Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Parthicus/Corvinus (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Parthicus/Corvinus (II)

The consulate of Qunitus Marius Parthicus and Marcus Valerius Corvinus

Marcus Lucretius Falco has been appointed leader of the tribunes with 45% of the votes.
    His fellow tribunes are Manius Velius Octavius, Spurius Vitruvius Habitus and Quintus Julius

Pvblivs Valerivs Pvblicola is now the Proconsul of Sicilia
    Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus has been awarded the position of Praetor.

Last edited by Caesar Rex; April 27, 2008 at 03:22 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Parthicus and Corvinus

Quintus Marius walks into the Senate following his four lictors. The election has been close, but he is in, and is already ready to do as the Senate bids on the three points of concern that will basically shape this terms happenings. Sitting down on the curule chair, he announces these to points in a loud clear voice:

Esteemed Senators and People of Rome:
    I am gratified to be re-elected as Senior Consul, and do my best to fulfill the promises I made to you at the end of the last term. The three main concerns of the Roman Republic are these:
    1. Whether to capture of Bononia from the Gauls or not
    2. What to do about the amount of Greek armies loitering en masse on our northern border, and threatening invasion.
    3. What action to take on the Greek army advancing down from the mountain passes to Massilia.
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; April 13, 2008 at 12:39 PM.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Consular Servius Labienus Africanus rises from his seat in the front row...
    He is aided by his servant to his feet, he tucks his left hand into the folds of his toga.

Consul Parthicus, senators of Rome.
    A man at my age has little time left to make significant difference to the world.
    And to that point, the time is now for us to decide on the fate of our borders.
    These concerns the consul has pointed out are indeed very important.
    The censor from the last term has shown us much in his reports and there is a lot that is not being done in Italy and the other provinces.
    In almost every city in Italy including Rome, people are leaving.
    Yes, those that remain may be content but what of those that are leaving.
    Building programs are few and far between.
    Our treasury is bursting at the seams from the taxes we receive yet nothing is being poured back into the economy.
    Our legions cost our thousands and without them, where would we be.
    I believe the blow we have dealt the gallic savages has been harsh and demoralising.
    They are faced with a worse enemy than Rome now.
    The greek hordes that are pushing their gallic infantry to the brink of destruction must be stopped.
    I do not say that we must go to war with this nation but we must move to have them retreat back to thier lands in the east.
    It does no good to the land to have these wars on our borders.
    Trade routes to the north are almost non-existant.
    We must move swiftly to end this war between the gauls and the greeks. They must be forced back to their own lands and the padus must be secured in the name of Rome.
    The consul must decide now what is to be done.
    To secure Genoa, Massilia and move to take Bononia cannot be done by one man.
    The legions required to handle these hordes has to be controlled by consulars as this is not just a rabble but an entire army.
    We have two consuls in office, out of the two other consulars, Publicola is now proconsul of Sicily and I am here in Rome.
    Whether the consul wishes to act alone is not my decision but the people who make up the law that we follow know what it is coming from the north.
    Now is no time for heroics, but for swift action.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

In that case, I shall travel northward immediately. If the Junior Consul wishes to follow, I leave that to his own decision.

Up in the north, I shall immediately open negotiations with the Greeks. Hopefully, as fair and civilised people, I hope that they will see the reason in our demands, and the fairness of the agreement. I shall offer them an alliance, map information, and perhaps in little money for persuasion, as this money is going forward for the protection of the Republic. In return, I shall demand that they give us Mediolanium and Patavium, and they also give map information. It will take some convincing, but I will try to bargain with them the best I can, and report back once it is done. If the negotiations do not go well, I shall inform the Senate anyway, and the Conscript Fathers will need to make another decision.

On the path of war, I shall be aiming to capture Bononia with as few casualties as the battle against Genoa, and hopefully, even fewer. Then, if we can get the Greeks to sign the agreement, we shall have all of Italy in Roman hands. I shall then post a legion on the border to Greece in case they break our treaty, and also one on the Gaulish border, in case those Gauls haven't fully learnt their lesson and hope to invade our lands again.

If there is still time after this, I shall travel around Italy and authorise the construction of buildings that will both strengthen the economy and make less people leave our cities. We need a growing population and a growing economy working together in balance. Hopefully, the buildings I make shall help implement this. After this, I shall return to Rome. If the Senate has other work for me, I shall do it immediately, and then retire from work abroad the field for a term or two, content that I have done my part for the glory of Rome.

Vale Senators, and my relative Sextus Julius will again be my man here in Senate.

ooc: whoever has the save (one of the proconsuls I presume) can I please have it asap? Thanks

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Conscript Fathers, I protest! I believe that for the safety of the Republic we must not - I repeat, we MUST NOT - attack the city of Bononia. Not only such a bold move will compel the Greeks to think twice on our motives to expand north, it might even cause the eruption of a full scale war with the Greeks. I say, let them come to us should the Gods demand such a war between our nations! We must display good relations; if war comes, let it be the Greek's fault!"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Quintus Marius, knowing that there would be opposition in the Senate, had briefed Sextus Julius on all his plans and ideas. So now as Quintus Servilius objects, Sextus replies:

If you'd listened carefully to what the my relative Marius had said, you would have realised that he's going to negotiate with the Greeks before he attacks Bononia. Of course, if the negotiations do not go well, it is common sense to leave the capture of Bononia till later and wait for the Senate's word and further orders.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"I have listened carefully, I just pointed the common sense out to this Senate House so that we avoid any unpleasant discussions..."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

And how do you propose to maintain the city of Genoa if its eastern flank is left open?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

There is only one way from Genoa from the east, and that is through a mountain pass. Yet to get to that mountain pass, you have to get through Bononia first. This can be seen in the first map posted by Servius Labienus

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

"It was close...very close."

Marcus' mind is filled with thoughts and plans as he walks towards the Curia. While it was true he won the election to Consul, he didn't achieve his goal. Senior Consul. That's what he wanted. A title that revealed who the better man was out of the two Consuls. A title that showed a man's popularity, power, and political influence. A title that granted you control of the Roman world.

Instead, he received the position of Junior Consul. Junior. What was he, a youthful, inexperienced Tribune bossing around the Plebeian Centurions under his command? Was he a young, robed Quaestor managing the finances of some Proconsul or Propraetor? No, he was a Consulare. Marcus has lead the Republic before, both in Italy and in Sicily. He has protected the Plebs' rights, as Tribune. Yet, he has received the title "Junior." Oh, how the Gods love to play and torment.

Entering the Senate Hall, Marcus nods at the Senators who take note of his appearance, and he sits in his Curile Chair.

"Excuse the interruption, but I'd like to announce my appointments for this term.

The Princeps Senatus for this term will be:

Senator Marcus Fabianus Grattius

And, the Censor for this term shall be:

Senator Quintus Julius
    "Should these two Senators decline the offers, I will immediately appoint someone else so the position will be fulfilled."

Marcus rolls up his scroll, and makes a second announcement.

"It comes to my attention that, for the last few years, the Republic has been neglected, like Senator Labienus has stated. War may seem beneficial at first, but when we're engaged in it for many terms, it sends us into recession and it sends the mob into a state of anger and hate. And, for the rest of this year, we will probably see constant war and death below the Alps."

Marcus then pauses, not only to take a breather, but to allow each Senator to evaluate what he just said.

"Therefore, being a Consul and the equal of Consul Marius, I will, if the Senate wishes, administrate the Republic while our good Consul is battling the Celts up north. Consul Marius cannot focus on both strategic moves and the welfare of the Republic at the same time, and so I'd like to relieve him of one of his most tiring duties.

Should our beloved Consul need any assistance up north, instead, then I will not hesitate from taking my sword and traveling to his command center. But otherwise, I will gladly manage the Republic in his absence..."
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; April 13, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

king_of_sparta's Avatar Libertus

Ten minutes earlier just before Junior Consul Marcus Valerius Corvinus made his announment Fabianus walks in. I will glady accept this honour of becoming Princeps Senatus.

ooc: what does the Princeps Senatus do?
    ME, YOUR MOM AND HITLER
    YATS Marcus Fabianus Grattius

The plebeian tribune Manius Velius, who always remained silent during the discussions, as he didn't seem to find it necessary to intervene, was now troubled. There was unrest in this hall, disagreement amongst the Senators. Manius demanded to speak.

'Fellow Romans! Senators! I humbly turn to you with a plea. These are troubled times, you must agree. As our colleague, the noble Servius Africanus pointed out, it is a time for action. But how do we determine this action?
    We all know the results of the motion regarding the incursion into Bononian lands. Even I, who has seen war in it's most cruel and brute form, voted positive for such action. Now, I am no adherent to Greek culture, maybe some other Senators could shed light on that matter. But I know the Greek nature in warfare. They are ruthless and most cunning, just bring back the memory of Pyrrhus of Epirus. The Greeks have amassed huge forces to the North. I believe this is no simple invasion into Gaul. The Greeks will surely be provoked and a new war will begin.
    Countrymen, I see this as their plan to crush the Roman people! We must reassess the whole situation and if we must, even break our sacred law and re-vote the 'Bononian' motion. As Metellus pointed out, we must not attack Bononia. My argument against the move is that it lacks strategic coherence. The taking of Genoa was an expected event. Look carefully at the Roman possessions in Northern Italia. We now have perfect defensive choke-points. In case the Greek hordes invade us, we will pin them down, call other Legios and assemble new ones and crush the enemy right there, in the heart of our lands. I hope our minds are clear in the wake of this new war, because in the opposite scenario, Rome itself may fall.'

Let us first see the results of a negotiation with the Greeks before we decide whether to capture Bononia or not, because if we manage to get the Greeks to withdraw, then Bononia shall not be in danger of Greek invasion at all.

'With all due respect, Consul, the Greeks will not back down. I am sure that with the military power they possess right now, they will not agree to a compromise. We must levy Legions and prepare to fight! I urge all Senators to look upon the Bononia as a matter of national security!'

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

How can you be so sure the Greeks will not back down? Let us try to arrange some sort of treaty with the Greeks instead of simply refusing the possibility of an alliance. After all, they have sought to contact us before with trade rights, what makes you think they do not want an alliance?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Lucivs Valerivs Dentatvs(means born with teeth. Funky eh?) strode into the hall. He was Pvblicola's charsimatic, Handsome and well versed son. He walked with an arrogant swagger, only just 30 and eligable for the rank of Senatore. Without hesitation or nerve, he proclaimed his presence to to the chamber.

Senatores, I am here not only as a senator, but as a voice for my absent father.

But who needs an introduction when war is at hand.

He marchs imperiously to the centre of the Cvria

War with gaul is at hand, to allow Bononia to fester like a boil will only create more bloodshed, for there are two likely occurances from our hesitance. Either the gauls will rally and again fight us, or the greeks will advance and our hesitance will allow them more of the valley, and only a series of bottlenecks in which to do battle when the inevitable day comes.

Men, we shall have to fight the greeks. They willingly enter our sphere of influence and capture land. This in my mind, is reason enough should they be threatening us. So let me ask you, what do you see the Greeks doing now? Taking their armies and conquering a penniless Gaul? Or striking south at the Republic and her Allies, with wealth beyond all of gaul tripled!

These men are learned fellows and will attack where the oppurtunity is greatest. We must seize Bononia and prepare for war, hope of peace is now long gone. We must mobilize for war! Total War! This is Rome, and we shall not abide aggression against us!

Delenda est Grecia!(it might be the wrong word to use)

OOC:Surely the greeks wouldn't give land, and I wouldn't want to use force diplomacy, because I see it as cheating if we demand it as a gift rather than a cost of ceasefire
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

'My point, exaclty, young Dentatus.' - again rose Octavius. 'I am not against the attempt for alliance, but surely you can see the Greeks have come to Italy to wage war.'

Octavius felt the moment was of extreme importance. He expected the Consuls to take part in the heated debates.

'Also still we have no consensus on the Bononia matter. Yes, the motion is passed, but shouldn't we let the Gauls be a buffer for us, while we build up our forces and fortify our borders? What exactly does Bononia give us? Resources? New land for the nobility? Or maybe the plebes? Fellow Senators, I beg you to reconsider. Our positions are stable as they are now. Examine the choke points well.'

Last edited by Octavius-Augustus; April 14, 2008 at 10:24 AM.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I bring word from my father, he and Metellus wish to appoint Maxim Victor as Quaestor, should he wish to take up the position.

If the senate wishes to wait let them do so, but it will not take long to build the neccesary fighting force. We should attack sooner rather than later.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

'I agree with Publicola's opinion.'

'Nice boy he raised' - thought Octavius.

ooc: Shouldn't you be appointing Marcus Aelius Triarius?

Well a try is better than no try at all. And try Quintus Marius shall.

ooc: since no one has given me the save, I shall just presume that the proconsuls have not made any changes, and I will continue with the same save I finished with at the end of last term.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast