Thread: Infantry wont commit to battle - jessies...

Default Infantry wont commit to battle - jessies...

hey all (insert nice things about ss6.0 and thanks to KK etc etc)

Im noticing in 6.0 that troops wont commit to fighting as they should - ie when i tell my spear dudes to attack some peasant dudes, only like 4 or 5 of them run foward to engage, the rest stand back, chilling out and watch. Anyone else noticing this? The whole formation wont commit like they did in 5.0

At one point i needed a unit of spears to engage a unit of peasants but there was one swordsman left from another unit in the way, the whole spears unit stopped and waited for one of their men to fight the lone swordsman - the rest of the unit would neither engage the swordsman, or slap the peasants. very frustrating! Damn them, why wont they follow orders!!!!

They should respect my authority!!!!!!

Anyone else noticing this? I didnt want to post it as a bug as i wasnt sure if it was?

Default Re: Infantry wont commit to battle - jessies...

yeah ive noticed this sometimes too.

another thing that really gets to me is when im fighting and i order my men to attack a unit when there are routers nearby, then they break combat and start chasing the routers, instead of fighting the enemy

I have noticed that in order to get my full unit to engage the enemy I have to click behind them, so my whole unit will stay together and run into the enemy unit. This is the only way I have found it to work.

Yes. I agree. Usually if you don't have them run "through" the other unit, they will get hopelessly split up in the process of engaging.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

It does feel like infantry is less responsive in 6.0, they just don't engage as well. Perhaps it's just these few battles I've fought. Many times I've had to click behind the enemy to make the unit attack with more than a couple men.

what if you changed their stats to discipline?? would that make it better?
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

well i've tried yelling at them, that did bugger all.....

Oh and swearing didnt work either.

hehe i noticed that too i got no clue what so ever what is the cause of it... i remmeber playing with darthmod once the had fixed the problem for good dunno how they did it but it worked

Some kids like to pee there names on the snow in winter... Chuck Norris can pee his name into solid concrete!

Chuck Norris doesn't have to shape his hair... It stays in shape out of sheer fear.

A snake once bit Chuck. After five days of extreme pain... The snake died.

DeaDBolT's Avatar Decanus

I had the same thing yesterday, i had 600 spearmen storm a townsquare that had 20 militia spearmen guarding it, defeating them took forever, even when i click behind the units the response doesnt feel that good.

I dont wanna offend KK or anything, but the infantry response feels like a step back to vanilla though. Although i must say cavalry responds infinitely better, no more micro management hell there

Yeah, cavalry on the other hand has worked superb!

Icon1 Re: Infantry wont commit to battle - jessies...

I noticed this infantry bug in SS6 too. They often stuck stubbornly, and try to stay away from melee fight. I also noticed that if you command your infantry units one by one, they'll follow orders.

Well I believe it's an issue that RTW or MTWII has that if you order more than one unit to attack they will determine to attack whomever they want. I don't know if SS 5.0 did not have this feature however.

I'm curious what as changed that might be the cause of this, as I thought it was a vanilla issue that Kingdoms fixed. Maybe it has to do with the spacing of units, the mass, or some less clear cut value

Try playing with the battle_config file eg

<!-- proportion of unit that will charge before unit task will finish -->
    <finish-proportion-infantry>0.8</finish-proportion-infantry>
    <finish-proportion-cavalry>0.8</finish-proportion-cavalry>

<!-- time to react to being intercepted -->
    <collision-reaction-time>2</collision-reaction-time>

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Yeah this must be a small mistake or an:" whoops i forgot to fix that! " from the developers.

Same infantry bug for me But also I have cavalry bug, usually my cavalry wait for 1-3 seconds after order even to start moving, can't stand this =/

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

I think that this may be the resault from KK making the charge distance longer, like he promised. In 5.1 the infantry charged when they had almost engaged, but now they charge from a further distance and the resault is that 4-10 dudes charge and leave their brothers in arms behind.

IIRC this was an issue in vanilla as well. But then again I haven't played vanilla for a loooooonnnnng time
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Yes, clicking behind the target unit and have your unit try to run through the enemy did the trick back then and will do here. Same thing with Cav running after retreaters, just click beyond them.

No surprise here really.