Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotseat Launcher Released

Default Hotseat Launcher Released

Automates Hotseat Games over a LAN (or internet*).

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1961

============================================================
    REQUIRES: - MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR: KINGDOMS version 1.05.000
    - MICROSOFT DOTNET FRAMEWORK 2.0
    - SHARED NETWORK PATH MAPPED TO A LOCAL DRIVE
    OPTIONAL (*for internet play):
    - CLOUD/SYNC APPLICATION, e.g. DROPBOX OR WINDOWS LIVE MESH
    ============================================================

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    =================
    =================

1.0 OVERVIEW
    2.0 REQUIREMENTS
    3.0 INSTALLATION
    4.0 LAUNCHING THE HOTSEAT LAUNCHER
    5.0 SETUP
    5.1 TRANSFER PATH
    5.2 GAME PATH
    6.0 HOSTING GAMES
    7.0 JOINING GAMES
    8.0 QUITTING GAMES
    9.0 MANAGING GAMES
    10.0 MOD SUPPORT
    11.0 SOURCE CODE
    12.0 CAVEATS AND KNOWN ISSUES
    13.0 CONTACT AND SUPPORT INFORMATION
    14.0 LEGAL INFORMATION
    15.0 CREDITS

1.0 OVERVIEW
    ============

The Hotseat Launcher simplifies hotseat campaign games over multiple computers sharing a mapped network drive. This is achieved by automating hotseat save game file management and providing a streamlined interface for hosting, joining and playing hotseat games.

Although this version of the Hotseat Launcher is limited to requiring a locally mapped network path, it serves as a proof of concept for a more advanced server/client hotseat tool over LAN and internet. The source code for the Hotseat Launcher is supplied with the hotseat launcher installer for other people to use and extend for such a purpose.

2.0 REQUIRMENTS
    ===============

- Retail Boxed Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms patched to version 1.05.000.
    - Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
    - Ability to map a drive letter for all player computers to the same network (or WEBDav/FTP/ VPN) path.

3.0 INSTALLATION
    ================

To install the Hotseat Launcher, simply run the supplied executable file. If you have a valid installation of M2TW: Kingdoms, installation setup will automatically determine the installation path for the Hotseat Launcher.

The Hotseat Launcher installs all files into a separate tools path, "[m2tw path]\tools\hotseat launcher\", and does not modify any existing M2TW or M2TW: Kingdoms files. This protects the existing M2TW and M2TW: Kingdoms installations.

You can also optionally install the C# source code for the hotseat launcher. This will install the source code under "[m2tw path]\tools\hotseat launcher\source\".

4.0 LAUNCHING THE HOTSEAT LAUNCHER
    ==================================

The Hotseat Launcher can be launched via a number of methods:

- Start menu shortcut
    - Desktop icon
    - Executable file: "[M2TW Path]\tools\hotseat launcher\hotseat_launcher.exe"

5.0 SETUP
    =========

When you first run the hotseat launcher, you may need to adjust the transfer and game paths.

5.1 TRANSFER PATH
    -----------------

The Transfer Path specifies a mapped network location shared by all players in the hotseat game. This is usually accomplished by using windows explorer to map a drive letter to a folder on a shared network or Virtual Private Network (VPN) or alternatively using a third party application to map drive letters to an FTP or WEBDAV folder on the internet.

All games should use a unique name used to specify a sub folder under the Transfer Path. e.g. If you use a mapped network drive, "N:", and set the Transfer Path to a sub folder, "N:\Hotseat Games\", a new game called "CCM2_game1" will create and use a sub folder of the same name in the Transfer Path, "N:\Hotseat Games\CCM2_game1\".

5.2 GAME PATH
    -------------

The game path specifies the installed location of M2TW: Kingdoms and should be configured automatically. If this path is incorrect, or you have multiple installs of M2TW: Kingdoms, you may need to choose a different M2TW: Kingdoms install path.

6.0 HOSTING GAMES
    =================

To Host a new game, verify the Transfer and Game Paths, choose "New Game", enter a unique Game Name and select the Mod, Campaign and Factions for the game. The Host will also need to choose "Your Faction" as the host faction.

You can change a number of optional game settings as listed below:

- Force Auto Resolve : Force all battles to be auto resolved
    - Hide Campaign Under Fog of War : The campaign will mark all areas never before seen on the map as black, much like in the Kingdoms: Americas campaign.
    - Disable Console : The console (where you can enter cheat commands, toggle human/ai control of factions or reset player paswords) will be disabled unless a player logs on with a valid Administrator Password (see below). If the console is disabled, it is highly recommended for the host to enter an administraor password so they can log on and turn off human control of factions or reset player passwords if required.
    - Enable Passwords : Allows player to password protect their turns. Turn this option off if you have trouble with players quitting games with password protected turns.
    - Validate Data : Core game data is validated between the first player and all subsequent players. If players are using different core data (via additional personal modding), this should show up in the start turn scrolls. This option is useful to ensure all players are using the same version of a mod and no players are cheating by modding game core files.
    - Allow Validation Failures : This option will make the game try and continue if the core data fails a validation test. In some cases it may not be possible to continue a game if some players data is sufficiently different to other players.
    - Admin Password : If the "Disable Console" option is checked, it is highly recommended for the host to enter a password to manage hotseat games if players decide to quit or need passwords reset.

Once you have specified the settings for a new game, press "Start" to begin.

7.0 JOINING GAMES
    =================

To Join a game (with the exception of the host), verify your Transfer and Game paths, choose "Join Game", select the game name and your faction and press "Start". Note that players can only be joined to one hotseat game at a time.

8.0 QUITTING GAMES
    ==================

To Quit a game, choose "Quit Game". This will stop your Hotseat Launcher from monitoring the game and return your faction back to the Transfer Path so a new player can choose to play as your faction. If you truly wish to quit a game, you should inform the game administrator so they can toggle your faction to AI control or reset your password for a new player through the console before you quit.

9.0 MANAGING GAMES
    ==================

The following commands are useful for managing hotseat games. use the '`' character when the game is running to open the dev console and enter commands. Please note that the dev console is only enabled if the "Disable Console" option is unchecked (console available to all players) or if a valid Administrator Password is set (console available to players who logon to the console with the password).

- logon [admin_password] : enable dev console if disabled.
    - logoff : disable dev console if previously disabled.
    - control [faction_label] : toggle a faction between AI and human control. Do not try and use this to add new human factions to an existing game. Only factions specified by the host at the time a game was started can be used by human players.
    - clear_password [faction_label] : clears a faction players password.
    - set_password [faction_label] [new_password] [new_password] : Set a faction players password.

If a human player wants to leave a game permanently, the administrator may be able to use the above commands to either toggle the faction to AI control or reset the player password so the faction can be used by a new player.

In the case a game has stalled due to a player quitting with a password protected faction, it is possible to upload a previous save game and modify the hs_cfg.xml file on the transfer path. This will turn the game back to a previous turn allowing another player to log in (if the console is disabled) and reset the faction password or turn the faction to AI control.

10.0 MOD SUPPORT
    ================

The Hotseat Launcher supports the use of Kingdoms Mods. To add specific support for a mod, the mod author needs to configire a Hotseat Launcher Mod config XML and either:

- add it to "[M2TW path]\tools\hotseat launcher\Data\Mods\"
    - OR add it to their mod path and add a registry entry, "hs_launchercfg" = [XML config filename], to specify the location of the xml file relative to the M2TW path, e.g. "mods\new_mod\hs_newmod.xml".

Please refer to the existing xml files under the "[M2TW path]\tools\hotseat launcher\Data\Mods\" folder for examples of how to create a config file for a mod.

11.0 SOURCE CODE
    ================

The source code for the Hotseat Launcher is provided with the installer. This is to encourage others to extend the functionality or use it as a proof of concept to produce a more robust server/client based internet Hotseat Manager. Please acknowledge the Authors of the Hotseat Launcher where appropriate.

12.0 CAVEATS AND KNOWN ISSUES
    ============================

- The Hotseat Launcher is designed to be used with Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms version 1.05.000.
    - The Hotseat Launcher may not install and/or run correctly for some downloadable distribution methods of M2TW or M2TW: Kingdoms.
    - Players can only be joined to one hotseat game at a time. To play multiple games simultaneously, you will need to copy the hotseat launcher folder and run multiple instances of the Hotseat Launcher.

13.0 CONTACT AND SUPPORT INFORMATION
    ===================================

Support for the Hotseat Launcher is provided through the Total War forums:

www.totalwarforums.com
    www.twcenter.net/forums

For non-support related enquiries, the Authors of the Hotseat Launcher can be contacted directly at:

unspokenknight@gmail.com

Due to work, family and other commitments, the Authors may not be able to reply or a may take some time to reply to any enquiries. Please do not contact the Authors of the Hotseat Launcher directly for support.

14.0 LEGAL INFORMATION
    ======================

This is an unofficial Tool for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. SEGA and the Creative Assembly do not endorse or support this Tool.

All right, title, interest and ownership rights in this Tool belong to the Authors of this Mod (as far as is legally possible).

The Authors of this Tool (and for the avoidance of doubt SEGA and The Creative Assembly) will not be held responsible for the risks connected with any loss (financial or otherwise), damage to property, lost data, console, computer or handheld device failure, errors and lost business or other information as a result of possession, use or malfunction of this Tool.

15.0 CREDITS
    ============

Programming: Kevin Stoker
    Concept and Design: Scott "Unspoken Knight" Lowther

Please also download and try the following Mods by Unspoken Knight:

- "Retrofit Mod" for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms
    - "Retrofit Multiplayer (MP) Mod" for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms
    - "Custom Campaign Mod" for Medieval II: Total War
    - "Custom Campaign Mod 2" for Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms
    Last edited by Unspoken Knight; February 18, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Default Re: Hotseat Launcher Released

Just what I was looking for! Thanks for making this awesome app =]

First, I want to thank you. I dream at a tool like that from my fisrt medieval campaign.

Now, the questions: Is there a way to alter the difficulty of the game? And can the messages from the game (the buildings constructed or a crusade announcement, for example) be "coerced" to appear on the screen?

Thank you.

The difficulty cannot currently be altered through the hotseat launcher. However, I think difficulty might be able to be specified through the command line. If it can, the player corresponding the the first faction may be able to change the difficulty in their preferences file (before the game starts), or the command line could be added to the source code for the Hotseat Launcher.

The event messages generated during one players turn cannot be coerced to appear on the screen of the next player. With the exception of a few, I believe the event messages are not saved in the save game.

Thank you for the answer.

Could you tell me the command for altering the difficulty at the command line?

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

So, does this mean that if I was to connect with a friend using an artificial LAN network like hamachi, would we be able to play the hotseat campaign without having to do all the save file managing?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Tiberius View Post
    So, does this mean that if I was to connect with a friend using an artificial LAN network like hamachi, would we be able to play the hotseat campaign without having to do all the save file managing?
    Yes

Nack's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks

This is a great tool, now I just want to get down to use it..

From the previous post you said that this can get working if me and a friend use a VPN like Hamachi? I mean.. how exactly do we go about doing this? I just don't understand what folder to map the drive to.. =/.. can you please clear that up for me?

Someone else has written a guide and tutorial video for setting up the hotseat launcher over hamachi. Check out the second post in the following link:

http://myhamachiserver.free-forums.o...ptopic166.html

Hi, first off AWSUM MOD!!!!

BUT.. i hvnt been able 2 use it

4 sum reason when i host the match, an click the START butten nothing happens.... so i went through all my options to see if everything was correct. then wen i set my .exe location it tells me its not in the folder???? which is wrong beacuse it is. any help????

Icon7 Re: Hotseat Launcher Released

I have set up a game using Hamachi and the transfer path is a shared folder on my new A:/ network drive. I had my friend connect to my Hamachi network but I don't know where to go from there. How do I get him to join the game. And does the game need to be running, because when I started the hotseat game through the launcher it said I already had done my turn and was waiting on the other players. But the game isnt even running, just the launcher.

Thanks in advance.

just out of curiosity, does this mod have any sort of feature for simultanious turns (me and my friend would not be enemys in the game)

Redesigned Naval aspect of the game, every ship type now has its place in the game, ships acts realistical, maneuvering is no longer arcadish.completly overhauled Land Combat mechanics to make combat feel as realistic as it gets with current engine. Colonizing West and East is more fun, every theatre has its specifics and require different tactic to be used.

Hello, I would really like to get this to work but how exactly would I go about writing up a transfer path for a hamachi server (I have absolutley no clue and google isnt very helpful )

I wanna play Medieval Total War 2 on lan but i cant see Custom Campaign Mod
    There is only Custom Campaign Mod 2 :S i downloaded this so many times,please help !!

Hi megtorLas,

Sorry for the late response, but CCM is not supported in the HS Launcher. The Hotseat Launcher requires Kingdoms version 1.05. CCM2 was released after Kingdoms and is fully supported in the HS Launcher. If you have Kingdoms I would suggest downloading and using CCM2 as it has a few improvements over the previous CCM.
    Total War Modder, Former Total War Developer

Some good news for those who want to use the HS Launcher over the internet. After some quick research, it seems a local folder can be synced between up to 10 users using Windows Live Mesh. This should allow the HS Launcher to work over the internet for anyone with a Windows Live ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken Knight View Post
    Some good news for those who want to use the HS Launcher over the internet. After some quick research, it seems a local folder can be synced between up to 10 users using Windows Live Mesh. This should allow the HS Launcher to work over the internet for anyone with a Windows Live ID.
    i have been trying that with some friends, but its not as i was expecting, if you share your saves folder on programfiles/sega/medieval2, its placed on users folder for the other person and then he needs to move it to programfiles/sega/medieval2/saves load it, play his turn, save and share it and same problem again its on users folder for me now. is there a way to prevent this?

Are you using the hotseat launcher? If so you shoul be able to share a synced folder anywhere on your computer, in fact I would suggest not using the saves folder. Just point the hotseat launcher to the synced folder and if it is set up correctly, it will do all the saving, copying and loading for you.

If you are using the HS launcher and it currently points to the saves folder, try instead pointing it to the corresponding users folder. You may need to also move any current HS launcher files from the saves folder to the synced folderfor any games currently underway, or start a new game if it is easier.

During my tests I think i was able to make it sync to a different location than the users folder too, not sure how I did it. I am still trying to find people to help me test a game over Live Mesh and hope to write a short guide in the future.

Please let me know if this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast