Thread: Post your Empires!

Default Re: Post your Empires!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by brspiritus View Post
    Roleplay actually. Early game the Council of Nobles asked me to blockade Visby, presumably to help our ally Denmark who owned most of Sweden at the time and had the Norwegians in a corner but were being terrorized by pirates out of Gotland/Visby. I blockaded and invaded figuring Gotland would made a good colony with an excellent trade position. The 2nd Duke of Visby was the result of 1st cousins marrying and went from being a bit odd to dangerously mad along with the unleashed ambition trait. I figured he wasn't just going to sit around the town so I sent him to take Finland (rebel) after Novgorod had failed twice to take it (they're allies). As for owning Uppsala in Sweden that came about from a war with Norway. They were pounding on Denmark (ally), had landed their king with a raiding force in East Anglia that I utterly destroyed along with blockading Visby. I invaded and quickly took Uppsala and the province beneath it (Nyekoping?) and brushed aside a full stack army of garbage units in the process. That's when disaster happened and I faced off with a full stack of Norway's professional soldiers led by their king whilst having an army of mixed professional and urban troops. My army fought hard but after my general died the remnants of the army broke and ran. Norway quickly followed this up with attacking Nyekoping with a shattered army and were roundly defeated in the attack along with capturing their king. I released their king and made peace with them giving back Nyekoping in the process. I haven't actually tallied up the balance sheet of maintaining an army up there vs what I'm making in taxes/trade but I'd guess I'm in the black as it were as I have several merchants sitting on good resources and since I have the merchants guild HQ in Bruges my merchants all start with the guild apprentice trait and quickly build into Jedi Knight merchants. I'm negotiating with the Moors to buy the Balearic Islands so I can have a trade colony in the Mediterranean.

What are your plans now? It looks like the Moors are just about done conquering Iberia. Interesting that Castille has fell and now only Aragon remains. If they spread up into France you could be in trouble if the Norwegians declare war again.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBooyah View Post
    Looks like a pretty interesting game you got there. I like how you've kept Scotland alive as well, I just never have as much fun as England without those Highlanders constantly causing chaos.
    It is that, I've yet to figure out what the French did to tick off the Papacy but they are beyond excommunication now. it all started about 30 years prior. I know France was warring heavily with Genoa and the HRE when all of a sudden they are excommed. this has stuck through several kings and popes. King dies they reconcile, next turn they get excommed again same when a pope dies. One pope called a crusade on Toulouse with Genoa being the eventual winner. Now I have not taken advantage of this despite English Occupied France looking so large, the only province I took through warfare was Ile de France, Anjou I got through duplicity (ie 4 spies and 3 assassins blowing up public order buildings until the castle went rebel then I moved in). Aquitaine I got when France begged me for an alliance so I married their princess to my heir and she brought the Aquitaine as a dowry which is rather historical actually.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    What are your plans now? It looks like the Moors are just about done conquering Iberia. Interesting that Castille has fell and now only Aragon remains. If they spread up into France you could be in trouble if the Norwegians declare war again.
    The Norwegians are in dutch with the pope right now so they are lying low. As for the Moors, the last round of diplomacy with them revealed their priorities which was peace so I don't expect them to march further north than where they are now. They actually wanted an alliance with me but I had to decline because of conflicts of interest. If I had to guess they're scared of The Fatimids who after all we on the ropes at one time being hammered by the Byzantines, Kwarezmians and Seljuks all at the same time. They're a rather interesting comeback story as they've eliminated the Seljuks and almost chased the Byzantines out of anatolia. As for Castille and Portugal they were more interested in scrapping with one another than fighting the Moors and were eliminated in turn. The HRE has also been destroyed with the rebel province of Lithuania being their epitaph. My plans are simple, sit back and watch the show. I'm raking in a huge surplus every turn right now and I'm only at war with Lithuania because they almost (hell they did) pwned the Teutonic Order. I had to step in and relieve the siege although I don't think Poland is going to be too kindly to me now although our alliance is holding.

It is that, I've yet to figure out what the French did to tick off the Papacy but they are beyond excommunication now. it all started about 30 years prior. I know France was warring heavily with Genoa and the HRE when all of a sudden they are excommed. this has stuck through several kings and popes. King dies they reconcile, next turn they get excommed again same when a pope dies. One pope called a crusade on Toulouse with Genoa being the eventual winner. Now I have not taken advantage of this despite English Occupied France looking so large, the only province I took through warfare was Ile de France, Anjou I got through duplicity (ie 4 spies and 3 assassins blowing up public order buildings until the castle went rebel then I moved in). Aquitaine I got when France begged me for an alliance so I married their princess to my heir and she brought the Aquitaine as a dowry which is rather historical actually.

The Norwegians are in dutch with the pope right now so they are lying low. As for the Moors, the last round of diplomacy with them revealed their priorities which was peace so I don't expect them to march further north than where they are now. They actually wanted an alliance with me but I had to decline because of conflicts of interest. If I had to guess they're scared of The Fatimids who after all we on the ropes at one time being hammered by the Byzantines, Kwarezmians and Seljuks all at the same time. They're a rather interesting comeback story as they've eliminated the Seljuks and almost chased the Byzantines out of anatolia. As for Castille and Portugal they were more interested in scrapping with one another than fighting the Moors and were eliminated in turn. The HRE has also been destroyed with the rebel province of Lithuania being their epitaph. My plans are simple, sit back and watch the show. I'm raking in a huge surplus every turn right now and I'm only at war with Lithuania because they almost (hell they did) pwned the Teutonic Order. I had to step in and relieve the siege although I don't think Poland is going to be too kindly to me now although our alliance is holding.
    Interesting, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    Interesting, keep us posted.
    I played a few turns today and got up to about 1250 or so. France continues to lose ground to Genoa and I took Estonia from the Lithuanians before making peace. The Lithuanians now have the Teutonic Order under siege again and I'm not intervening this time the also took the rebel province which is their homeland after all. You are quite right about the Moors though as they have a huge number of armies in Al Andalouse and I'm worried that they will keep pushing north against Aragon. Right now my military forces consist of the The Army of England, The Army of France, The Northern Army, and the Mobile Field Siege Force. I could support another army if I wish I just don't want extra territory to have to incorporate into my kingdom.

I've started a Seljuk Sultanate campaign to give myself more of a challenge. VH/VH. Byg's Grim Reality 2, RR enabled. Things have started out quite interesting. Some major defeats against the Byzantines in the early 1220's as I did not have sufficient funds nor troop quality to contend with their armored cataphracts and professional armies. So It has been more of a guerilla war on that front. Occasional battles here and there. Recently inflicted devastating casualties when they tried to attack my position in the mountains twice. Their second attack was a very close battle but still ended in defeat... The Persians in the east did not take kindly to my trade offer and later declared war on me in the mid 1220's along with the Fatimids. However my east flank is secure for now as the Persians have their hands full contending with the Mongols who are no doubt going to steam roll them. Tiz just a matter of time before they reach my borders.. I sent an emissary and offered the Mongols military access, and autonomy over Tbilisi and Trebizond in return for a military alliance. (More like a non-aggression pact). The Fatimids sacked one of my border castles on my southern frontier and managed to hold it for about 10 years before I returned and laid siege. I then seized the initiative by counter attacking Antioch where the Fatimids were weak. The Crusader States noticed my aggression in Palestine and declared war the next turn and were quickly dispatched. As of right now I am mopping up the remnants of the Fatimid settlements in Syria and progressing into a Palestine as I keep the Byzantines at bay.

Here is my current progress:

Looks like you're off to a good start, in all my years playing both the original MTW and M2TW I've never played a muslim faction.

Update on my Seljuk campaign:
    I've continued my push into the Levant after running the Byzantines out of Anatolia. The Hungarians are incredibly powerful and sacked Constantinople and declared war on me. However I defeated them in two major battles and they sued for peace which I accepted as I had established my military priority in the south. Crusader settlements fell with ease as I pushed with my Sultan. A jihad was called on Jerusalem and I was the first to take it. When the Fatimids noticed that I was now the soul ruler of the holy land, they declared war. They are very powerful at the moment and am having to defend my holdings in Judea. As soon as I reinforce that region, I will begin my push south into Egypt.

I see a historic battle was fought SW of Jerusalem, was that you vs the Fatimids?

Civis

H/H

I started another campaign with my favourite faction Lithuania and since I find it too hard to survive in a Late Campaign as a pagan faction that gets declared war on by every faction arround I decided to try out something new. I quickly conquered the teutonic castle Palanga and started to build up a fleet. I invested all my money into 2 big armies and tried to sail to a new world with my 2 ships, hoping to find a new place to settle down and not to get destroyed by the danish navy on my way. I decided to take a foothold on Ireland and easily conquered that. While still having a budget of -30k money I had to expand my territory and/or sack English lands. The reason why I did not attack Scotland was because William Wallace appeared and the Norwegians were constantly invading England as well, so it would be an easier way to just go for the English. With only 2 armies and without beeing able to refresh any of them I won alot of major battles against the English and conquered the South of England, getting myself out of the red budget area.

After the English faction vanished, Scotland and Norwegia decided to wage war against me and send all their power into my lands. I somehow managed to beat both of them while having tons of close battles since their armies were way better geared and the Scottish Pikemen were incredibly dangerous for my Lithuanian Cavalry. (My battle tactics relied on my cavalry) After a long and hard war I won and took over whole Britain. I am now building up a nice infrastructure and developing a modern ( for that time) pagan Britain, preparing to land my invasion on Europe and take revenge on every Catholic nation that stood in my way.
    [IMG][/IMG]

BTW: Yeah i named all the cities I conquered by the General who was leading the Army or very important people for my faction at that time so they would never be forgotten
    Last edited by Stilldead; March 25, 2014 at 03:11 AM.

I see a historic battle was fought SW of Jerusalem, was that you vs the Fatimids?
    Indeed it was! When they invaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilldead View Post
    H/H

I started another campaign with my favourite faction Lithuania and since I find it too hard to survive in a Late Campaign as a pagan faction that gets declared war on by every faction arround I decided to try out something new. I quickly conquered the teutonic castle Palanga and started to build up a fleet. I invested all my money into 2 big armies and tried to sail to a new world with my 2 ships, hoping to find a new place to settle down and not to get destroyed by the danish navy on my way. I decided to take a foothold on Ireland and easily conquered that. While still having a budget of -30k money I had to expand my territory and/or sack English lands. The reason why I did not attack Scotland was because William Wallace appeared and the Norwegians were constantly invading England as well, so it would be an easier way to just go for the English. with only 2 without beeing able to refresh any of them I won alot of major battles against them and conquered the South of England, getting myself out of the red budget area.

After the English faction vanished Scotland and Norwegia quickly decided to wage war against me and send all their power into my lands. I somehow managed to beat both of them while having tons of close battles since their armies were way better geared and the Scottish Pikemen were incredibly dangerous for my Lithuanian Cavalry. (My battle tactics relied on my cavalry) After a long and hard war I won and took over whole Britain. I am now building up a nice infrastructure and developing a modern ( for that time) pagan Britain, preparing to land my invasion on Europe and take revenge on every Catholic nation that stood in my way.
    [I
    MG]
    [/IMG]

BTW: Yeah i named all the cities I conquered by the General who was leading the Army or very important people for my faction at that time so they would never be forgotten
    That is extremely interesting

Sab99's Avatar Tiro

Hey guys,

I've been playing this game for a long time now in the past and recently started a new campaign with the Byzantines.
    I think is just a plain version of the newest SS with only watchtowers enabled, VH/M as I don't really like to play battles and when I do it's just for fun.

Anyway, maybe some of you can help me in which direction to go from here.

As you can see my main focus, after allying with the Seljuks from the beginning, was securing my western borders and eventually expanding into Italy and snatching up some settlements around the Black Sea to boost my income.

The Seljuks are the most powerful at the moment and after conquering the Levant and god knows what more, they need a new target. I so happen to think that would be me, but for the time being we're still allied.
    Sicily has the castle on Sardinia, but had to retreat to north Africa where they expanded towards the Fatimids and they did a pretty good job.
    The Pope lost his capital to me and is no threat apart from one big army.
    Genoa had its lands reduced to Marseille and Pisa, not threatening at all.

Venice is quite powerful, having conquered most of the southern HRE settlements, where France took over their western territories. I think the HRE is on the brink of extinction.
    Hungary is, as always, waging war with me but I secured some castles and cities in their lands, so my defense is quite good there at the moment.

I'm not sure what to do now. I think it is a good idea to take all the settlements in northern Italy, so it's easier to make some sort of border guard there to stop all the Catholic factions. And the cities there add considerably to my income, I think I need it when war with the Seljuks becomes inevitable. Not to speak of the Mongols/Timiruds.
    Down side is, Venice has a big military presence is the area (some 5/6 full stacks spread over the terrain) and converting religion takes time.

The other plan is to, as I need to extinct the Sicilians, land into north Africa and start destroying those pesky Sicilians and ultimately end in Egypt. There are some good cities, not too far into Mongol territory at a later date and a nice starting point to conquer the Levant. It would also make it possible to start attacking the Seljuks from two sides.

I have quite a lot of money at the moment, but i'm not making any more profits. I have two full stacks around Caffa to stop the Ukrainians, one stack at Ragusa and three stacks in Italy.

And what that's about the last picture? The Mason's guild has built me a monument Don't know what that means!
    Last edited by Sab99; March 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammar

I'm about to defeat Norway, and then I'll recuperate my armies and conquer Italy (except the papal states). After that, Iberia, and then Africa. I'm trying to keep my relations with Hungary, Poland, and Venice as high as possible because they act as nice buffers between the eastern menaces and my kingdom. I've also donated almost 100,000 florins to the pope by now to stave off excommunications after eliminating France, HRE, and Norway . Difficulty is M/VH (I chose medium difficulty because in this campaign I don't want the enemies to receive bonuses, I'd rather keep the playing field level my first time around) with the AI that has the balance between peace and war.

Here are my two best armies currently as well as some other info (my generals suck because I'm pretty bad at micromanaging them and too lazy at the moment to get better)

Last edited by Grabbin_Megroin; April 06, 2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: words

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Good job, mate. I suggest finishing off the Iberian factions so as to be safe from the inevitable backstab that will come from the Pyrenees once Pope gets bored of hoarding cash.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Thanks, I'll definitely send my men that way once they've recovered. It's weird, you'd think the pope would be rich by now but whenever my diplomat drops a big bag of cash on his doorstep the diplomatic info tells me he's either poor/bankrupt. And all he manages are two regions and a small army!

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbin_Megroin View Post
    Thanks, I'll definitely send my men that way once they've recovered. It's weird, you'd think the pope would be rich by now but whenever my diplomat drops a big bag of cash on his doorstep the diplomatic info tells me he's either poor/bankrupt. And all he manages are two regions and a small army!
    If he is poor even after that much money being thrown in front of him, I think he has either got a purse with a hole, or you are just probably better off annexing him outright before he puts that money to fortify Rome.
    Last edited by General Maximus; April 08, 2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Civis

Update on my Britannic Lithuania Campaign:

I converted Britain into my pagan religion and started to build up a nice economy. After that I took revenge on the Norwegians and quickly destroyed their faction. After that I started my invasion on France which was already struggling vs Portugal and Genoa. Now where got France pretty much deleted I tried to get an alliance with either Portugal or Genoa. The problem is that everyone besides Denmark seems to hate me leading to a great war versus both Genoa and Portugal. The italian hordes are arriving at the gates of Paris (Now Jautilas, named after the brave Prince who already lost his life to the italians) one by one and I can not keep up with my reinforcements. I am kind of certain that I am going to lose this war no matter how many great victories I am able to achieve with my brave Lithuanian warriors. Not sure what to do right now

By the way: Its very interesting to see how the Papal States expanded through Italy and Germany and became one of the greater players ^^.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Stilldead; April 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Is that Scotland I see clinging on for dear life over there?

Civis

No thats the last french holding over there . Scotland and I already had our great war for Britain 50 Medieval years ago

My Scottish Campaign has reached the year 1700, wherein I control nearly a third of the world. To this effect, the royal family has redubbed scotland as the Praetorian Empire, and I decided to go slightly nuts and mod line infantry in for them. Historically inaccurate or not, it is wildly entertaining shooting up armies of thousands of knights with uniformed line infantry.