Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you have Empire without Imperial Manchous?

Praepositus

Default Can you have Empire without Imperial Manchous?

I know that they are not in but it would be cool to have them.
    do not forget how much it can sell in China

Do not post copyrighted material please. -Empress Meg
    Last edited by Empress Meg; April 23, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

Default Re: Can u have Empire without Imperial Manchous.

It would be nice to have China in, but I doubt it. They mentioned India and Africa, but said nothing of East Asia.
    Jo can you please tell me where the first three pictures are from?
    Last edited by tabacila; April 22, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
    Play 'March of Death'. Play it, unless you know a sadder song.
    Play something to make your soul weep. If you have one still.

It'd be a cool thing to mod into the game later. Being able to play all the way to the far east from Europe, encompass most of the planet. That'd be cool.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

super cool mod indeed.
    "Over the hills and far away..."

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

got any more pics of them in Qing armor?
    Last edited by Erwin Rommel; April 22, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Can someone explain to me the picture with the two guys carrying one giant rifle? Did they have such big rifles (haha, but really) that it took two men to operate, or what?

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

ah yes. early rifles are like that

some have big sticks to mount it just to aim if you cant have guys

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

It's the same as a European wall gun, but not on a wall. The far east would be cool, with an amazing variety of styles of fighting and such, but probably the sort of thing that would go in an expansion.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

Was there ever any instances of a European army fighting a Chinese one during this time?Like a full battle,not so much a tiny skirmish.Like fully drawn battle lines and what not?
    "Over the hills and far away..."

I think the first time that happened was in the Opium Wars, which is why I say is more like an expansion type thing.

Praepositus

well the was a small conflict between russians and Chinese
    Chinese won.
    Opium wars the main reason of chinese defeat was the the large addiction of chinese army to Opium.
    And some minor with Portugese.

Elmar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jo the greek View Post
    I know that they are not in but it would be cool to have them.
    do not forget how much it can sell in China
    While it's true that faction inclusion is partly based on the market CA hope to reach (and I point to the inclusion of the USA for stong evidence of that) I don't think you could promote the inclusion of China on this basis. And here's why:
    Chinese hardly ever buy their games. There is a culture of piracy (yarrr ) there that is beyond belief. One would have a hard time selling a few thousand copies. And even if you could sell a good number, it would have to be at a nominal value, given Chinese wages.
    So from a financial standpoint it just doesn't make sense to aim at the Chinese market.

China will only get in if we/CA want it in. The Chinese viewpoint on the matter is pretty irrelevant.
    To Subaltern: Yes, every junior officer may carry a Field Marshal's baton in his knapsack, but we think you'll discard that to make room for an extra pair of socks before very long.
    Wipers Times

Praepositus

Last edited by jo the greek; April 23, 2008 at 09:09 AM.

yeah, china, so stop being greedy poor people (oxymoron?) and stealing so many games and maybe you might get included in some of them

now they're going to hack my computer and steal all of my gigahertz!!!!1111!!1111!!!!1

well the was a small conflict between russians and Chinese
    Chinese won.
    Opium wars the main reason of chinese defeat was the the large addiction of chinese army to Opium.
    And some minor with Portugese.
    I disagree, the the main reason of defeat was the superior technology of the British and that the Chinese were outgunned.

But definately, bring on the Manchous!
    Then we can see how they fare in some more opium wars!

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hawkwood View Post
    I disagree, the the main reason of defeat was the superior technology of the British and that the Chinese were outgunned.

But definately, bring on the Manchous!
    Then we can see how they fare in some more opium wars!
    My friend i have read a whole book on this wars
    at the first era the were nt big differences
    the British troops were small and the Qing underestimated them.
    I think u haven't unterstand the problem that cause the opium in chinese society British forces would sieged chinese fort and would capture pretty
    easy just because the defenders have been smoking Opium and were High.
    The technology superiority came in the last years.This together with the Taiping rebellion.

The Chinese and British never fought each other in major battles and most of the attacking of forts you're talking about didn't happen all that much. The British won those wars because of spectacular political maneuvering and manipulation, combined with a show of Naval power. China's only advantage in the 17 ad 1800s were their numbers. After the classical era Chinese weren't that superior technologically in terms of warfare. Sure, they invented gunpowder but the Europeans were quick to surpass them in it's use and development. Attributing the loss of a war mainly to over use of opium by Chinese combatants is over simplifying things significantly.

masterbaker's Avatar Decanus

Now THAT is a proper gun, where's my nearest dealer?

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    The Chinese and British never fought each other in major battles and most of the attacking of forts you're talking about didn't happen all that much. The British won those wars because of spectacular political maneuvering and manipulation, combined with a show of Naval power. China's only advantage in the 17 ad 1800s were their numbers. After the classical era Chinese weren't that superior technologically in terms of warfare. Sure, they invented gunpowder but the Europeans were quick to surpass them in it's use and development. Attributing the loss of a war mainly to over use of opium by Chinese combatants is over simplifying things significantly.
    But was reality i have read many similar event together with Taiping
    and the bad army brought china down.

A weak government and rampant corruption brought China down. Their Armies never faced European forces in any sizeable engagements. They lost minor skirmishes and then their government was forced to sign embarassing treaties that forced the Chinese to allow the opium trade. And their government only signed because they were politically outmaneuvered or they were simply bribed because of greed. China was beaten soundly through politics more than anything. It was those embarrasements that forced the Qing dynasty to finally lose control and the Taiping rebellion came from the same apparent embarrassments to foreign powers.

China has always thought itself the most powerful nation on Earth and thought of (just like every culture) outsiders as barbarians. It was terribly hurtful to Chinese face when the British forced these treaties and got their own way. Allowing foreigners in Chinese ports. Chinese face is extremely important. It's a value system for honor. But even still all of this occurs in the middle of the 1800s which is beyond the game's timeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast