Thread: Post your Empires!

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Post your Empires!

Quote Originally Posted by Nzg View Post
    In other words, at the same time Byzantium was and wasn't Roman Empire

Maximus - Someone could name either one of them a very sick and crazy guy who believed in invisible spirits To be hones if any one of them was recognised as the pope, he probably could name himself like that. Now we're reaching philosophical issues when someone could call himself that and when he couldnt.
    Depends on political situation. If Roman Empire defeated the barbarians, the 'Pope' at present would be nothing more than official bishop of Rome, not operating much outside the city and only a figurehead for the other bishops around the empire. Above all, he wouldn't have gone crazy and forged a pretender wannabe nation out of barbarian tribes, because the Emperor would've executed him within a blink. Romans kept tight control on their official religious positions and their holders.

Argh, now someone please post a restored Roman Empire from SS to bring this back on topic. I only ever managed to do it halfway.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Seljuq Prince's Avatar Civis

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    There was only one Pope. One was the arrogant western barbarian Pope, the fool who thought that he was given godly authorities and ruled over the world and wreaked havoc on the city of Rome for a thousand years. The other one was the true one, the Ecumenical Patriarch, in Constantinople.

The western Pope originated as the official Bishop of Rome under the Roman Emperor's absolute authority. Within a few years Western Roman Emperors started to use other cities as their bases (Ravenna and Mediolanum in particular), and the bishop unofficially gained power inside the city and started to shadow-control of some offices and positions in ruling the region. By 400 AD, Roman Empire was beginning to collapse. In 406, barbarians invaded in huge numbers and could not be stopped. In 410 they invaded Italy itself and sacked Rome itself, a huge shock of the era and reduced the city from the population of almost a million to a city that had barely 100,000 people. From then on, Western Roman Emperors were completely distracted with handling the painful collapse and disloyal generals, and the bishop of Rome increasingly got in control. By 450 AD, he was in unofficial command of the entire Latium province, and had ability to negotiate in diplomacy like a fully independent warlord.

Then by 476, Western Empire was almost completely gone except for a province in Dalmatia, a piece of land in northern Gaul, and Adriatic islands. The bishop was free to reign independently, which he did under (Christianized) barbarian protection. He was again put into his rightful position when Emperor Justinian reconquered entire Italy, and remained so until the time of Emperor Maurice and Heraclius. He was also kept separate from l Then the Roman Empire lost Italy again, and collapsed heavily after Arab invasion, barely retaining Anatolia and some lands around Constantinople.

The Pope was free again, and now that there was no powerful Roman Empire to keep him in check, he grew arrogant and began considering himself as master of Christianity (and all Christian states). Then he went on to crown a false menacing barbarian wannabe usurper as 'Roman Emperor' when that little arrogant had no authority to do that. The real Roman Emperors were struggling to hold what remained of the empire.

Comparable to an insane situation like a little African country crowning one of their politicians "Presidents of the USA" (when real ones exist) and then decieving every man within their grasp that he is the real one and the one actually ruling USA is a false one.

Then the western barbarian wannabe's continued to believe that they have reformed the Roman Empire and all it's glory, while continuing their barbaric ways and pillage and looting. Real Romans recovered some and returned into a partial Mediterranean superpower, but the barbarians continued to believe the arrogant Pope who pulled strings from behind using religious threats and warnings, and his false forged 'empire' that was ruled by barbarians.

And a lot of western barbarians pretending to be civilized (still doing that) continued to believe it to be the true Roman Empire until 1807, while real Roman Empire collapsed yet again, made another partial recovery and finally vanished, being massacred and sacked by even more gruesome and cruel Turkish barbarians from the east.

Or so it seems. This was partially true. But the Pope had grown too much out of his shoes, and become too arrogant and independent-minded to be controlled. The barbarian refused to recognize Ecumenical Patriarch as a superior in the compromise of being offered to be declared the official Patriarch of Rome, and then the barbarian bishop went out of his way to create a new false nation full of barbarians and give it the name of a glorious old empire now in peril, and decieve them to believe that the new one is the real one. The barbarians readily believed, and pretended to be civilized Romans just because they learnt how to speak Latin.

I have never knew the world is filled with so many barbarians.. The east, the west germans frenchs turks arabs were all equal then as a barbarian nation

Quote Originally Posted by Seljuq Prince View Post

I have never knew the world is filled with so many barbarians.. The east, the west germans frenchs turks arabs were all equal then as a barbarian nation
    From Roman point of view, everybody who was not Roman was a barbarian, even if he is a subject. That applies to both Greek and Roman empires. No matter how civilized the 'barbarians' might be in reality.

Biarchus

Well... The term itself came from barba, meaning beard in latin. At first, barbarians were called the tribes that were bearded Africans, Asians etc. were not called Barbarians, northern(for Romans) Europeans were called Barbarians. That also depends on which age are we talking in particular. Through history everything changes.

You say that if Romans would beat barbrians... but we don't know what would happen in the next 1500 years Empires have the tendency to collapse. For an empire to exist, there must be a strong leader but after times of well being spoiled leaders come to power, hence the collapsion(sooner or later). We don't know if the pope would even exist now.

In fact, the diversity of christianism reaches so many people, mostly of the lower class composed of majority and not beeing subject to the legal authority of the church could bring rebelions and so on(as if it didn't happen ). Even if Romans would beat their enemies, in some time the church could come to power. Would you like the greatest city in the world to revolt, or just let the guy in the pointy hat have some power?

I guess you've read Decline and Fall? I'm reading it at the moment.

My current French Campaign 1419AD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campaign.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	303430

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    My current French Campaign 1419AD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campaign.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	303430
    Lol, westward migrations. You drove the HRE into Eastern Europe and the Egyptian faction into Persia. .

A near-complete reversal of what happened in 406 AD, except that French and Spanish would be somewhere in modern Germany and Romania at that time.

How many doomstacks do you field?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Nothing unusual about the germans in greece...

Lol, westward migrations. You drove the HRE into Eastern Europe and the Egyptian faction into Persia. .

A near-complete reversal of what happened in 406 AD, except that French and Spanish would be somewhere in modern Germany and Romania at that time.

How many doomstacks do you field?
    It has been an interesting campaign indeed. The Pope dared to declare war on me when they saw I had my eyes on Venice. I considered it the "War of Papal Aggression." Needless to say, the militia forces of the Italian states were no match for the professional armies of the Kingdom of France. I Steamrolled my way to Venice (after they declared war on my nation.) The Papacy sent 5 stacks, including the Pope, to Northern Italy to contend with my invasion and defend the Venetians, however, their forces crumbled. The Pope was killed in battle in the Alps. They did put up quite a fight at the Rubicon though . Their Swiss Halberdiers were fine soldiers if committed into melee.. Easily dispatched if shot at with crossbow and/or surrounded. They always fought to the last man though, indeed respectable. After I had made mincemeat out of the Papal soldiers and killed their pope, a Genoese cardinal was elected, bringing the Genoese into the war. Sicily attacked my holdings in the Nile Delta but did not hold onto Alexandria for long. A lengthy 4 year siege and the Sicilian forces abdicated and peace was settled. As I blitzkrieged deeper into central Italy, the Fatimid Caliphate (whom relations had grown weary with once they were attacked by the Holy Roman Empire, who I decided to side with seeing as they were more of a threat to me on my eastern front.) The Fatimids mobilized their forces to seize Egypt once and for all, but were easily paid off as I granted them land in Cappadocia. Peace was settled, and I continued my push into Italy.

Here are a few glimpses of the campaign map. I haven't had the time to count the numbers of my army. Some stacks are in the field, some recently ransacked cities. I will give a grand total of my forces at a later date.

Last edited by TheGovna; March 11, 2014 at 08:42 PM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I notice there's a lot of mines with no merchants on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    I notice there's a lot of mines with no merchants on them.
    Once you build a mine the merchant is useless for that resource

Doesn't the mine work as a permanent merchant for the resources they've been placed onto, adding to the trade and tax values and bringing in extra cash in the same way merchant would've done?

Doesn't the mine work as a permanent merchant for the resources they've been placed onto, adding to the trade and tax values and bringing in extra cash in the same way merchant would've done?
    Correct! It's a way to permanently monopolize that resource without the risk of losing your assets to a foreign merchant.

L&O_92's Avatar Foederatus

Wow!

hi^^ may I ask how do I create an image of my current campaign like you guys ( I've been playing a 6.3 lituanian campaign for a while ) I hold 58 settlement years 1230 and turn 131.

The kiev rus, novogov, poland, danish, venice are eliminated. The HRE is reduced to once castle, and the Byzantine empire is reduced ro 3 cities I think ( those guys were hard lituanian units suck compared to them XD around 30% less stats not to mention byrantine unit have unbreakable morale)

The cumans are reduced to 3 cities inside my empire ( they are my ally since the start) I am now crushing the genoa ( who just started war with me) and the kwarezmian who have incredibly strong general and royal cavalry!.

All in all my empire will increase by around 5-6 cities in the next 5 turns and I would like to show you guys my frontiers^^

Hit print screen, alt-tab out and open up paint, paste into that and save. That's the easiest way.

The world in 1244, I'm playing as England...

Why did you feel the need to invade Sweden and Finland? Was there a particular strategic reason?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovna View Post
    Why did you feel the need to invade Sweden and Finland? Was there a particular strategic reason?
    Roleplay actually. Early game the Council of Nobles asked me to blockade Visby, presumably to help our ally Denmark who owned most of Sweden at the time and had the Norwegians in a corner but were being terrorized by pirates out of Gotland/Visby. I blockaded and invaded figuring Gotland would made a good colony with an excellent trade position. The 2nd Duke of Visby was the result of 1st cousins marrying and went from being a bit odd to dangerously mad along with the unleashed ambition trait. I figured he wasn't just going to sit around the town so I sent him to take Finland (rebel) after Novgorod had failed twice to take it (they're allies). As for owning Uppsala in Sweden that came about from a war with Norway. They were pounding on Denmark (ally), had landed their king with a raiding force in East Anglia that I utterly destroyed along with blockading Visby. I invaded and quickly took Uppsala and the province beneath it (Nyekoping?) and brushed aside a full stack army of garbage units in the process. That's when disaster happened and I faced off with a full stack of Norway's professional soldiers led by their king whilst having an army of mixed professional and urban troops. My army fought hard but after my general died the remnants of the army broke and ran. Norway quickly followed this up with attacking Nyekoping with a shattered army and were roundly defeated in the attack along with capturing their king. I released their king and made peace with them giving back Nyekoping in the process. I haven't actually tallied up the balance sheet of maintaining an army up there vs what I'm making in taxes/trade but I'd guess I'm in the black as it were as I have several merchants sitting on good resources and since I have the merchants guild HQ in Bruges my merchants all start with the guild apprentice trait and quickly build into Jedi Knight merchants. I'm negotiating with the Moors to buy the Balearic Islands so I can have a trade colony in the Mediterranean.

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

Looks like a pretty interesting game you got there. I like how you've kept Scotland alive as well, I just never have as much fun as England without those Highlanders constantly causing chaos.