Thread: One of CTD solutions

Icon7 One of CTD solutions

CTD in RM bugs me a lot until I read:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124476

I used the following method successfully to continue one of my "dead" campaigns. I also believe that it is good method to debug the program.

"Also, it has been said that the following method might help. If you have a CTD during the Ai turn you should reload the saved game(you`d better have one ) and then use the toggle_fow command(type ` then write toggle_fow, then hit enter and then hit ` again to make the panel go away) so you can watch the moves during the Ai turn. Rememeber where the CTD occurs and the next time press esc right before it would have heppened. Then save the game and exit. Start the game again and load this saved game. With some luck(it didn`t work for me in one example) you`ll be able to continue the campaign."

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: One of CTD solutions

Thanks for that, ttoommyy its useful info to have.

Lord Of The Knights's Avatar Rome Medieval ******

Hi ttoommyy,you mean we can agnore all RM CTDs by this method?
    if that is true,thanks very much,its really very usefull.
    anyway i will fix all CTDs Causes and reasons in RM.

Hi LOTK, All CTDs in RM can be classified into three categories.

1. Game CTDed for any reason. Then the latest saving crash when the loading bar is completed. I can not save this 'dead save file'. Thus, the latest good save-file need to be loaded. Hopefully you have one. However, in my experience, game will be CTDed soon after loading the good save-file. Normally within four turns. Thus it is better to save as many as possible after loading the good saving file. Then we can identify the exacting CTD time and reason using 'toggle_fow' method.

2. CTD in AI turn. Just use the method. works 100% for me for now.

3. CTD after attacking/ attacked by a 'weird' army. In my under-going campaign, one of Spanish army has ZERO number of soliders. In the battlefield, it shows 30 chivalries. Then CTD after I won this battle. I didn't try if 'toggle_fow' method works for this kind of error. I just leave those kind of "ghost" armies as far as possible.

Again, Great Mod. Thanks LOTK. Just keep on your great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of The Knights View Post
    Hi ttoommyy,you mean we can agnore all RM CTDs by this method?
    if that is true,thanks very much,its really very usefull.
    anyway i will fix all CTDs Causes and reasons in RM.

Hi LOTK,

Finally, I found the root cause of my CTD is a army of Spanish faction. The army only consists of 1 group of Khan's calvary(How come Khan's Calvary in Spanish faction?). Whenever, this army got destroyed, the game CTDs. I can use 'toggle-fow' save-load method to avoid the army is destroyed by other factions (I am using Engliand). However, when I occupied the last city of Spanish faction, The game CTDs immediately. I can not solve this now. The I believe that it is not difficult job to fix this kind of CTD. Just take Khan's calvary out of Spanish faction. Hope you can fix this problem. I will start a new campaign then. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ttoommyy View Post
    Hi LOTK, All CTDs in RM can be classified into three categories.

1. Game CTDed for any reason. Then the latest saving crash when the loading bar is completed. I can not save this 'dead save file'. Thus, the latest good save-file need to be loaded. Hopefully you have one. However, in my experience, game will be CTDed soon after loading the good save-file. Normally within four turns. Thus it is better to save as many as possible after loading the good saving file. Then we can identify the exacting CTD time and reason using 'toggle_fow' method.

2. CTD in AI turn. Just use the method. works 100% for me for now.

3. CTD after attacking/ attacked by a 'weird' army. In my under-going campaign, one of Spanish army has ZERO number of soliders. In the battlefield, it shows 30 chivalries. Then CTD after I won this battle. I didn't try if 'toggle_fow' method works for this kind of error. I just leave those kind of "ghost" armies as far as possible.

Again, Great Mod. Thanks LOTK. Just keep on your great work.
    Last edited by ttoommyy; April 13, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Lord Of The Knights's Avatar Rome Medieval ******

Thanks,i will make a fix for that when i have time.

Any idea what to do if the game crashes when I try to load it? That's the case in one of my recent campaigns (I have the latest fix).

As far as I know, that is 'dead' save-file. No solution now. Hope that you have earlier save-flie

Quote Originally Posted by SaadHabib View Post
    Any idea what to do if the game crashes when I try to load it? That's the case in one of my recent campaigns (I have the latest fix).

Nope. I only have one save file for it. Unless there are any auto-saves? It's a pity. It was by far my best campaign.