Thread: Questions about britain in 476 a.d.

Default Questions about britain in 476 a.d.

Hi, I'am making a sub-mod of Rio's IBFD on 476 a.d., but I'am a bit lost in the romano-british. I will make all romano-british in one faction (I know it isn't historically accurate) and I have some questions.

What symbol do you recommend me for the romano-british? something like standard symbol that represents all the briton peoples. I've thinked of a Celtic Cross, but it is a bit too much typical and not a very good war symbol.

In this time reigned Ambrosius Aurelianus, somebody knows what his wife was called? and it had sons? I only that his brother Uther suceeded him.

And by last, I will use the ATW units (they are wonderful!). What units you recommend that I use for a united romano-british faction? I'am planning something like 15 units.

Thank you in advance.

NEW VERSION OF RUINS OF GLORY RELEASED!!! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Default Re: Questions about britain in 476 a.d.

Just wanted to precise that Boz of course got our agreement about using ATW units as doing an IBFD submod

will make all romano-british in one faction (I know it isn't historically accurate) and I have some questions.
    It may have been at some points, like under Ambrosius.

What symbol do you recommend me for the romano-british? something like standard symbol that represents all the briton peoples. I've thinked of a Celtic Cross, but it is a bit too much typical and not a very good war symbol.
    You got it right, a celtic cross would be totally inapropriate for sub-roman Britain. I would eventually suggest a red dragon over white field for exemple, as it is a famous pan-brittonic symbol. It would probably look more like a snake, not like the modern welsh dragon. I got pictures from the Notitia Dignitatum if you need.

In this time reigned Ambrosius Aurelianus, somebody knows what his wife was called? and it had sons? I only that his brother Uther suceeded him.
    Of Ambrosius we do know really few, apart from Gildas and later Nennius say about him, that he was a true roman, etc. We don't have any name of a wife, and of course having Uther as his brother and Arthur are his nephew are later developments of the legend which can be good for a mod but are not historically attested (as both Arthur and even more Uther are not well attested characters).
    Ambrosius was maybe the same than the Riothamus which we heard about campaigning in Gaul at this time to help emperor Anthemius in 469 AD against the Goths. Ambrosius is actually called in the irish version of the Historia Brittonum "King of the Letavian (ie Armorican or continental) Britons and Franks". Riothamus can really be a title, something like "great king". There were much Britons around in Northern Gaul in the Vth century and those were natural allies of the kingdom of Aegidius and Syagrius.

Now, there is VIth century characters which may have been of Ambrosius's dynasty. First one if Aurelius Caninus, criticised in Gildas' pamphlet as one of the petty kings of western Britain. Second one is known as Saint Paul, or Paulus Aurelianus, he became the bishop of a part of Brittany in the VIth century and came from the southern briton aristocracy like much other saints.

What units you recommend that I use for a united romano-british faction? I'am planning something like 15 units.
    I would recommand for a good Vth century army:
    - cavalry: teulu, marca contwn, marca, myrchan
    - infantry: campwyr, bonheddwyr (possibly as AoR in more western regions), aulue, rherel
    - skirmishers and archers: ardu, saethwyr, rhyfelwyr

Having a selection of gaelic/irish and germanic/saxon federates would be top nutch as well.

Thank you very much for the info. If you can send me that image it will be very helpful.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/Equitum1.jpg
    You can see it here on the shield of the Equites Taifali.

I've returned to work in my mod, and now I'am making the britons, and I have made various versions of symbols, if you like to comment what you think is the best.

The link of the post is on my signature.

Only let you know that I have released my mod!