Page 5 of 237 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Mod Questions & Recommendations

Civis

Default Re: Suggest me a mod please

I'm playing Stainless Steel 3.1 at the moment and I'm finding that quite enjoyable.
    This might not be the Real Tordis_Umulius, the profile might be hacked, at least there is showing up a bunch of nonsense in certain parts of this Forum. I DO NOT POST IN DISCUSSION AND DEBATE.

Default Re: Best way to change turns per year?

It's very easy to change this yourself (you do not need to unpack your game, and do not need to create a batch file to run it with the changes) go through the following folders:

Sega/M2TW/Data/World/Maps/Campaign/Imperial_Campaign

Open the file descr_strat

Just under the faction listings (which are at the very top) you'll find the following text:

start_date xxxx summer
    end_date xxxx winter
    timescale xxxx

Now change start date, end date or timescale to whatever you like. Note, timescale is what effects the number of years-per-turn and defaults to 2.00. It can be changed to either 0.50 (one year per turn) or to 4.00 (four years per turn) I do not think there are limits on what the start and end date can be set to, but remember changing the date effects whether or not, or when you'll see events triggered.

As far as changing event dates and editting building construction times, you will need to unpack your game before the correct files can be editted, and editting them will take some time. You will also need to then run the game via a batch file which you will have to create using the io file_first line.

Quote Originally Posted by dad_savage View Post
    It can be changed to either 0.50 (one year per turn)
    actually thats two turns per year.

If I was you I'd use some mod - editing all construction times, event dates, construction prices etc... takes some time. It depends on what you prefer, but lands to conquer (in the hosted mods section) changes the timeline to 1 turn/year whilst adjusting construction times along with some other improvements. If you want larger scaled changes and a 0.5 timescale (the only one at which characters age 1 year per year, which is why I prefer 0.5), you could use Deus Lo Vult or the long road (also to be found in the mods section).
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; April 30, 2007 at 04:28 PM.

under the patronage of Belisarius

you can even make one turn least 100 years the possibilities are endless

I like playing at 1 year per turn but the problem I had was that towns and castles grew WAY too fast. So I cut the growth rates in half so for example Constantinople becomes a large city around 1140. Some cities even decrease in population unless you build farms . This also gives you more time to build stuff and makes you build better farms (I found Land Clearance sufficent on normal settings).
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

Thanks you all for answering so fast.

It does sound like going with a mod is the best solution, id rather be playing than looking at configuration files

Taking a look at the mods with an eye to stay close to the original MTWII, it seems to come down to:

1. Stainless Steel (includes instructions for one turn / year)
    2. Lands to Conquer
    3. The long road

From a cursory glance it seems that Stainless steel or LTC is the one that is closest to the original MTWII, ie most of the changes are bug fixes or small balance changes.

Any recommendations?

Stainless Steel also has a modified building time file for timescale=1, i'd hit that.

If you want to stay as close to the original game as possible, go for LTC - stainless steel incorporates more changes, like an increased number of provinces.

Civitate

Is there a mod that has been completed based in Roman times or an asian setting?

LTC is definately a quality mod (as are the others mentioned). It's also one of the more customizable for people who want a tailor-made mod.

Personally, I use LTC with my Emotive AI mod, edit the files to adjust to a year and a half per turn (I've found this to be the best balanced time scale), add units I feel are missing, and adjust factions a little to fit what I envision them.

That's the great thing about mods in Medieval 2. Once you understand how modding works you can make a mod made just for you and the game becomes so much more enjoyable.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

To answer the OP: the best way is MedManager (downloads section). It allows you to change dates, turns etc anytime during a campaign.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenil View Post
    That's the great thing about mods in Medieval 2. Once you understand how modding works you can make a mod made just for you and the game becomes so much more enjoyable.

Exactly - I personally MTW2 1.2 with LTC 2.2, Bloods Broads and Bastards 1.9+ along with emotive AI and my own timeline adjusted to timescale 0.5 and Lusteds changes. I think I've never played a campaign with the same combination of mods/own changes. Needless to say that they're all very different.

Stainless steel vs LTC:
    Im having a hard time telling which of these two mods change the game the least. Stainless less might change the provinces (a minor thing in my book), but im more worried about all the game balance (such as changed unit stats) tweaks in LTC, but maybe SS actually have more of those?

Sinan:
    MedManager seems nice, but it doesnt seem to help adjust construction time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ziphnor View Post
    Stainless steel vs LTC:
    Im having a hard time telling which of these two mods change the game the least. Stainless less might change the provinces (a minor thing in my book), but im more worried about all the game balance (such as changed unit stats) tweaks in LTC, but maybe SS actually have more of those?

Sinan:
    MedManager seems nice, but it doesnt seem to help adjust construction time etc.

Stainless surely is a quality mod, but I haven't played it, so I recommended LTC instead. The provinces thingy is important to me since I combine LTC with BBB and that lacks the entries for titles for the new regions. It would work, but not totally seamless. So when it comes to using either LTC or SS as a standalone, it might be a par situation - depends on ones preference too. I rarely zoom in, so I don't mind any texture changes like they are in SS...

Quote Originally Posted by Tranceaddict View Post
    I have finished 3 campaigns in MTW2 (vanilla, LTC 2.1, and Ultimate AI 1.3). I want to install the new 1.2 patch and try out another mod. What would you guys recommend? I am especially curious about (Deus Lo Vult, Darthmod, The Long Road, or Stainless Steel). I usually play h/h or vh/vh, and I find that once I overcome the early difficulties then the rest of the campaign is fairly easy. I want a good challenge, where it really takes time and effort to destroy a faction and the end result is very gratifying. In other words I am looking for an epic style of play where taking each major settlement is a great feat, and the enemy army has powerful stacks of well balanced units. BTW, when I play I just don't steamroll from the start I usually focus on my economy and let the AI built up.

Anyone else? My thread ended up here and all the answers ceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranceaddict View Post
    Anyone else? My thread ended up here and all the answers ceased.
    Yes - merging the threads kills them just as effective as closing them... On Topic: I think I have a similar playing style and I've tried LTC with some additional changes and enjoyed it however, playing on h/vh, I found my financial situation to be too easy - guess I'll give DLV 3.0 a go today - sounds very promising.

Default Re: Need Mod Recommendations? Ask Away Here

wow, i didn't even know this excellent thread existed! thanks to the merge (and bump) because i wouldn't have noticed this!

EDIT: i should really check out the other sub-forums

Default OrthodoXXrusade!!!

Any one know of a mod that allows an orthodox crusade?

realistically, the byzantines waged war for the state, they didnt taint god with their wars bbut its a videogame so what the heck!

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

Default Re: OrthodoXXrusade!!!

Whats the greek equivalent for the word crusade? Or isn't the word origionally greek? I would like to see the orthodax factions to have a religious war, give everyone the possibility to declare holy war. What kind of units would an orthodox crusade unit have?
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.