Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117142157158159160161162163164165166167
Results 3,321 to 3,338 of 3338

Thread: Post your Empires!

Default Re: Post your Empires!

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Yeah well, the game does allow the CS to recruit western style heavy troops in the Levant, is that historical?
    Would have been more realistic IMO, if such troops were only available as mission rewards and the only recruitable troop types were local levies (of low loyalty and morale) and mercenaries.
    (On the other hand Egypt and Mesopotamia provided a near endless supply of jihadists-still do).

And the mod does make CS a single faction with a unified sense of purpose, is that historical?
    Was it not the reality of the day that the CS were independent principalities, only forming ad hoc alliances, even -sometimes- with Muslim princes against Christian rivals?

From the above unhistoricities grow the rest.

The two examples you presented are actually pretty historically accurate. The influx of European troops into the Holy Land is one of the main reasons the Crusader States were even able to survive for as long as they did and were a key factor in keeping the territories conquered by the original Crusader armies.

While Crusader States were independent governments, and they often formed alliances with Muslim forces, as far as I know, they never warred with one another. There was much more political tension and rivalry between the Crusader states than there was outright fighting between them.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Check out my Venetian Empire by the year 1499!

Here it is by 1511, with the conquest of the rest of the Black Sea region. As you can see my ally Novgorod is also kicking back and reclaiming the Russian lands from the Timurids, who had taken it from the Golden Horde not long ago.

My empire has been so big for so long that I've developed quite a royal purse. Look at that treasury! It's ridiculous! It's also very easy to bribe the pope in Rome, who has retained an alliance with my faction since the 13th century! Luckily for me various popes saw fit to excommunicate convenient factions early on, allowing me to expand into the heart of Christendom. Strangely enough, some factions like Scotland and Norway also disappeared overnight by losing too many of their family members in battle, or just dying out. When that happened, I decided to conquer Scandinavia and give it all to my loyal tributary vassal Poland. Well, except for Denmark, which I decided to retain for my own faction. The "Kingdom of England" is restricted entirely to the island of Ireland, where they have been my loyal tributary vassal since the late 14th century.

Nice one Roma...
    That's a lot of Venicians
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Nice one Roma...
    That's a lot of Venicians
    I like to think that each region of Europe, West Asia, and North Africa have retained their ethnic and linguistic heritages, while gradually earning citizenship within the Venetian Republic, kind of like the evolution and expansion of Roman citizenship overtime until Caracalla's Constitutio Antoniniana of 212 AD. Or perhaps each region is an individual republic with either a local democracy or oligarchy, or a monarchy/diarchy allied to the Republic of Venice with their own local laws, customs, communes, guilds, and assemblies. That would be cool if Stainless Steel had a government building tree to that effect, kind of like Europa Barbarorum II where you can establish different government types.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

What mod is this? I have never seen that black faction before. Who are they?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    What mod is this? I have never seen that black faction before. Who are they?!
    I'm guessing you play a lot of SSHIP where they are not present, but in regular old Stainless Steel 6.4 the emerging faction of the 14th century, after the Mongol Golden Horde, are the TIMURIDS! Timur the Lame and his armies show up on the campaign map at about 1370 AD, bringing Islam back to Central Asia after the pagan rule of the Golden Horde.

It's the one thing I think SSHIP is sorely missing. After the Mongol Golden Horde pretty much stomps most of Asia (with China and Korea not even shown in that case), what's left of Islam? Especially if Fatimid/Ayyubid Egypt gets wiped out in your alternative reality timeline. India does not exist on our campaign map, but historically Timur crushed his enemies in northern India and Central Asia before terrorizing Persia, Mesopotamia, and Anatolia. In SSHIP, this never comes to pass and whatever faction doesn't get swallowed by the Golden Horde gets to fill the void. That could very well be the Seljuqs of Rum, who are more likely to survive than the Zengids, Abbasids, the Seljuk Empire/Ghurids, Georgians, Cumans, or Kievan Rus. However, it could very well allow something funky and non-historical like the Byzantines or Republic of Novgorod to conquer all of Central Asia and Persia, once the Mongol Horde has spent its wad and goes into full decline.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow! That explains it. I don't think I've ever had a campaign go beyond about 100 to 150 turns. By that time I've always conquered within the maximum extent of what was historically feasible (for example, the Byzantines are back to their 1025 borders as of Basil; II's reign) or with the Moors I have conquered all of Spain and North Africa and captured Sicily and the Italian mainland as far as Rome, building a lavish mosque in the city. But I always lose interest after that. Once my faction's main enemies are defeated and I dominate the area that faction occupied historically, there seems little left to do.

Your achievement in getting into the 14th century is epic! I don't think I've ever even seen the Mongol invasion, let alone Timurids. Unless it happens in the first 100 turns or so, it's prettymuch uncharted territory (for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Wow! That explains it. I don't think I've ever had a campaign go beyond about 100 to 150 turns. By that time I've always conquered within the maximum extent of what was historically feasible (for example, the Byzantines are back to their 1025 borders as of Basil; II's reign) or with the Moors I have conquered all of Spain and North Africa and captured Sicily and the Italian mainland as far as Rome, building a lavish mosque in the city. But I always lose interest after that. Once my faction's main enemies are defeated and I dominate the area that faction occupied historically, there seems little left to do.

Your achievement in getting into the 14th century is epic! I don't think I've ever even seen the Mongol invasion, let alone Timurids. Unless it happens in the first 100 turns or so, it's prettymuch uncharted territory (for me).
    Oh my God, dude, you have no idea how epic the Mongol invasion is, occurring around AD 1220 or so (when they were historically conquering the Jurchen Jin dynasty and Western Xia dynasty of northern China). If you start a late period instead of early period campaign, the Mongols are already on the easternmost fringes of the map, in the heart of Central Asia (poised to take Khwarazmia). In vanilla M2TW the Golden Horde invasion force is a total joke. In Stainless Steel the Mongols have a terrifying amount of full stack armies. I've never bothered to count them all, but they probably amount to 40 or 50 field armies marching around all at once.

And no, I'm not kidding about that.

In each of my campaigns they manage to take over Ukraine and most of Russia, as they did historically. Any Islamic faction still inhabiting Persia, Mesopotamia, and the Caucasus gets wiped out by about AD 1260 or so, being replaced by the pagan Mongol faction. Islamic rule tends to be absent from these regions until the Timurid arrival in Central Asia at around AD 1370. It's important for that to happen, in my opinion, and from what I can tell from just starting my first SSHIP campaign, the Golden Horde is probably going to swallow the Islamic factions in Asia. The problem with SSHIP, however, is that they don't have the Timurids, and as far as I know they don't have faction reemergence. That means Persia, Mesopotamia, and the Caucasus could effectively see Islam being marginalized or completely wiped out for the entirety of the campaign thereafter. That is, if a faction like the Seljuks of Rum or Fatimids/Ayyubids of Egypt aren't around to refill the void left by the collapsing Golden Horde.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 6.17.37 PM.png 
Views:	235 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	349717

A Norweigan Empire Campaign.

Quickly destroyed Denmark for control over Scandinavia, and allied with the Holy Roman Empire to secure my only land border. Next invaded Scotland who had already declared war on me and captured rebel Ireland. From there attacked England from three sides and eventually pushed them off the island. For good measure, sent a viking raiding party to Caen to finish them off and fulfill the victory conditions.

Meanwhile, to the south my imperial allies we're collapsing from Byzantine, Genoese, French and Polish attacks. I tried to assist by invading Poland and brokering a peace between them and the Byzantines by securing a marriage alliance with a Roman princess. It wasn't enough, the HRE collapsed and it provinces became independent.

I continued campaigning across the baltic countries making client states of Poland, Novgorod and the Teutonic Order. Lithuania was briefly a Norwegian client state as well but the Teutonic order was bent on wiping them out, so they're gone now.

An alliance of the Iberian kingdoms of Leon and Portugal launched several incursions into my English territory so I launched a counter attack, which failed. Two full armies, and a Norse King and Prince were lost. After mustering more armies, I took some islands in the Mediterranean from the Republic of Genoa which had declared war on me over the HRE's former lands, and used them as staging grounds for a new invasion of Iberia.

With surgical strikes on Leon and Portugals coastal cities, I eventually conquered all of Iberia save for each kingdoms new capital in the center of the peninsula. They both agreed to become client states in return for most of their land.

The brief wars with Genoa, Aragon and Sicily all ended in ceasefires, and with borders secured by seas, allies and client states. The Kingdom of Norway turns towards the Fatimid Caliphate and the Golden Horde which threatens her Novgorodian vassals.

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Dude, it's totally the same here. I mean I just feel like there's no point carrying on after getting back to the historical boundaries of the nation I'm playing. I don't know if it's due to me feeling like the rest of the campaign would just be a constant grinding of battles and spamming of units, or if I just feel like leaving my empire off on the highest note it ever had in history. I don't really know to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by KmanBEAST View Post
    Dude, it's totally the same here. I mean I just feel like there's no point carrying on after getting back to the historical boundaries of the nation I'm playing. I don't know if it's due to me feeling like the rest of the campaign would just be a constant grinding of battles and spamming of units, or if I just feel like leaving my empire off on the highest note it ever had in history. I don't really know to be honest.

Try getting into it RPG-style.
    What if so-and-so hadnt happened in history? How greater could your empire have been?
    Concentrate on your royal family and all the twists and turns it could take... how well can you manipulate it

Family, which is something newer and newer versions of TW de-emphasizes, is something that was extremely important in actual history.

Henry VIII set the entire European continent atwitter when he broke from the Catholic church.
    It eventually led to America and the United States...
    All because of his desire for a male heir (family)!
    Last edited by Duck of Death; January 09, 2018 at 08:54 PM.

First post. Hope I don't make to many mistakes in uploading the images/

Here is my Novgorod empire. Year is 1318, Waiting in the last 30 years for the Timurids. Thought I was ready for the mongols, when they spawned. I wasn't, they took one city twice (Khiva). 50 stacks later, the mongols were no more.

OF course any good ruler hires some mercenaries, English longbows (protecting the capital against any peasant uprising for now ), elephants and Byzantine archers should help. Also got a purse with 25 millions in the bank.

Do you think it's enough?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140629...posted-public/

Last edited by lolIsuck; March 11, 2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: double post merged

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Try getting into it RPG-style.
    What if so-and-so hadnt happened in history? How greater could your empire have been?
    Concentrate on your royal family and all the twists and turns it could take... how well can you manipulate it

Family, which is something newer and newer versions of TW de-emphasizes, is something that was extremely important in actual history.

Henry VIII set the entire European continent atwitter when he broke from the Catholic church.
    It eventually led to America and the United States...
    All because of his desire for a male heir (family)!
    i have an even better idea, play always in hotseat mode and change factions when you get bored of your current one

build a behemoth of an empire (like Roma_Victrix's) then change to another faction and try to stop it, even more fun if you use viva la rebelion submod as it allows you to bring factions back from the dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    i have an even better idea, play always in hotseat mode and change factions when you get bored of your current one

build a behemoth of an empire (like Roma_Victrix's) then change to another faction and try to stop it, even more fun if you use viva la rebelion submod as it allows you to bring factions back from the dead

I tried that in the past.
    Playing in hotseat, took Byzantines and Venice to recreate the east and west Roman empires... didn't follow through on it though (only got about 50 turns in).

Only thing about switching factions mid-game... I inherit an alien family that has morphed all over the place and have to give up the family that I spent countless turns building

Quote Originally Posted by Ionut B View Post
    Do you think it's enough?
    Just enough lol

Here's mine. 1357 AD Moors.

Allied with the Fatimids early on as sort of a Muslim solidarity move. Plus, I didn't want them invading my North African cities while I was focusing on Western Europe. I also allied with Lithuania as kind of an F U to the pope who kept blockading my ports and because I wanted a friend in Eastern Europe, a region I'm not very interested in taking for myself. Seeing as how Novgorod was on its way out, Lithuania became the only real candidate. I had no idea both of my friends would develop into enormous empires... Lithuania was a huge surprise. They were a large empire by the time the Teutonic Order showed up and made quick work of them. Making them a vassal. They also took out Novgorod almost a century before that, expanding to the far eastern side of the map. The Fatimids growing to their size was less surprising.. However, this entire time I was banking on the Timurids taking at least half of their lands. Nope... Timurids came and can't seem to do much. They took a handful of territories and are apparently already at their limit. (Even with me secretly funding them) Like the Mongols, they have this annoying issue of going bankrupt almost immediately thus beginning a countdown to their demise. I'm basically holding their hand at this point. The Fatimids are just too powerful. I know they will betray me eventually (hopefully after I deal with Denmark) and I will have to face them. Which is just as well because I want Turkey and Greece. I'd rather not face them alone though but whatevs...

Maybe I'll give the Timurids a million florins just to keep them competitive with the Fatimids. I'm earning over 100k per turn now anyway.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Awesome empires!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar