Thread: IX Elections Thread - all candidacies, debates and campaigning

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default IX Elections Thread - all candidacies, debates and campaigning

IX Elections
    Starting early as the tradition now goes. Candidacies and campaigning go on until Friday, voting starts Saturday sharp.

Positions Available
    Consul - Senior or Junior
    Praetor
    Tribune of the Plebs - 5 max.
    Pro-Praetor of Corsica and Sardinia

The new Pro-Praetor position is the result of a decision to add the position of Pro-Praetor to the constitution.

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; April 27, 2008 at 03:20 AM.

Default Re: IX Elections Thread - all candidacies, debates and campaigning

A man in his mid thirties takes the stand. He is a relatively unknown entity as this is his first year serving as a Senator. Although he is not a wellknown man, he posesses promise. He stands confidently and erect as he adresses the masses.

"Senators, People!

I, Caius Pontif hereby announce my candidacy for the position of Tribune of the Plebs. I have no previous qualifications to boast about. I have been a regular member of the Senate for the duration of this term's elections, giving my opinion in the Senate House and vocalizing what I felt best for Rome. If I am given the oppurtunity to show the Senate what I can do, I will not let you down. Expect my full participation and concern in the matters of the people. Taxes should be lowered to ease financial strains, while the military should be properly upkept. We can achieve this with my help. I will find the perfect balance of spending and taxation so that all parties are pleased! It seems to me that in the constant banter about campaigns and diplomatic missions, the voice of the people is not heard. And why is this? The people are the ones responsible for the legions, the missions. We must remember that all we do here is for them. I dare not apply for a more senior position as others exist with currently more influence. but given this oppurtunity, I will not fail you. "
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 23, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

"I, Gaius Valerius Corvinus, announce my candidacy for Praetor."

The Plebs in the Campus take little notice towards this, and consider Gaius as just some random Equestrian who is seeking political power solely for himself. Sensing some sort of ignorance among the crowd, Gaius does not dissend back into the masses, but instead, makes a speech to go along with his announcement.

"I know many of you here today do not know me, and I will admit that I am not surprised by this. My accomplishments are not as great as my brother's, and I have very little political experience...

Yet, I feel I am right for this job. I have served as Censor previously, and my report detailed everything from our side of the Padus to the harsh deserts of Libya. Any scandals which I uncovered were revealed instantly, and I even giving you, the common people, better living conditions. How can you all pay no attention to me when I am not only the brother of Consular Marcus Valerius Corvinus, but a member of the Valerii clan. Haven't we Valerii been known for our support and love towards the Plebeians?

Do not think that I will use my power to increase my own wealth or stature. You all must know of my refusal to accept bribe of thousands of denarii from a Pergamine diplomat. My own refusal secured me the office of Censor and it persuaded the Senate to not send help to Pergamum, which agreed with my original beliefs.

So, make your decision, People of Rome, and choose who you think is best for the office of Praetor."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

I, Marcvs Ivnivs Brvtvs Caepionis, hereby announce my decision to run as Junior Consul.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I Marcus Aelius Triarius, will run for yet another term as Tribune of the Plebs.
    But if it is the senates will that I should travel to the far east, then I do have to windrow my candidacy
    as that jobb is of far more importace under these instabil times we now are aboute to face
    Last edited by apple; April 23, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I, Quintus Marius Parthicus, have decided to run again for Consul. I shall not be specific on which level of consul, as I will just see from the number of votes who will become Junior or Senior.

These are troubled and dire times for Rome. She is at war with both the Greeks and the Gauls, a slight misttake, a small misfortune in battle, and it might be the end of us. This is a time for strong and faithful leaders who will see through their own ambition to lead Rome onward to final victory and glory. And as a senator of 11 years of senatorial experience, I have seen plenty of ambitious men, mostly young. I was even once one myself. However, it is the senators who are starting to age, those who have stared war in the face before, who know how to deal with another one. Of these men, there are fewer.

If I get voted in for Junior Consul I will endeavour to preserve the will of the Republic in the motions we see divisions to, and impose Consular Veto on anything that seems to give a lot of personal power. I shall elect a Princeps Senatus and Censor who will both do their work well, and I must say that late Princeps Senatii have not been very active in their roles. If the Senior Consul requires my services on the front, I shall obey his orders over what my own mind thinks, though I shall also give the Senior Consul any advice that comes to mind.

If I get voted in for Senior Consul, I shall start going on the offensive against the Greeks, so that it will more be they who will be forced onto the back foot than us. However, I shall fully respect the orders of the Senate, and if they instruct me to only stay on the defensive, I shall do so. If any of our forts or cities are besieged, I shall do my best to defend them with as minimal loss of life as possible. I will continue the cycle started by Consul Vitruvius (if he hasn't finished yet) and put all the legions through a weapon upgrade. And if the Senate asks me to go on the offensive, I shall utilise the auxiliaries of Sicily as a rearguard.

So vote for me people of Rome, and you shall see that leader that is needed in these times, lead you and the forces of our Roman Republic to final victory!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A grayed but confident looking senator walks grimly to the Rostrum.

"I, Lucius Aurelius Lepidus, announce my candidacy for Tribune of the People."

"I intend to use my position in this office to fight for the people, as they intended when the plebs forced the institution of this esteemed post. I will exercise my veto on any bill that I feel unfairly taxes the already strained populace of this great Republic in any way. As the Tribune of the People should."

Having finished his speech, the senators strides confidently out of the building, heading for his domus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I Quintus Julius am running for Pro-Praetor of Corsica and Sardinia. I hope to make full use if possible to make them the richest provinces of the empire, maybe raise a few armies, and even try to take some provinces. I am young, and have never been given a chance. Plz vote for me in this next election, and you wont regret it!

ooc: In case you want to know, the job of a Propraetor is just to manage the province, and under the constitution, they technically aren't allowed to start wars.

I the recently returned veteran Senator Gauis Antonius Constantinius would like to declare my canidicy for Tribune of Plebs

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

So Far

Tribunes Elect are...
    Caius Pontif
    Marcus Aelius Triarius
    Lucius Aurelius Lepidus
    Gauis Antonius Constantinius

Praetor Elect is...
    Gaius Valerius Corvinus

Consuls Elect are...

Marcvs Ivnivs Brvtvs Caepionis
    Quintus Marius Parthicus

I,Lucius Aemilius Paulus would like to run for pro-Praetor of Corsica and Sardinia. I will try to inprove the lousy econamy by improving trade dramaticly. with this new income we will try to renforc massila and hold off the possably oncoming horde of greeks.

Propraetor elects are...

Lucius Aemilius Paulus
    Quintus Julius

As tribune of the plebs I nominate Spurius Vitruvius for consul in absentia

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (31)
    Senator of Rome

As tribune of the plebs I nominate Servius Labienus Africanus, my father, for consul of Rome in absentia.

I stand here before you senators and people of Rome.
    My father has proven himself a victor in every battle.
    He has won the grass crown for his victories and now he will lead Rome to greatness against the greek invasion.

I will only give you this... a report of his victories in Africa, Italy and Gaul.
    You can decide if he is worthy or not.

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (31)
    Senator of Rome

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I,Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus,declare my candidacy for the Tribune of the Plebs.

If I get elected,I will talk for the people and to the people to make them clear how the things go in the Senate.Of course I will not try to be a close friend to them a only so much that they will trust me.I will veto the motions to increase taxes cause those we have now a re big enough.If you care for the people,vote me as the Tribune of the Plebs."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

I, Marcus Lucretius Falco, hereby announce my Candidacy for Praetor.

My opponent speaks of experience as censor, of uncovering scandals and of refusing bribes. It shows character to have done all these things, but it is not what a praetor needs to do. I have been a praetor, and I know what a praetor must do. He must listen, he must notice, he must debate. A praetor's success is as much the result of his own talents as the senate's, but it is still in a large part the man's talents which make or break the praetor.

My opponent has talents, I will not deny that, he is a good man, he has a brilliant brother, but he is not fit to be praetor. I on the other hand have shown my talent before, you all know I am a good praetor. In this troubled age we cannot afford to put an inexperienced man in the praetorial seat, lest he do something wrong. You need me as praetor, for the good of the Republic.
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 25, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

ooc: Wow, there is competition for every single position available.

A man steps up on a stool, he is an average looking man, with average height and average eyes, but the voice that booms from him is deep and rich and carries very far…

“Romans who I am is not important… what is important is that I represent Spurius Vitruvius Habitus… you may know he cannot be here because he is fighting the Hellenic League in the east, however he still wishes to speak to the people. The following is a letter from him that I shall read word for word…"

"Friends!
    I write to you to ask you once more to vote for me as Consul. If you’ll remember I spoke to you last time about being a true Republican; about the problems that the Republic of Rome faces, the problems of too much power being in one man’s hands. It grieves me that I cannot begin to work on these problems because the minute I stepped into office the Hellenic League attacked. Let us talk about the Greeks! They represent everything that Rome is not! They are tyrannical, oppressive and their once proud democratic society is now but a shell… I am not a man that enjoys war. But when war is thrust upon us, by people such as these, it becomes a necessary thing. There are those of you, who have heard about my brother, who think that perhaps I am in this for vengeance… the fact of the matter is there will always be a part of me that is filled with anger towards the Greek nation, there is a part of me that wants to storm every town looking for our beloved eagle standard and all that is left of my brother’s legion! I am only human and these thoughts are natural. But I am also a Roman! And more than anything I want to see these people free! Free to have a senate once more! Free from the oppression of the Spartans! Free to walk the streets in safety! Rome is the nation to free these people and free them we must!

Spurius Vitruvius Habitus"

The orator steps down, applause and cheering fills the air.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)