Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing settlements.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Removing settlements.

I've followed the tutorial on the Wiki, which seems simple enough, edited the map_regions tga, then removed region and resources from the descr_regions and descr_strat.

The other files (descr_mercenaries.txt, descr_events.txt, and descr_win_condititions.txt) are blank at the moment..

but when I try to start a campaign I get kicked back to the start menu, then when I quit out I get;

Script error in 300WOS/data/world/ ect.. descr_strat at line 1407, column 1.

you have chosen an invalid(0,0) tile for the settlement name of
    Where did I go wrong?

Default Re: Removing settlements.

Symptom: KTM's with message on exit: 'Script error in .../descr_strat.txt, at line xxx, column x. You have chosen an invalid tile(0,0)for the settlement of
    If line xxx is the bottom of the descr_strat file and the settlement name is not specified.

* Pixels on map_regions.tga of a colour that do not belong to any region colour specified in descr_regions.txt - watch out for merged colours when editing map_regions.tga as that is usual cause.

If settlement is named and line xxx is it's listing in descr_strat.txt

* Settlement is actually placed on invalid terrain. This may include being over river location, over impassable forest, or mountain ground types, or being over area marked as sea in map_heights.tga. The last includes areas of 'land' which are true black RGB 0,0,0 as the game takes them as sea unless a map_heights.hgt is created.
    Source

Blog Entries

If line xxx is the bottom of the descr_strat file and the settlement name is not specified.
    ? not sure what that means.

* Pixels on map_regions.tga of a colour that do not belong to any region colour specified in descr_regions.txt - watch out for merged colours when editing map_regions.tga as that is usual cause.
    Pretty sure that's ok, looks ok.

* Settlement is actually placed on invalid terrain. This may include being over river location, over impassable forest, or mountain ground types, or being over area marked as sea in map_heights.tga. The last includes areas of 'land' which are true black RGB 0,0,0 as the game takes them as sea unless a map_heights.hgt is created.
    Should be ok, I'm adding land from a pre-existing region.

If settlement is named and line xxx is it's listing in descr_strat.txt
    Is that if it's named in the; imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

If yes, do I remove it from there, including what's in the {

(just clocked that file, it's not mentioned in the tutorial)

Edit, removed that entry, same error.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM.

? not sure what that means.
    If the line mentioned in the error message is the last line of the descr_strat file and the error message does not actually mention the erroneous settlement's name. But if the colour count comes out right...

Was the change extensive? I mean, can't you just go back to the pre-removal files and do it again? *shrugs* Mak or MoN would know the answer to this for sure...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    If the line mentioned in the error message is the last line of the descr_strat file and the error message does not actually mention the erroneous settlement's name. But if the colour count comes out right...

Was the change extensive? I mean, can't you just go back to the pre-removal files and do it again? *shrugs* Mak or MoN would know the answer to this for sure...
    It's not the last line..

I've 16 regions to remove, this is the first. Yeh, maybe when one of them comes along they can shed some magic dust on it...

Thanks for the link anyway..

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I'll have no time until late Wed, but if you still are having problems at that time then feel free to send the campaign file (with campaign regions text file of course) to me.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I just had this happen the other day and found two errors that seemed to fix it. How i look for these types of errors are by taking the magic wand, setting the tolerance to '0' and deselecting 'contiguous'

Then I'll go to the map_regions and using shift select, I'll just start clicking on all my provinces. In the end, the only things unselected should the the black city pixels are white port pixels. So you'll be able to see that you didn't miss any. Its a bit tedious, but eliminates the rogue pixel theory or missing city as the problem.

Also, if you colored over a province you may have left one pixel someplace far away from the main province and this could cause that error since the game is looking for city pixel.

Also, sometimes I get random pixel noise as i resize the map, so instead of being 125,125,125 one pixel will be 124,123,125 which you can't tell the difference by just looking at it.

I hope those suggestions help.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Blog Entries

I'll keep trying but everything seems in order, it's such a simple process...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    See you wed then...

@Ram..thanks, but the map works perfectly well other than the changes I've made...So most of those are void..

A blind shot: Have you removed the region and settlement names from 300WOS/data/text...._regions_and_settlement_names? I do not think that it is related to this error message but, who knows with this program?

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    A blind shot: Have you removed the region and settlement names from 300WOS/data/text...._regions_and_settlement_names? I do not think that it is related to this error message but, who knows with this program?
    nope, you definitely don't have to do that - I know as I have habit of adding all my new regions to end of original 'imp_camp_regions_and_settlement_names' file as that file can act up if you try re-writing from scratch! Mentioning that as generally for all the data/text files in RTW its safest to leave old stuff in and add new translations to bottom of file if you're not quite sure if they are in use or not (eg for leader names)

I've had look and think we've found main problem, minor old error in descr_strat that didn't cause problem till .rwm was deleted for new change.....

Ah, see, Mak's a safe bet for getting the culprit. Good that everything's fine now.

Blog Entries

Yeh, got that fixed, but PS really doesn't seem to handle one pixel colours to well, I got two regions to work and feeling all happy managed to bungle my way into messing the third up so badly it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch....

I'm actually rather miffed.

Well, for editing the map_regions file I have always used this program:

http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_imffw.html

It is rather ugly and old (like me ) but it works perfectly for files like this one.

PSP is also cool with one-pixel colours and it has some great capabilities.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I know I mentioned the magic wand already, but it really is a life saver. After you add some new provinces if you just click around with the wand, you may find many problems early on. Sometimes when adding a new province I'll get some off color pixels around the edges or a lone pixel of a province I covered that the wand is able to point out. I personally think it is one of the most important tools when mapping in PS.

The first thing I do is click on the water and then do a Select/inverse so that I know I'm not going to paint into my water area.

Anyway, everyone has their own techniques they use.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

The offer still stands but please be swift as I have many deadlines and tasks before me and in the coming weeks!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Mentioning that as generally for all the data/text files in RTW its safest to leave old stuff in and add new translations to bottom of file if you're not quite sure if they are in use or not (eg for leader names)
    How could imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names affect the name of the leader? Afaik all names, including surnames of the type "of_CityX", are mentioned in the files for characters` names(in data/text is names).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    The offer still stands but please be swift as I have many deadlines and tasks before me and in the coming weeks!
    Anything can help with, or are you talking RL/modding things that are way beyond my comfort zone (which is anything non graphical really)....?

I'm sure if you knew how to dig ditches and moats, MoN would appreciate it. If he's too busy or you can't be that swift, I think I can lend a hand as well (though I'm not MoN by far).

Blog Entries

I'm sure if you knew how to dig ditches and moats
    ?

Pm'ed MoN,

then he vanished...

Or was he pushed..

(I have no idea what I mean there)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast