Thread: mss32.dll not found error

Default mss32.dll not found error

Hello, I have just installed PDER 1.0a over a clean install of kingdoms and when I click the pder shortcut to start the game I get an error message which reads

"mss32.dll was not found"

can anyone help me?

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: mss32.dll not found error

Quote Originally Posted by waldopbarnstormer View Post
    Hello, I have just installed PDER 1.0a over a clean install of kingdoms and when I click the pder shortcut to start the game I get an error message which reads

"mss32.dll was not found"

can anyone help me?
    You could try downloading it here.

Though I'm really not a tech guy.

Having followed your link I don't understand why it should be missing, I haven't tampered with any of my windows files.

I just realised that I have installed kingdoms to a different location to M2TW and that is why I cannot find the file, d'oh

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee did you know I was admin once

Blog Entries

Your file should be in the root of M2TW, not anywhere in the Windows or Program file directories.
    Check and download from Socal's link if missing (or do you want to re-install the whole game and then the mod?)

Hey everyone,

I know it has been ages since anyone has used this thread but! I have downloaded mss32.dll and now do not know where in the m2tw files to place it?!

Any help is appreciated!

Blog Entries

It needs to go into the root of M2TW, copy it into the tools\unpacker folder as well.

What is considered the 'root'? because I can not find a file called that!

And also thanks for the help

Blog Entries

The root of a folder is where that directory 'tree' starts. For example the root of M2TW would be C:\Program files\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War

Hi, I'm just having the same error with this mss32.dll file but the thing is that I do have the file in front of me..I mean it isn't missing at all!!! So why do I keep getting this error? When I googled on that error I found at the microsoft support page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319114) that it might happen due to a damaged path to that dll file (also in another post it mentions the same issue) - so if the file exists and everything looks OK, where and how can I see that problematic 'path' and how do I fix it?

Blog Entries

The file might not be missing, the program that needs it is just looking in the wrong place. Copy the file from C:\...\Medieval II Total War into the unpacker directory (C:\...\Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoHmi View Post
    Hi, I'm just having the same error with this mss32.dll file but the thing is that I do have the file in front of me..I mean it isn't missing at all!!! So why do I keep getting this error? When I googled on that error I found at the microsoft support page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319114) that it might happen due to a damaged path to that dll file (also in another post it mentions the same issue) - so if the file exists and everything looks OK, where and how can I see that problematic 'path' and how do I fix it?
    Odds are, you can't repair the path. As Gigantus suggests, the likely issue is that something isn't where it's supposed to be. You can try copying the mss32.dll into your m2tw folder.

But please DO NOT download dlls from sites such as www.dll-files.com. That's asking for very serious trouble.

GOTO: https://www.dll-files.com/mss32.dll.html scroll down and click your system bit and latest version and download! If your in google chrome right click download and click open in new tab then extract the .dll file to downloads open a new explorer goto your c drive > Windows > System 32 and paste the file in there restart PC and boom!