Thread: Question about army size

Default Question about army size

I was under the impression that the maximum number of units you could have in an army was 16. While playing as Gwent I have been attacked by a saxon army of 17 or 18 units. They can field an army of 1,200 to my 700. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm new to ATW but have played just about all other mods.

Default Re: Question about army size

max number of units has always been 20 since Shogun Total War

Sorry, I misspoke. I've got two rows of units (i guess with 10 each, totalling 20), when I look at the Ai's unit list, they have an arrow that you can click on, which brings up more units in the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_04 View Post
    Sorry, I misspoke. I've got two rows of units (i guess with 10 each, totalling 20), when I look at the Ai's unit list, they have an arrow that you can click on, which brings up more units in the army.
    ah, yes, it's a well known "visual trick". If you count units in AI armies you will see that each line has only 9 units and not 10, so 2 units are displayed in a third line in AI armies to reach 20. So it's not an AI cheat, but a really odd issue that was somehow left in the game by CA.

Ok good trick. It's still kind of tough to face the sheer size of the saxon armies. Got any ideas for facing huge enemy forces?