Thread: Garnier Mod Version 1 (903)

Default Garnier Mod Version 1 (903)

DOWNLOAD LINK (10MB)

Release thread on taleworlds.net

Changes:

All Faction, Character, City, Village and Castle names are renamed to Medieval European names.

Factions are as follows:
    Swadians = French
    Rhodocks = English
    Khergits = Mongols
    Vaegirs = Hungarians
    Nords = Danes

There are about 20 or so heroes, most of them are very low level. I sometimes use them, and sometimes don't. In case I want an army that I can equip myself, I will take them.

There is a built in death mod, which you can choose at the start of a game if you want to use it or not. Basically if you fall in battle and would normally be forced to surrender, you die instead. This does not happen in castle battles.

You can fight anyone independantly, and take cities/castles for yourself. If you join a faction, you lose these rights and its mostly like vanilla, but you DO have the option to leave your faction at any time.

You can choose to have your character stay the same throughout the game (if you don't care about leveling up). To do this click the "Increase X Skill" instead of "Continue" each week when the paycheck time comes.

Your party size defaults at over 200. Your party should be limited by morale, food and pay -- not by some magic number that keeps more people from following you.

The module system python files are included so you can mod this on your own. I don't care if you use anything from it in your own mods.

Maybe some more things but nothing hugely important AFAIK.

Credits: Me for most of it, and Ashes for some pieces of his Bandit King mod that I adapted for this.

A couple screenshots of the renamed things:

Last edited by Garnier; April 24, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Default Re: Garnier Mod Version 1

OMG!!! This is excellent I have to try this since I already play Band of Warriors, but is there anyway I can import heroes over to this???

+REP!

It doesn't take a large mod to be a good one nice stuff Garnier.

Yeah all I need is just a little challenge, be able to work for myself and manage a band of warriors and I'm having fun

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    OMG!!! This is excellent I have to try this since I already play Band of Warriors, but is there anyway I can import heroes over to this???

+REP!
    If you can do any M&B modding, it is very easy to add more heroes. You'd only be able to add heroes from BoW if you have access to the python scripts, I don't know if they made these available.

I have 20 or so heroes already in the game, but here is how to add more (very easy).

Retired moderator of TWC

Sounds nice! I'll download it. I like the lack of restrictions to party numbers, too, since I've always been troubled by that, and only that, when fighting enemies and taking castles.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Yeah I liked the vanilla game, but there were a few things I wanted to be different, and thankfully ALL of them were possible.

Being able to die adds a whole new level of challenge. You have to be able to escape from battles that you will lose, and often you will surrender before a battle, because you don't want to run the risk of death, where normally you'd fight because the consequences of loss are so little.
    Last edited by Garnier; April 23, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Great thanks for the info on adding heros!

I've just downloaded Band of Warriors, I'm thinking perhaps sometime in the distant future, I may add my stuff into that as an addon.

Retired moderator of TWC

Well that's even better!

Edit: Oh but have you noticed italiano's enhanced realism mod? He's looking for help I think.

Garnier, excellent mod! Would you mind some suggestions?

I wouldn't call all "Sea Raiders" "Vikings". Their appearance resembles Saxon raiders more than Viking ones, and Saxons were prolific sea marauders just like them for centuries before, mainly coming from Denmark.

Prague was never a Hungarian city.

Somehow my character got all powerful and skilled in seconds after some process. I think it relates to you resetting skills; how can we avoid that like in Native Mount & Blade?
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire le Philosophe View Post
    Garnier, excellent mod! Would you mind some suggestions?

I wouldn't call all "Sea Raiders" "Vikings". Their appearance resembles Saxon raiders more than Viking ones, and Saxons were prolific sea marauders just like them for centuries before, mainly coming from Denmark.
    Were the Saxons still marauding into the 13th century? I suppose the Vikings weren't either though..

Prague was never a Hungarian city.
    OK, just name me a good alternative and I can change that if I release another version. (if it really annoys you it's very simple to change yourself)

Somehow my character got all powerful and skilled in seconds after some process. I think it relates to you resetting skills; how can we avoid that like in Native Mount & Blade?
    Yes. When the pay-day window comes up, click "Continue" instead of any of the others, and this will leave your character as he is.

You can just import a new character if you want to continue your campaign, of course.

Right now I'm modding Band of Warriors, so I probably won't work on this mod for a while (if ever).

Retired moderator of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post

Right now I'm modding Band of Warriors, so I probably won't work on this mod for a while (if ever).

Shweeet!

Were the Saxons still marauding into the 13th century? I suppose the Vikings weren't either though..
    But then it adds flavour, nonetheless, considering the game is on a totally different world .

OK, just name me a good alternative and I can change that if I release another version. (if it really annoys you it's very simple to change yourself)
    No, it doesn't. As for Hungarian cities, there are many, like Pécs, Banat, Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Pressporók, Budapest, etc...

Really good idea. The great battlefield of Europe is always a good setting

I wrote a comment in the TW forum thread, but basically:
    Bornholm is an island, and I suggest renaming Copenhagen to Roskilde.

(I'm Danish. Can you tell? )
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder