Thread: Priests Falling to Heresey

Default Priests Falling to Heresey

One thing i've noticed... vanillia or otherwise... presently I'm playing a 5.1b SS Camp. I find a hugely disproportionate number of my priests fall to Heresy... it doesn't seem to help that often they are very high ranking... (though i don't beleive i've ever seen a cardinal all) i regularly see 6-7 ranked Bishops fall, which are then of course bloody impossible to deal with. (or at least very difficult)

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way i could dramatically lower this?.

I should say also, while i enjoy this aspect of the game... I much prefer when these 'witches and heretics' come from the populas or foriegn lands... and only rarely from my own priests
    Last edited by Arawn'Aun; April 20, 2008 at 02:54 PM.

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Priests Falling to Heresey

The lower the piety the bigger the chance of being tried for heresy.

No i understand that. Thats not what i'm saying. I mean bishops and priests with high piety tend to become heretics at a much higher rate than they should. Once they convert they retain much of that 'peity' and become very difficulty to deal with. Even in territories with 80-90% catholic faith, it seems to occur often.

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

Ah, I'm sorry I misread the Q . Don't know about that sorry.

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

I agree. It is a problem. Assassins are a good counter measure.

stoma's Avatar Libertus

I've found that if you don't move your priests/imams enough that they have a very good change of becoming heretic.

Maniacal's Avatar Miles

Oh, just what i need/want, MORE stuff to move and micromanage.

I just stick my priests in cities or castles. Although still I lost two of them to hearsay in 20 turns.

Hellbent's Avatar Semisalis

Did the priests have any Unorthodox traits?

Assassins are usually a good solution for high piety heretics.

Assassins are almost the only option, expecially when the high level ones turn... But yes now you have it... the movment thing is an interesting point. That seems to be both when it happens, but almost more annoying. No Hellbent almost never do they have an, what i would call 'negative' traits. I've actually taken to giving my priests the StrongFaith and Righteous, traits as a countermeasure. This has had almost no impact as far as i can tell. Just seems sill to me that a Bishop with almost full peity can fall to Heresy. Or if it should happen it should be a big deal, and not such a regular occurance. Oh well. Just curious if anyone had found or heard of some sort of fix for this, as I agree having to keep them on the move seems a very tedius way of resolving it.

I had one blasphemous witch that hexxed my top general. I sent countless bishops after her, she converted none but killed them all including one cardinal (the only one i had).

This was early in the campaign, so i had no alternative. But when i got an assassin, she died on the first try at 25% i think. I find they are much easier to kill with assassins.

If you put a whole bunch of priest in the same province they will get the dogmatic and orthodox traits which decrease the risk of them turning into heretics.

Yeah that tends to happen to me. Then the 'English Heretic Responce Team' is deployed, which composes three assassins and four high levels priests. They are dispatched into the cities in the region with heresy, while the assassins deal with the source.

i have never had this problem, but i think it happens more if you are in bad with the pope, which i somehow manage to avoid even when i kick him out of italy and shove him on an island
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

I typically always maintain good relations with the pope... i think what i'll try is adding the Dogmatic 3 trait as suggested... Will let ya know if that meets with some success

I hope in the next Total War this whole priest mechanic is removed. It's alot of micromanage without any satisfaction. You can edit text files to lower it. I have done it on mine. I had a HUGE problem with the templars a while back.