little screenshot?! I'd love to see how they have improved!

Amazing mod all round guys - really impressed!!! I will keep my eye on this one!
    "Who is the king of earthly kings, the greatest giver of gold and rings?"

amazing horses just like in real! good idea to make the horses look more, eehm acurate

Are these the horses TA will use for the next release, or are both totally independent form each other?

erm, PKH and TA are completely independent mods....
    the only connection is that KingKong (and others) have been using the battlemap building tool that Wilddog developed.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

If this modding team wishes we could donate to them the modified models of the Marka horses.
    Here are some pics:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Padded horses (can be used for any knight unit).
    [pic 1]
    [pic 2]
    Number of diferend horse colours 6.
    Number of suits 6
    Medium horses
    [pic]
    Number of horse colors 7 (but there is room for one more).
    Number of sudles 3

Unforthunatly these horse have some minor bad effects that we no one ever solved them.
    They have a bad apearence in "lance" animation (the rider often goes up to the air in few mooves of the horse).
    They need rusichi naimation folder to be factional.
    You can see some in game shots here.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII
    If this modding team wishes we could donate to them the modified models of the Marka horses.
    Thank you for the offer AnthoniusII but I got asked this same question some time ago.

We will only be using our own models developed 2-3 years ago. Out factions are set up to use them and have been since that time. The models shown in the post are nice but as you can see from the age of this thread our models were completed a lot earlier and these offer no advantage in terms of realism. Our models were set up to fit to our historical usage of heraldry (as far as we could within the game limits).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast