Thread: Using alex.exe with Steam version of RTW

Default Using alex.exe with Steam version of RTW

If anyone has gotten this to work, would you be able to tell me what you did? I have followed the instructions in other threads, but I think that tying it in with the Steam launcher is messing it up, because I always get an error with the chatfilter file.

Also, not to be annoying, but the forum title has Technical spelled wrong.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Using alex.exe with Steam version of RTW

I can't believe no one has noticed that until now (or at least not mentioned it).

Don't steam shortcuts use a number (game ID) for launching each game, so adding all the stuff (-nm etc.) after that shortcut should work, although I don't know how you'd create a copy to install RS on, if that is what you wanted to do. Steam is the worst DRM in the universe.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Yeah, I tried adding the launch options to the game in the Steam interface, no go. I tried creating a shortcut using the "create shortcut" option from the Steam interface and adding the options, no go. I tried creating a shortcut directly from the Steam directory in my file tree- that wouldn't even start, because it kept saying "Steam not found".

For some strange reason, I can use the launch options through BI, which is better than plain RTW, but I think that works because RTW and BI are located in the same directory, and Alex is in a separate one inside Steam. Maybe I should try installing RS in the Alex directory? Hmm... That will have to wait until after work.

Don't install Rs in the alex directory ...all of the game engines and mechanics files for RS to overwrite dont exist in the alex folder

Well, until Steam lets me do things properly, I'll be sticking with the BI.exe then. It's convenient to not have to put the disc in the drive every time to play, or be able to play at any computer with Steam on it, but it's still got its annoyances.

desinstalled the mod after 4-5 day waiting for help thanks anyway it look great i may try it back one day .
    Last edited by igotballsofsteel; September 17, 2009 at 04:24 PM.

Patriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

20 days later, my current computer cannot handle RS, so I am just guessing here.
    If you bought Gold, then Alex at a later date, you will get a rome total war Alexander file.
    It works basically like this, it has an alex file in it, like there would be if you had anthology, but also vanilla files.
    I assume you could use this info to your advantage, but I am not sure if it has all of the files.