Thread: Darks mod/basic tweaks for EU3 in nomine (also ROTD archive)

Default Darks mod/basic tweaks for EU3 in nomine (also ROTD archive)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ok so I spent 3 hours last night working out what colours would look nice with what factions (all the greek faction flags look similar... all the macedonian/eastern ones look similar). This is what I've come up with:
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1vl4.jpg
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen2uf4.jpg
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen3iq8.jpg
    Bear in mind jpegs don't represent the colours terribly accurately.

Download Full mod
    http://files.filefront.com/Rivals+of.../fileinfo.html

Theres a few more factions I haven't done yet and Epirus... well I just can't seem to find a colour to put it as. In the file below I've also included the research bug fix (well the problem is hardcoded really... but this is better). Basically the problem is... research goes much slower than its supposed to... this isn't too bad but rebels spawn with the tech rate your supposed to be at. So all of a sudden you find that macedon has 10 tech in everything while everyone else is 3/4.
    http://files.filefront.com/Colours+a.../fileinfo.html

In addition to the research fix and colour changes I've also included the following changes in the full mod below:

-Antioch and Seleucia are now Macedonian. As is the official culture of the Selecuds (they were Macedonian after all NOT greek!). This really hurts your manpower pool (no more overpowered Selecuds!) since Asia Minor is no longer same culture. Royal family is Macedonian
    -Various characters from the Ptolemaic faction history and Selecud faction history are now either Greek or macedonian depending on their birthplace (changed a lot of ones who were once Greek to macedonian... if they came from Macedonian places like Macedon). The Ptolemaic royal family is now Macedonian as well. Unfortunately all other characters except the ones you start with or the royal family are stuck with being spawned as the national culture/religion. Nothing I can do about that (AFAIK) sorry
    -Rome is now Greek religion... everywhere that once or will be (history files) Roman Religion is now Greek religion
    -Omens now do nothing and have stuff all chance of succeeding (sorry guys no more overpowered blessing of Aphrodites colony spam)
    -Trade resources rebalanced... amber is now 5% extra tax (higher is overpowered) and spices now gets a 5% extra tax bonus as well
    -Lots less grain... as well as a general changing of a lot of provinces trade goods. In general this will mean provinces next to each other have similar trade goods (unfortunately this will make internal trade harder without roads... not much I can do about it). For instance... arabia no longer producers grain
    -Tribal governments now add +100% forcelimit(when right idea selected... original bonus kept as well). I originally wanted to add an interger amount but this is fine too. This may not be balanced if tribal governments get too big... a further inspection of tribal government events that have an affect on larger tribal governments will be needed. If none exist... I will create some to nerf larger tribal governments and make making them into their civilised government counterparts worth it.
    -Combat casualties doubled (this makes the non heavy infantry/militia units a lot better... and this combined with the above actually makes rholoxani playable now)
    -Civ spread halved overall. If anyone can point out how I'd like to bump up civ spread via trade again.
    -Civilisation effect on barbarians THIRDED! This will mean a fair few more barbarians everywhere... but in particular combined with the above will mean more barbarians from arabia/north africa/iberia/other

History:

-Tribal governments now add +100% forcelimit(when right idea selected... original bonus kept as well). I originally wanted to add an interger amount but this is fine too. This may not be balanced if tribal governments get too big... a further inspection of tribal government events that have an affect on larger tribal governments will be needed. If none exist... I will create some to nerf larger tribal governments and make making them into their civilised government counterparts worth it.
    -Combat casualties doubled (this makes the non heavy infantry/militia units a lot better... and this combined with the above actually makes rholoxani playable now)
    -Civ spread halved overall. If anyone can point out how I'd like to bump up civ spread via trade again.
    -Civilisation effect on barbarians THIRDED! This will mean a fair few more barbarians everywhere... but in particular combined with the above will mean more barbarians from arabia/north africa/iberia/other

-Made a lot of grain provinces other resource types... as well as changing a few others. For example Alexandria is now wood (it was a big port) and Sinai (desert type province... so obviously not grain) takes its place as grain producing.
    -I left out the province files in the previous version... including them will make Antioch and Seleucia Macedonian as well as Roman provinces Greek religion (as intended)

Coming in the future:
    long term:
    -Remove the colonisation system... and have it be entirely event driven
    -Similarly make events similar to colonisation for Barbarians... such as Barbarians settling and becoming a tribe on their own (through civ spread) like dacia. Or maybe a tribe in Britain spawning when there is a demand for tin. Or maybe your doing well as a gallic minor (and have 3/4 provinces and high stability) so the nearby tribe (who are barbarian lands) become part of your kingdom.
    -Redo the building system so it is entirely event based. I don't want everyone to be able to build roads in every province once they have province number x 50 gold but I want them to be avaliable to restricted areas and under certain circumstances at the start.

Medium term:
    -Religous spread will be affected by: Religous power (bear in mind omens are no longer used so religous power is affected only by temples, spices, desecration etc), ethnicity (Celts would prefer not to be Animism... although might find Greek [bear in mind Romans are Greek religion now] a little better), population (Zoroastrianism will spread best in urban areas... with Greek/Judaism/Carthaginian being close behind... and animism not being too fond of high pop), and Civilisation (Greek prefering civilisation, most other things won't care about it). The above is mostly guess work about religion though... when the time comes that I'm adding it any help with what should be like what would be appreciated.
    -Probably plenty of other stuff I haven't thought of!
    -Events involving wealth should scale. For instance my little gallic tribe which has a king who's wealth is 20 just got a corrupt governer event... well now my king just got 10x more wealthy than any other gallic king has ever been!
    -Also redo cultural spread... instead of the current situation which is fairly random (apart from putting high charisma governers in non official culture provinces to speed up the process). For instance with rome I do believe they didn't recruit troops from outside Italy until year whatever... which could be the minimum year (or maybe this change is based on dynamic conditions) for anything outside italy to change to Roman culture
    -Add Heavy cavalry and medium infantry unit types as well as seperate Pezhetaroi and Heavy infantry. You may need special ideas to get heavy cavlry (Cataphracts or the Iberian Scutarii cavlry) though. It'll likely also require horses AND Iron. Medium infantry will represent elites or mainstay units... but not necessarily as heavily armoured. Two examples would be the greek hoplites (they did not use pezhetaroi afterall anyway), the Macedonian Hypaspistai and maybe some gallic or german troops. Most importantly to qualify for medium infantry your troops must move faster than heavy infantry. The seperation between Pezhetaroi and Heavy infantry will be to allow different stats for each (they did perform quite differently afterall) and to add some more flavour... which hopefully this will achieve with that addition and the addition of the other unit types/other features.

Short term(next release... probably within a week):
    -Change Eburones to Gallic culture and Druidism (as well as their province obviously)
    -Change Messapic culture to Illyrian group
    -Think of a better name (help appreciated)-done... but might change it again if I can think of something better or something better suggested.

Secondary:
    -Traits that negatively affect the power of omens will mean that the affect is now positive and with a low chance of succeeding (which you don't want) that means you have a practically unfailable if not very weak omen that no one else doesn't use (and even the ai with said traits doesn't use). This is quite minor however and the traits don't happen very often.
    -Change a few of the secondary colours (the ones that appear on soldiers shields) although admitably from what I've seen the colours look great atm!
    -Change rebel colours

Installation instructions-
    Install EU:Rome
    Install 1.1. patch
    Make a backup of original EU:Rome folder
    Download files
    Extract them into EU:Rome folder and replace
    Checksum should be PSZI

Other/Comments:
    If anyone can work out how to add a new trade good I'd be most appreciative if they'd tell me how they did it. I tried a few things and it didn't work. For now amber will have to do as a placeholder.
    Suggestions/offers of helping out most appreciated

So what do we think?

Hmm might continue that later Back to eu rome for now.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hey guys just a quick update, I realise the 1.2 patch has been out for ages and it'd take about 2 minutes to get full compability but I really can't be bothered even then. EU:Rome certainly just isn't what I thought it was and I regret buying it. Let alone wasting time playing/modding it.

However, I think I'm gonna try modding EU3:in nomine and hopefully my eu3 in mod won't suck as much as my eu:rome one . Anyway I'll release it in a sec but heres the changes so far:
    0.1:
    -Each 1% of revolt risk=-1% missionary chance. This emphasizes the importance of religion. The reformation will be far more important, and lithuania won't instantly convert its orthadox provinces now for instance. The indian muslum nations are now probably quite screwed however (the ai couldn't convert its provinces even then).
    -Sunni and shia can force convert each other. The muslum nations change their religions/have interesting combos quite often anyway. So it only makes sense they can force convert each other. It also makes the whole playing a shiite nation and converting the muslum world to sunni far more interesting.
    -I tried to make the "convert to catholicism" option appear for orthadox (as Byzantium did at one stage voluntarily convert to catholic to appease the west and seek support... which is exactly the reason you'd do it ingame) but its not appearing for some reason. For now orthadox countries can be force converted to catholic however.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; August 31, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: A few basic changes (inc research fix) for EU:Rome 1.1

Excellent!
    I'd like to have a look at culture conversion and religious conversion at some point as well...as it stands culture spreads very quickly in the Seleucid empire. Large swaths of mesopotamia and persia are greek culture, and even more are greek religion.
    Will it nerf the sels? Yes. But this is bearing in mind they were reduced to Syria by the 100s BC...

Exactly... no more of this Judea=egyptian/greek after only 50 years! I couldn't find which event file the culture conversion events are in though. Any idea where they are? As I said above... I changed the Selecuds to Macedonian culture (bearing in mind same culture group is 80% manpower only and non culture group is 0% this is a big nerf from about 100k manpower to 40k I believe... as they no longer gain much manpower from GREEK provinces in Asia minor).

I was thinking of making religous power (more=better), civilisation (animism spreads when civilisation levels drop below 20... Shamanism and Druidism don't really mind so long as its above 25, the rest will want at least above 50) and population important in religous conversion as well (Zoroastrianism spreads slighter faster than pagan religions in urban areas, Greek, Cathaginian and Egyptian spread faster than druidism and Shamanism in urban areas and animism has severe problems with high population). Most important of all I want the changes to mean that when you play 50 years of game time... the game will look more like what happens if you press fast forward 50 years in history. So definitely no more half of selecud lands being Greek religion and a quarter Macedonian culture after 50 years.

[EDIT] Culture events are under the colony text file for those wondering
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; April 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Pontus is another one...where they really...entirely greek as their provinces and characters indicate?
    With kings named such things as Mithridates you'd think they had more Persian influence on 'em.

I'd previously always thought they were a perso-greek kingdom that sprouted up after Alexander's empire collapsed...

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

they are persians with small(to medium sized) hellenic influence. influences from greek towns to the north(Sinope), armenians and persians to the east, and various anatolian tribes to the south and west(Phrygians for example).

so yes, they're mostly persians. something more akin to Armenia of the time rather than say, Macedonia.
    Last edited by Paul d; April 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

I also heard that a lot of the Persian nobility fled to Pontus... so the royal line might be persian culture.

After doing some basic research (via the wiki) it appears their royal line was greek initially, from Cius. Mithridates who ruled at the beginning of the period of Rome had an alliance with Bithynia against the Seleucids.

Diplomacy is another thing this game needs a hella lot of tweaking. Pontus and Armenia should not be bloodying each other, as they were both resisting Seleucid domination at the same time...

Of course all the tidbits here I'm giving are rather eastern centric...but I figure that's important because of the multitude of states out there and the neglect to their details kinda annoys me...

I would also daresay that Iberia should be a tribe...but I don't know if I'd go that far. It was a rather unstable part of the region and Armenians chronicle that even hundreds of years after the scope of Rome Iberian raids were not uncommon.

As for the west, something has to be done about Masillia. They as AI really really restrict Rome's expansion...as it stands in my Armenia game they've only taken land in Greece because they apparently declared war on the rebel faction of the Macedonians...they are blocked from colonizing towards Gaul by Masillia who has Cisalpine Gaul and might have taken out the Averni. Doesn't quite reflect the situation as it was...which had Masillia existing primarily thanks to Roman protection.

I would say making a separate faction for Emporion might hinder them...I've never heard of them being under the same banner, but I'll look it up now.

edit: it seems both settlements were founded by colonists from Phocaea...but I don't think that warrants them being a two province minor. What they were was a one province nation dependent on Rome for survival, facing aggression from Etruscans, Celts, and the Carthaginians.

Hmm, out of curiosity, does this work with the mod-switcher?

The Iberians being a tribe sounds good... that'd certainly make the game a bit more interesting anyway. As I said... with the selecuds being Macedonian culture this severely nerfs them. I guess no one would wanna declare war on the Selecuds previously due to their immense power. Perhaps at the very least making Pontus Zoroastrian would help out the situation? It seems at the moment a lot of the political/fighting situations are based around religion. With Armenia fighting Pontus... and Macedonia fighting anyone else but their fellow Greeks. I'm not sure what I could do to fix this though.

I'm currently running into problems making new tradegoods. If I insert the tradegood misc into the middle then elephants (the last one on the list) no longer work as a trade good. If I insert them at the end then everything works fine. Except when I put them as a trade good for a province and I get a CTD (black screen... send error report) on the last load screen status message. It seems amber will just have to do as a placeholder for now.

Dunno never tried the mod switcher... the EU:Rome directory is small anyway. In theory it should.

I don't know if they were Zoroastrian...judging by how their royalty was greek...is there no other way to alter their relations?

I really don't know... perhaps you can mod starting relations in history?

Updated... includes the province files (originally left out... which would mean Seleucia and Antioch are still greek... as well as Roman provinces still being Roman religion... now they are macedonian/greek respectively so all fixed) and a reasonably major rebalance of trade goods.

Aziel's Avatar Primicerius

Very nice!

Is it possible to cancel the time limitation ?
    Sigh...

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

is there a way to fix the celtic and germanic factions so they can actually do something? Every region north of say, mediolanum, has a civilized factor of about 25, and never gets higher than 35, so colonization is impossible. can this be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Azael33 View Post
    Very nice!

Is it possible to cancel the time limitation ?
    Well uhh... the unlimited time mod should work with this anyway(it only changes end dates). I'm not sure I'd want to implement it... and looking at the thread... I think I might be able to work out how to do it with a hex editor but I certainly wouldn't be able to compile something that does it automatically. I may want to expand the game + or - a 100 years though and apparently thats something you can get the exe to do (and read the history files).

Anyway... anything unlimited time for EU:Rome should work with this.