Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus/Ulpianus (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus and Ulpianus

Senators of Rome.
    What say you of this report?
    One third of the legion now exists.
    It is a miracle all was not lost and we know where they would head should this stronghold be destroyed or captured.
    The senior consul needs aid in the north.

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (31)
    Senator of Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Rex View Post
    Auxillary legions may not prove strong on such a lengthy campaign.
    We have our legions.
    Creating new ones made up of Auxillia would only tax us further Lucius Aemilius

Senator of Rome
    they may not be as strong but we can have 3 auxillary legions for the prices of one normal this will give us the ability to blitz the greekes and hit them hard and quikly before they can muster more armies.

In the second siege Commander Decimus Vitruvius in desperation hired mercenaries out of his own pocket and the promise of more to come. To be honest sirs, he knew that we were dead; his only hope was to buy enough time for someone such as myself to get away and inform his brother. Even with the mercenaries we were grossly outnumbered, 2500 Greeks to our 1200 men.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was a cold snowy day… the men knew that this here would be their last stand, Decimus knowing this, gave the following short speech.

‘Look over there, men! 2500 Greeks await battle… they bring 2500 because their commanders know that for every one of us they need three! I choose to fight today, not for money… not for praise… not for glory… not even for Rome! I choose to fight… so that our people, in ALL of Italy… can live in freedom! Freedom from the tyranny and oppression of the Hellenic Empire! We will die today, men. The only question is how? I choose to leave this world… with a roar so loud that Pluto himself shivers in fear! And we are gonna take so many of these boy loving bastards with us that the Greek Gods will weep with sorrow!!!’

The cheers of the Legio I Germanica, could most likely be heard even in the Greek camp.

The Greeks marched on, they reached the gate and they reached our walls. We weakened them as much as we could with our pila, but their numbers were staggering. Finally they broke through and the fighting began.

The cohorts on our left flank disobeyed orders and charged the enemy rather than defending the break… they were slaughtered. Decimus Vitruvius was horrified.

Pretty soon, their sheer numbers started to overwhelm our flanks, though our Center was holding, it was only a matter of time before they would break too.

In a desperate move to hold off the Greeks at his left flank for just a short while longer he ordered his mercenary cavalry to charge them… they were slaughtered, but gave him the time he needed to help me escape.

Knowing full well he was going to die, Decimus Vitruvius Calidus charged the Greeks, killing as many of them as he could.

I was quite a distance away, but I’ll say this… it took many a Greek to bring him down…

What follows is my estimate of the lives lost that day…

After the battle, the Greeks took the fort for a short time, then left… another full stack marched into Italy and is now in the countryside.

Upon hearing this, Senators, Spurius Vitruvius made a decision, he brought his reinforcements to the unoccupied eastern fort; and is currently there… searching for his brother’s body. Words cannot express the grief and burden that filled our Consul’s being. I saw a good man die for his country and another good man’s spirit break… there is no joy in this report. What Vitruvius the elder decides to do next is anyone’s guess at present, I am sure you will hear a report soon.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

The gods...
    Sweet jupiter!
    We have lost legio Germanica.
    One of the first my father recruited so many years ago.
    This must be avenged.

Senator of Rome

Caius rises in a fit of rage and throws a jar of wine to the ground

"Send men up there now! If none are available, recruit another legion immediately! This kind of embarassment cannot -and will not- go unpunished!"
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 24, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Icon8 Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus and Ulpianus

A mad man he must be who thinks a peacfull end can be brought to this war.

I propose that ALL provinces must provide 750 troops at least to fight off the greeks. In order for this to be acived all construction exept millatry buildings and sqalor controll must be cancelled to pay the wages of new soilders.

legio Germanica must be avenged.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"Noble senators!

Rome is grieving! No family in Rome is untouched by this defeat! Even the consul has lost his own brother in the catastrophe at Castra Borealum (correct Latin anyone?), could that not be called a major sacrifice to the Roman cause? We cannot - and hopefully will not - accuse the consul of neglect or carelessness, nor can we accuse spies or traitors. We were defeated by Greek armies, by Greek numbers. We were overwhelmed and Legio I Germanica paid the ultimate price.

True Romans mourn any Roman death, and I will not break such an honourable tradition. In fact, I will remember these brave sons of Rome and I suggest we all do. Let us remain silent for one minute to honour Roman heroes."

Falco remains standing during the entire minute, solemnly looking at the senators. After the minute he resumes speaking.

"Now senators, it would be wrong to think that a minute or a week or a month would be a sufficient memorial to these brave soldiers. In fact, I think it would be a disgrace to these heroes to the Republic to merely mourn for a month and then relevy an entirely new Legio I Germanica. The brave men who held that fort almost to the last man against the ruthless Greek phalanxes should not be forgotten after mere weeks of mourning.

I am not suggesting we extend the period of mourning to months or years as that would break our society. What I am suggesting is simple, but I think some senators will object to it, citing different solutions to the problem I pose, but quite frankly they are not up to the mark.

I suggest we never relevy Legio I Germanica again." Some senators mutter in disagreement. "Senators, senators, I will explain why I suggest this. Any monument we build will be impressive, I am sure, but who will know why it was built in 100 years, or even 50? If we leave the Legio I unlevied for that period of time people will still remember the sacrifice the brave soldiers of the Fighting First. The senate may object we need all the Legions we can levy, but one legion will not make a difference. Even now we have a strategic reserve and we can recruit new legions. Some senators may object that we will lose other legions in the near and distant future and they will ask me whether those legions should also remain unlevied.

To this question my answer would be: no. Legio I Germanica would be a memorial to all Roman legionaries who were killed in action, of past, present and future. Could we do anything less for the brave Romans who selflessly gave their lives for the sake of our Republic? Senators... Romans... will you honour these brave soldiers? Will you agree to my proposal?"

As he prepares to sit down he mutters:

"Delenda est Sparta..."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

I dissagree senetor. I think we must relevy legio germanica so that theyer sons, theyer cusins, fathers and the roman republic can have theyer full reveng.

A campain against the greeks spearheaded by legio germanica will bring fear to the greeks and will show that anything they bring down will be rebuilt FOR THE GLORY OF ROME!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

And how senator Lucius should we be able to relevy Legio Germanica when
    the Greeks have the legions eagle?

Also I do think Marcvs is right in what he´s saying, we should respect those
    who died. They died for the sake of the Republic and it safety, remember
    those brave men and with our other legion we surly should crush those boy
    lovers.

OOC: Welcome Lucius
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Caius moves onto the floor, a vein visibly pulsing on his forehead

"Combine the members of the surviving legion (if any) with an existing and give them a new title. I say that out of the ruins of Germanica I, Primigenia I is born. Let the legacy of Germanica live with Primigenia. This way the original legion name can be honored, yet a new one levied bound to Germanica's traditions. The best of both worlds, no? The cousins, fathers and brothers get to have their revenge, but Germanica is honored."

senetor Caius, I doubt there are any survivors but besides that your idear is grate.

p.s. I've been playing surrectum for a while and I think you can recrut a leigion even tho they don't have theyer eagel.

ooc: not a single legionnaire left alive, mercs only... they routed... the legionnaires didnt

let this not be a sad end to germanicas history consul.

do you need the legion consul or can the republic go on without it?

ooc: lucius i was speaking Out Of Character, I'm in Patavium... not rome

OOC: eh anyway do you need them?

ooc: I cant say perhaps you as the senate ought to request an update on our military strength? you'd have to send a messenger...

Quote Originally Posted by Grandis Latro View Post
    ooc: I cant say perhaps you as the senate ought to request an update on our military strength? you'd have to send a messenger...

OOC: I'm really new here, a messenger?

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius silently weeps for the men of the Legio I Germanica. That was the faithful legion with which he conquered the Gauls with at Genoa. He remembers Centurion Crastinus, Primus Pilus of the legion, and many other soldiers who he had spent over 6 months with besieging and attacking Genoa. Now they were all dead and gone, gone to another realm in the deep dark lands of Pluto, and they were never coming back.

Conscript Fathers, these men of the Legio I Germanica were in their prime when they died. They had families and friends, had ambitions and futures, but now with these Greeks, they have come and taken away all those things that they once owned. There is no way to mourn them more fully, no way to commemorate them more deservingly, than to leave Legio I Germanica disbanded forever more. They were heroes, these men, believe me, I know from my times with them. Do we have so little respect for our soldiers, that we cannot just leave one legion space blank to commemorate, as Senator Falco said, not just this legion, but all the Roman war dead?

And now the Greeks. Every time they kill our men, they inflame the spirits in our hearts. They put out army after army to destroy us, yet it only makes our resolve to fight back stronger. I would seriously ask the Senate to consider an amphibious invasion of Greece with two or three legions, preceded by spy and assassin infiltration. This isn't the time for slow reactions senators. The more we delay, the stronger Greece gets and the harder they will be to overthrow. They are currently at war with many different nations it seems. Let us attack while they can mutually help in the assault, not when they are destroyed.

"I say let the Primigenia be born of those wishing to seek revenge! They will fight in Germanica's honor. Greece will know our wrath when a fresh legion is heading to kill them. This legion will be ferocious."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 24, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

ooc: I'm quite sure there already is a legion in RS called Primigenia.

ooc2: Grandis Latro, how many turns of the game have you used. Must have been at least three for the Greeks to be able to build those rams