Thread: My stupid Video Card

I got a video card not to long ago, its a GeForce MX 4000, at first it seemed to be running right but know it isn't :mad , I can't figure out why, I feel like putting a blow torch next to it now , I know that it is compatible with my comp though, will someone please help

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

You shoud have paid more attention, the card is only for marketing and nvidia has the reputation of doing this, they just give it a good name and make the people do mistakes.Try installing windows again, latest drivers and directx 9 and if doesn't work i suggest buying a new one, an radeon 9600 or fx5700 would be great.

Around $110 or so dollars.

pricewatch.com
    dealtime.com
    pricegrabber.com
    http://froogle.google.com/

for price comparisons online. But if you ever pay less than $80 (not used) for a vidcard, very high chance it's not gonna be a good one.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Well i recommend gigabyte wich are very good,here's one perfect for you: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1425, you'll also love hta package it has some nice games and nice utilities.

No, that isn't a banana

why not describe some of the problems before going out and buying a new one? maybe someone can help.

The thing makes my comp run worse now

Yes, a more detailed description of the problem would be good. There might still be life for that card.

when I started my comp yesterday, the screen stayed black for 5 mins, then finally came one, also all of my games look like crap now, but when I took the video card out and put old one back in it runs perfectly

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

What card did you have before?
    What are your specs?
    Give us some more information so that we may try to help you out. :cool

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Eeeek HP canned computer... :p

So you had an onboard card and now you have a geforce 4 mx. By the age of that computer that onboard card should not be better than the geforce althouth it is by now a really outclassed card. However you say:

but when I took the video card out and put old one back in it runs perfectly
    which means you had something else on that slot.

And this:

when I started my comp yesterday, the screen stayed black for 5 mins, then finally came one, also all of my games look like crap now,
    is NOT normal for any card. Have you tried the latest nvidia drivers? Is your ram error free (if your not sure do a memtest)? Where did you get that relic? Is it second hand? Did someone tried to overclock it?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

I haven't tried latest drivers, memtests say everything is ok, I got the video card at walmart(bad chose :cry ) its not second hand, and what does overclocked mean

what would be a good vieo card for my comp

Comp