Thread: Medieval II Mod Questions & Recommendations

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Mod Questions and Recommendations Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    That's still a bit too late, I'd prefer RTW era or earlier....
    A bit earlier:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=620

Hi I'm looking for a mod that features historical accuracy and realism for either M2TW or M2TWK.
    31 factions, extended map, new units, and historical detail for each faction.
    Kind of like EB or RTR for RTW
    Any suggestions?

Default Necessary mods for M2TW?

Hey all bought empire TW and have just been dissapointed so I am now back to Medieval 2. I never knew total war had such a huge forum center and so many working brilliant mods, I only looked into it all after getting empire to work properly was such a hassle. So here I am now back to my good old favourite medieval. But now that I am aware of all thats going on I have a few questions.

After clocking in hundreds of hours of vanilla medieval2 I found it to be brilliant but what mods would you guys suggest to be a great/realistic addition to M2, I heard about the AI mod, is this any good? and generally any mods you guys would recommend that are not too huge like the third age mod something not larger than the 400mb mark. Its one thing to read up about mods but I cant really tell which is really A+ class, and tbh I dont have all that much bandwidth to go messing around.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone reccomends and am exited to get stuck back in to some medieval warfare with some additional features!

Default Re: Necessary mods for M2TW?

sorry for double post but I think it is important to add I DO own the kingdoms expansion.

Stainless Steel would be my recommendation if you want an overhaul of the game, still set in medieval europe.

Third Age TW is also a very impressive mod, set in JRR Tolkiens "Lord of Rings"

Westeros TW is set in "A song of ice and fire" (a book series written by George RR Martin (the first book is game of thrones)

And there are plenty of other very good mods, just explore around here and here.

Really it all depends on what you are looking for

(and PS, the names of the mods are links)

I believe he said he doesn't want very large mods because he doesn't want to waste too much of his bandwidth. SS and TATW are both enormous. I think Westeros Total War is a bit smaller.

Thats no problem I looked into them they look great but are way too big for now...atm im just looking for the best mod that kinda improves CAI/BAI. I thought there might be some complete overhaul mods that are in my range but not for now. There are loads of skin/texture mods! I am amazed looks really cool might grab a few of those

Only thing is, I am afraid if I load a mod up it might mess up my game, I only have cd1 with me and I cannot remember if I used the second cd to install, and I dont want to not be able to install again. And the cd is back home as I am on holiday now.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Just about all mods leave your normal install for what it is, they are installed in the mods folder of M2TW and do not change any vanilla files.

okay thats good news so now for that AI mod anyone care to tell which they use or what is advised to use, that would be my first step for now. Ive seen alot of them but Im not sure how good they are

List of mods: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Category:TWC_Hosted_Modifications_-_MTW2

If you like vanilla you should also try the Retrofit Mod, which mostly just fixes the problems and adds a bit more.

what about darthmod? is it any good in medieval2? anyone use it?

I used it a while ago and enjoyed it alot, its a solid mod and in my opinion an ideal one for you start a new game of medieval 2

thats great because im pretty happy with vanilla as I said I just need a bit more of a challenge and some depth/realism.

fredtrotter's Avatar Centenarius

Retrofit is a smaller mod which simply fixes bugs from vanilla.
    Bringing Awesomeness to twc since 2011

Australia 5, Poms 0
    Hockey world champions once more!
    Freo will win this year.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Hi I'm looking for a mod that features historical accuracy and realism for either M2TW or M2TWK.
    31 factions, extended map, new units, and historical detail for each faction.
    Kind of like EB or RTR for RTW
    Any suggestions?

extended map - Broken Crescent (centred around the holy land and arabia), Last Kingdom (only british isles), For King and Country (only british isles), Chivalry II (vanilla scale, corrected map)

new units - the best in this is Last Kingdom (viking/saxon them), more generally Broken Crescent and Chivalry II (as of quality). Stainless steel has the most units, but there are many fantasy skins

historical detail - Broken Crescent or Chivalry II

I think Chivalry II is your mod, and if you don't mind desert, and would like to try Seljuks, Kipchaks, Omanis, then definietly try out Broken Crescent. Scipt/challenge wise the best is Stainless Steel, but it has an unhistorical map, long AI turns (because of scripts), and many fantasy unit skins (last time I checked Hungary had a strange vampire flavour with unhistorical red/black)

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by fredtrotter View Post
    Retrofit is a smaller mod which simply fixes bugs from vanilla.
    yep, this
    retrofit is a must, there is no point in playing vanilla when you have a mod like retrofit that balances the vanilla and fixes some minor bugs; in addition to this you can also download GUAM (it's a pack that adds all the units from the kingdosm campaign and works perfectly with retrofit)
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

I like the Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod and recommend it to everyone, it keeps the improvements of Retrofit, keeps the original campaign map with a few more extra regions, improves A.I. I believe and makes your enemies a little aggressive when at war, which they will send more stacks more often, oh and did I mention that it adds most of the factions from Kingdoms, including the Mongols and Aztecs(takes a bit of editing from the descr_strat, in which you copy and paste the aztecs from non-playable and switch it with another faction that you dont like as much.)

im running darthmod now, and I had a CTD once otherwise it seems ok im just not a huge fan of so much movement points. does retrofit make all aspects of the ai realistic and beleivable like darthmod?

Ok so Im interested in the GUAM and KGCM

I have downloaded retrofit v1.0 and want to install it but i have a few queries first. What is the difference between GUAM and KGCM I Am now basically looking for the mod that best keeps to vannilla but with the most additional units and the best bugfixing and AI.

Im very confused at to what these two do I have read about them but they seem to do the same thing I just dont know wich does it better? And does the retrofit mod closely resemble darthmod's CAI/BAI?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

You might be dissapointed about retrofit's AI, I don't think they did anything about it. The GUAM units are great though so retrofit is fun to play, I would advice you to play Denmark first, it's great.