Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus/Ulpianus (II)

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus and Ulpianus

"Yes your proposal clearly states this, however, I do not believe there was enough debate."
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

"Nor was there a real agreement on what the proposal should say."

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I believe it was for trade rights and map information Consul.

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (31)
    Senator of Rome

"Ok fine... leave the diplomatic motion as it is, but I still feel the motion to raise a new legion was done in haste."

If the consul is right and there are as many legions as he says and he will be able to mobilise them in time to prevent any danger to Rome then we should not raise further legions.

Senator of Rome

Kneißl's Avatar Semisalis

Yes I agree

Mathias Kneißl - Kampf Um Europa
    | Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

Caius Pontif, a rising, relatively new man, has been patiently sitting in a corner listening to the more experienced senators make their comments. He has weighed their arguements, but is presently vexed. All this talk of being humiliated in the battlefield by the womanly Greek generals is almost sickening. A vein in his neck is visible as the stocky senator rises to address the body.

"Most honored members of the Senate, yes, the economy is a dire issue, we must not allow our coffers to be drained on foolish military expednitures, but what kind of price has honor? Would you allow us to be humiliated by these Greek dogs? Recruit says I, let us teach these Greeks what it means to stand in the way of Roman interests! Spurius, you would not have our legions in the field killing Greeks because the decision was made in haste? Would you have us sit here and wait for the Greeks to make their move? My honorable friend, this must not be."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 20, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Kneißl's Avatar Semisalis

I must say, that is a good idea many of us have great commanding skills we should teach the ma lesson!

Mathias Kneißl - Kampf Um Europa
    | Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

We will wait for the consul to tell us how many legios and their composition looks like before we make a final decision.

Senator of Rome

"As it stands the Greeks are our Allies, by my estimates we are maintaining a good six legions in Italy, It is a rough estimate though I need time to gather the information. The more prudent thing to do is to retrain them, NOT raise another!"

"Regardless, we should send them a message."

Caius sits down once again. He leans over and whispers something inaudible to a manservant nearby.

"Send our ALLIES what message?
    I realize that our alliance with the Greeks is extremely unpopular. No on knows more than I, except for perhaps Falco, how barbarian the Greek Civilization has become. I refuse, however, to spark a war. The best I can do is send more legions north in an attempt to ward off any ideas of an attack. The bottom line is that this alliance bought us time! It continues to buy us time, much needed time. The day will come when we fight our neighbors, but we will wait and prepare til that day."
    Last edited by Grandis Latro; April 20, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

"The Greeks are a treacherous people Senator, who knows what their motives are? Is it possible, Spurius, that you fear that our forces will be spread too thinly? I have had this thought as well, we need legions, but the cost is great. Keep in mind however that the Greeks are wealthy traders. Their cities are known for it. We could become secure in a matter of a few years."

Caius settles back in his chair and sips warm wine.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 20, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

"Pontifex, it is because they are our allies that we know their motives. We know their king, we know the people. Our diplomatic mission last year brought a wealth of information we would not have known otherwise. If they do break the alliance with us, and they will, then they will suffer greatly for it. They will gain a reputation even worse than the barbarians, and Rome will be loved and applauded for fighting such a menace. Yes even merely breaking our alliance will be costly for the Greek League. Rest assured we have the legions necessary to fight, but they are not quite ready yet. I have a plan in the making that will bring Italy to full strength in a few short months."

(ooc: i am just waiting for the save )

"Of course sir, the honor of Rome must be maintained, but the inevitable war must be prepared for. As for the plan, I trust in your abilities to combat the Greeks."
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 20, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

OOC- i finally got RS!!!!!!
    BIC- after my parted absence in the fleet searching for Marcvs Valerivs Corvinvs
    , I have missed a lot. Forgive me for my knowledge of the situation isnt good.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quintus Marius strides hurriedly into the Curia. It seems that he is late, and has missed quite a lot of discussion and debate. Tapping a nearby Senator on the shoulder, Marius asks what has been going on since the term began. After receiving the update, Marius speaks:

Sorry I am late Senators, but as you can see, I am now here. First of all, congratulations to Servius Labienus Africanus for his wonderful victory over the Gauls. Servius the Younger, please pass these congratulations onto your father in your next letter.

Next, on the topic of legion training. At the moment, we are currently facing wars from two major enemies: the Greeks and the Gauls. None of them are being particularly active in their fields of war. The current problem with the recruitment of legions is that we can only recruit one legion in each city, and it takes half a year to recruit each unit of a legion. The price problem is somewhat less, as our income per half year overshadows the recruitment cost by far.

Therefore, this is what I propose:
    1. We send Legio IV Ferrata to Labenus Africanus as he wishes. And we can leave the training up to him as well, as long as it doesn't take a major monetary toll on our Treasury.
    2. Then we send envoys to the east to negotiate treaties with the Egyptians, Seleucids, Pontics etc and whoever else that the Senate wishes. Ask for trade rights first, and map information if the Senate agrees.
    3. Strengthen the northern legions with a few extra units each and start entering Gaulish lands and attack their cities. If a city has a garrison of more than say 12 units, make sure two legions together to attack that city. If it has less than 12 units, fight it with one legion.
    4. Meanwhile, since most cities can recruit auxilia, recruit a unit of auxilia in each city of Italy that is can train them. Then once their 6 months of training is over, group them all together and place them on the Greek and Gaulish borders in case of sudden attacks, and then the auxilia will hinder if not destroy any invading forces. Continue this until we have substantial auxilia legions to withstand a sudden invasion.

That is all I have to say for now Senators. What think you?

ooc: I was at a sleepover with no Internet available, so couldn't come on. But this amazes me.... 4 pages of posts already in just one day!

I will pass on that message Quintus, my father thanks you for your support during your term as consul.

However entering Gaul should not be our main priority.
    I feel it in my bones that the greek situation is one worth watching.
    Sending our legions anywhere but Cisalpine could spell trouble.
    My father with the extra legion will ensure no gaul passes through the mountains to even look at our newly aquired territory.
    So do not fear the west but look toward Illyria.

Senator of Rome

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

We could look at Illyria, Servius, but we would walk right into a wall of steel. Instead I have a different plan. The Greeks - and every other nation for that matter - have only seen our skill in land battles. They know we are very relucant to send our units overseas in an aggressive war. We have (until now) only sent our legions across seas if our enemies are easily destroyed or if we had no other choice.

Let us use this foolish idea to our advantage! Across from Tarentum in southern Italia there is the town of Appolonia and the old lands of Pyrrhus, Epeirus. The crossing itself is very short and the city is poorly defended compared to the Greek cities in the north. These lands would bring us within striking range of the heart of the Hellenic League! How could we strategically minded Senators leave this opportunity unused!

ooc: Happy birthday to Rome.
    Happy birthday to Rome.
    Happy birthday, dear Ro-home.
    Happy birthday to You!
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 21, 2008 at 09:40 AM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

OOC: Happy birthday Rome!!
    lets have a party in the curia
    Shall we vote upon if I should go on a asian road tripp?
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam