Thread: What, no topics about historic Iraqi election?

Early reports suggest up to 72% of ALL eligible voters turned out. Iraqis are out there voting DESPITE the terrorists, and here's someone drawing parallels between Iraq today and Algeria 10 years ago:

For more than 10 years the [GIA] terrorists held the initiative, attacking where and when they wished, forcing the government’s forces into a defensive posture. The terrorists specialized in mass killings. In Bin Talha, a suburb of the capital Algiers, for example, they cut the throats of some 800 people, mostly women and children, in a single night. They also targeted the ordinary personnel of the army and the police, in the hope of discouraging young Algerians from enlisting in government forces.

Like the Iraqi insurgency, part of which desires a return to Baathist power, part of which desires a pure Islamic state, the GIA did not offer Algerian citizens a viable alternative to the Algerian government. Their goal of creating an oppressive Islamic state along the lines of Afghanistan’s Taliban was unpopular. The GIA could only intimidate their neighbors.

Algerian terrorists never came up with anything resembling a political program. They just killed people. They killed children on their way to school. They chopped the heads of Christian monks and Muslim muftis. They murdered trade unionists, political leaders, and journalists. They captured teenage girls and forced them into temporary marriages with “the holy warriors.” They seized hostages, burned schools and hospitals, blew up factories and shops, and did all they could to disrupt the economy. At times they pulled off spectacular coups, for example by murdering the country’s president, and its most prominent trade union leader.

Iraqi insurgents are furiously working to attack Iraqi institutions and civil servants poll workers and organizers, police, soldiers, and interim government officials; and infrastructure such as the water, oil and electricity industries. In Algeria the GIA attempted to destroy the foundations of civil society. The Algerian Army was targeted to reduce its effectiveness, and democratic elections were opposed by any and all means.
    They pursued two objectives. The first was to destroy the Algerian Army by killing as many recruits as they could in the hope that this would provoke mass desertions.
    The second was to prevent the holding of any elections. “Democracy means the rule of the people,” Antar Zu’abri, one of the most notorious of the terrorist chiefs, killed in action in the 1990s, liked to say. “Those who want the rule of the people defy the rule of God, which is Islam.”
    (Sound familiar? Recall al-Zaqawari saying that anybody voting was an 'enemy of God.' )

Eventually, the Algerian government learned that democracy was the only way to sideline the insurgency. Elections gave the fence sitters – those who despised the violent tactics of the GIA but lacked the courage or means to oppose them – an opportunity to take sides in the war and empower their government to fight the brutal terrorists. Elections in Algeria effectively split the moderates from the extremists by asking them to chose sides and take responsibility for their future.
    They soon realized that the terrorists lacked a significant popular base. But it was also clear that a majority of Algerians had adopted a wait-and-see attitude, hating the terrorists in secret but too frightened of them to make a clear stand against them in public. The key, therefore, was to mobilize the “silent majority” to demonstrate the isolation of the terrorists.
    The most effective way to do that was to hold elections. Few people are prepared to die, and even fewer are willing to kill in support of their political opinions. But almost everyone is ready to vote. The task of a civilized society is to render the expression of political opinions easy. The terrorists made it difficult because they demanded of the people to kill [or be killed]. The Algerian leaders decided to make it easy by asking the people to vote.
    The turning point came in 1995 when Algeria organized its first ever pluralist and direct presidential election. This is was not an ideal election. The candidates were little known figures that had appeared on the national political scene just a couple of years earlier. None presented a coherent political program. To make matters worse the terrorists did all they could to prevent the election. They burned down voter registration bureaus and murdered election officers. Masked men visited people in their homes and shops to warn that going to the polls would mean death.
    And, yet, when polling day came it quickly became clear that the terrorists, in the forlorn attempt at stopping democracy, were, as in so many other instances in history, facing certain defeat. Never in my many years of journalism had I seen such enthusiasm for an electoral exercise anywhere in the world. The “silent majority” spoke by casting ballots, not because it particularly liked any of the candidates but because it wanted to send a message to the terrorists that they had no place in Algeria.
    This is good news for the Iraqi people, and could have repercussions for the other undemocratic regimes in the region.

So much for all the doom and gloom.

In Patronicum sub Siblesz

No, that isn't a banana

So far I am very pleased with the turn out - even if it is just to reaffirm a pro-US government. I think many people should be surprised at the numbers. far higher than most "legitimate" democracies in the west.

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

I'm waiting on a few more solid facts before I express any opinion. Its early days yet, though if it is 72% I'll be very surprised. Having just read the following article, are you sure that the 72% is not just the expat iraqis? What is the percentage difference between those who are eligible and those registered to vote?

Iraqis around the world vote
    16:50 AEDT Sun Jan 30 2005

AP - Iraqis in 14 countries around the world took part in their country's first democratic election in half a century, determined to shape the future of their homeland and praying for an end to the insurgency.

Iraqis in the United States drove hundreds of kilometres on the second day of voting on Saturday to reach the five cities with polling places: Nashville, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington.

According to the International Organisation for Migration, the Geneva-based body conducting the expatriate vote, 5,643 Iraqis voted on the first day of the January 28-30 ballot in the United States, about 22 per cent of the total that registered.

Tens of thousands more are expected to vote in 13 other countries during balloting that runs through Sunday, the same day as elections in Iraq for the 275-member assembly that will draft Iraq's new constitution.

In Nashville, home to the largest Kurdish community in the United States, about 20 Kurds celebrated by dancing and waving flags in the rain.

"It is celebration because for the first time they taste the freedom of this country," said George Khamou, of Little Rock, Arkansas, who watched the dancers. "This is really a big celebration for all of us here - the Kurdish, the Arabs, the Christians, everybody. All we say now is all of us are Iraqis, because we are all the same."

Voters had their right index finger dipped in ink as a safeguard against voting fraud, then dropped paper ballots into boxes. To be eligible, voters must be born in Iraq or have an Iraqi father, and have turned 18 on or before December 31, 2004.

One busload of about 50 Iraqis travelled 835 kilometres from Lincoln, Nebraska, to cast their ballots on Saturday in the Chicago area.

Arkan al-Hasnawi, 33, of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, has spent the last two weeks in Nashville staying with his family and brother Thaban, 38.

"It's a long time we've been waiting for vote," Arkan al-Hasnawi said. "Everybody is excited to vote, everybody should get that chance - to vote for a new Iraq."

In Norway, a fleet of buses transporting about 4,000 Iraqis left Oslo bound for polling stations in Goteborg in southern Sweden, 320 kilometres away. More than 31,000 others living in Sweden also have registered to vote.

In Denmark, the line for the polling station in the Copenhagen suburb of Taastrup stretched for 700 metres, despite freezing temperatures.

In Australia almost 8,000 Iraqi exiles, two thirds of those registered had voted by Sunday morning, organisers said .

By the end of voting on Sunday some 7,700 of the 11,800 who registered had voted, and people were still trickling early Sunday into the nine polling stations in Sydney, Melbourne and in the Victoria state regional centre of Shepparton.

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM), which organised the out-of-country voting program, has estimated that around 40,000 Iraqis resident in Australia were eligible to vote in the historic poll.

©AAP 2005
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Civitate

Bear with me, but I distrust the american government. What if they added votes to make it seem like 72% of the population voted to make it seem like a success and undermine the terrorists?
    "It is my honour to inform you that the Papacy have accepted your offer of alliance. They point out that you will of course burn in hell for all eternity if you break the alliance."-Papacy Emissionary.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I am pleased so far with the way the elections have been going. I think it's still too early to say if they are a success or not, though. If these elections completely alienate the Sunni minority, then that might cause some problems in the future.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Originally posted by Scipii@Jan 30 2005, 09:29 PM
    Bear with me, but I distrust the american government. What if they added votes to make it seem like 72% of the population voted to make it seem like a success and undermine the terrorists?
    Thought of that. It's possible, and I would congratulate the government for pulling off such a trick on the populace of the World... it's dirty, but it's smart and it would benefit Iraq (and the U.S.).
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

72% is incorrect[my bad]; it was the first number released and has since been scaled down to 60%, a far lower number, but still quite healthy.

In Patronicum sub Siblesz

Though the commission has admitted that it's just a guess at this point.

60% is pretty ****** incredable, if it was that high. One cant really ask for much more.

Of course, the real question was if any of the sunni voted.

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

Civitate

60%? That's pathetic when you consider the voter turnout under Saddam was 100%. :p
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri