Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus/Ulpianus (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Habitus and Ulpianus

Lets not forget senators...
    Rome has lost her eagle.
    This is the first time she has lost her eagle in many generations.
    We have seen our weekness.
    Where we rely on the strength of our legion, greece relies on her numbers.
    And eventually like every rock... with the constant pounding of the waves - that rock becomes sand.
    We must retrieve our eagle....

Servius Labienus 'the younger' (31)
    Senator of Rome

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Yes we do and that is up to the Senior Consul to fulfill that obligation.

ooc: yeah three sounds right... thats not too bad in my opinion, overall for my consulate i think ill be using 5... as for the eagle standard I was planning to RP that it was sent to Sparta... and I plan to personally be there when we take it back...
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Marcus Valerius was known, truly, as an Optimate. One of the good men. One who thinks that the aristocratic nobles of the Senate should lead the Republic, while the lower Plebeians and Capite Censi should serve in the military and plow their farms. He did, on many occasions, seem to be a Populist, due to his attitude and kindness towards the Plebs. But, he was a man with many faces. A public face, and a private face.

Gaius, on the other hand, was neither a loud and disruptive Populare, or a snobbish Optimate. He, instead, was a moderate. He felt that things should stay the way they are, where the people shouldn't have more power over the Patricians, and the Patricians shouldn't hold power over the Plebeians. He did not like long celebrations or feasts, or giving out overly gracious awards and medals. If someone performed a heroic feat, they would be congratulated and thanked, that's it. That's what Gaius thought.

"I must express my sadness over the loss of one of our legions and its eagle. Brave men died that day, and they took many Greek lives with them. A close victory for the Greeks, one that should send terror into the hearts of their rulers and their soldiers too. Monuments should be erected, and the eagle should be viciously recaptured in haste. Another such heroic victory should make the peoples of Hellas and the rest of the world realize that Rome should not be underestimated.

Yet, this is not something we should lose sleep over and stress about. Yes, many brave souls were lost that day and they should be remembed, I agree. But I will not sit here and grieve while we have a Republic to police. There is a war that needs fighting, and a peninsula to be administrated. We must not stray from our duties, Senators."

Gaius completely changes the subject, showing that he will not waste all of his energy over trivial matters.

"I am not a man of the military, and I know little when it comes to tactics and strategy. But, from my observations and from common logic, I can say that fighting this war in this style will not force the Spartan King to abdicate. We are fighting over Gallia Cisalpina, correct? We have been fighting in this territory for the entire war, and we have not advanced into Spartan territory yet. It is true we are not the aggressors in this war, but if we want to stop the endless tide of hoplites roaming into Northern Italy, we must invade Greece itself.

I will point out that the Spartan King is not drawing his manpower from his Illyrian and Germanic clients. The soldiers we have been facing are men of Hellas and the Peloponnese. True, I have noticed a few mercenaries in the Hellenic armies from the Consul's reports, but it appears these men have been from Hellas too. Therefore, were we to conduct an invasion, we must direct the invasion not at Illyria, but Epirus or the Peloponesse. We have to bring this war to Greece itself, bottling our forces up in Patavium and Mediolanum and ordering them to push back the Greek invasionary forces won't end the war. At this rate, the war will last for centuries!

In short, I would suggest turning Gallia Cisalpina into a province. A proconsul should be elected to govern it, while we make our preparations for a strike into Sparta itself. The elected Proconsul should be assigned a couple legions, and with them, he should push back the hoplites and invade Illyria. While Sparta's attention will be on Illyria, the Senior Consul should move the rest of our legions into the Peloponnesse and up to the gates of Sparta. We will be hailed as liberators by the people of Athens and Corinth, especially!

We must go through with this plan or one similiar to it, unless we want our grandchildren and great-grandchildren to suffer from this endless war!"
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; April 25, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    ooc: I'm quite sure there already is a legion in RS called Primigenia.
    ooc: being used right now?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

as for the eagle standard I was planning to RP that it was sent to Sparta
    Please don't...The whole Massilia adventure was bad enough. Stick to the facts.

EDIT

I don't mean the Masslia thing was a bad idea, I just don't like people taking this game off in any direction they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

As Quintus Julius rose up, it almost looked like he had once been a senator in some other incarnation

This eagle must be taken back! Those greeks have overexpanded, and they will pay. This can only be their 1st defense though, and logistics must be applied when we attack again. Not 2 legions, not 3, but at least 5 legions should be raised more. Constant waves of troops will not be the answer.

OOC- sorry if this had been implied already, ive been out for a while

I believe that an invasion into the Peloponnese would be exactly the decisive strike against Greece needed to begin their downfall. Like Quintus Julius said, the Greeks have overexpanded. They can be attacked on too many fronts. Once we start in the Peloponnese, they will have to move most of their forces south to defend it, and meanwhile, we can move in troops through the north and without the manpower to defend against attacks from two sides, it is very likely that Greece will fall.

Remember, this once happened to the Assyrians. The Babylonians and Medians provided much pressure on many fronts. I suggest we also get some military help from the Boshporans (sp?) as they will be more than happy to fight the Greeks.

That's a bold move Quintus. Should it be risked? After all, aren't the Greeks attacking to the north? Shouldn't that be dealt with first?

They seem more than happy to fight against the regime, but until Marcus Aelius arrives there are starts negotiations, we can't know for sure. At the moment, the only people we can rely on to take some action when we start on Greece are the nations who are already fighting the Greeks.

And in response to you Pontif, that is the point of the sourthern invasion. To divert Greek attention from the north to the south.

They seem more than happy to fight against the regime, but until Marcus Aelius arrives there are starts negotiations, we can't know for sure. At the moment, the only people we can rely on to take some action when we start on Greece are the nations who are already fighting the Greeks.

And in response to you Pontif, that is the point of the sourthern invasion. To divert Greek attention from the north to the south.
    OOC- like i said ive been out for a while, whoever is fighting the Greeks should be asked to help

@Pontifex- i think we can keep them from invading up north, we need to attack 2 fronts as said

Is it fiscally possible Quintus? Are there extra legions available? After all, attacking on two fronts would thin our lines as well.

Roman manpower is limitless... at least now. Roman moral is at high right now, we are on the offensive, winning side. Why wouldnt a proud Roman want to be part of the celebration and glory? Good pay, chance for promotion, etc. Thinning our lines will be fine, Roman soldiers won't die like the barbarians, anyways, we will have men from Greece and more money to recruit them if we win.
    Last edited by The10thLegion von Döbeln; April 25, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Quintus Marius is shocked:

How can you value Roman life so little? Put yourself in the shoes of their families when they hear of the death of their father, son or brother. We cannot put their lives on the line to save our own. The Roman soldier has a purpose, and if there is no purpose, then there is no reason to send him out there to die.

As to Caius Pontif's question of the number of legions available, we are currently still waiting for a report from the Senior Consul, but however, like I said, as soon as the Greek's attention is diverted, they should have a lot less men available in the north, allowing us to crush them there.

How can you value Roman life so little? Put yourself in the shoes of their families when they hear of the death of their father, son or brother. We cannot put their lives on the line to save our own. The Roman soldier has a purpose, and if there is no purpose, then there is no reason to send him out there to die.
    Lets see you in the place of a soldier... I fought in Malta, in the African battles as a Roman officer while you were sipping wine in your domus. I have lived through death of family. While we were sad, we beleived he had still beleived he was noble when he died. Our purpose, is to safely secure peace in lands. If we pacify the Greeks, the soldiers wont die for anything, they will die for Roman peace. While i was out there fighting, you were celebrating and were not thinking of the dead... why now start it here?
    We cannot put their lives on the line to save our own
    I was out there fighting, im saving your life! How dare you think i thought so little of Roman lives!

I only judged your outlook from the way you said it.

A man of military bearing walks into the Senate hall

"Salve Senators!
    I am Titus Vedius, military advisor to Spurius Vitruvius. I am here today to present an updated view on our military composition. Please hold your questions until after my presentation.

The following legions are considered to be at Full Strength, that is they have a General, one First Cohort, at least 8 Cohorts, but up to 9, and at least 4 Auxilia, but up to 8...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The next 4 legions are considered understrengthed... as in they don't meet the above requirements, rest assured steps are being taken to bring them to full strength, but this takes time and is difficult to do in times of war.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All legions are currently either in the field or a fortification... the exception being Legio V Alavdae, they are currently being retrained at their home city.

As you can see we currently have 8 legions total, not counting any that might be in Africa. We have the ability to create 1 legion if we need to and that is Legio XIII Gemina, their recruiting home is Bononia.

If you have any questions about my presentation or about military affairs please ask away, I am here for your benefit.
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

I say that we then move to attack the Greeks on their soil for a change, it seems to me we have men enough.

that was the plan of the double invasion, Caius