Thread: hit points!?

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default hit points!?

first i love this mod!!! eburc is my fav faction cuz they seem the most roman to me haha. any way the hitpoints are so mush that it takes dang near for ever to kill the enemy. like when my 6 units of havy calvery charged one unit of campuare (sorry cant spell em) ALL FROM diff sides they just moved around like they felt not a thing!! just saying sorry but i do love this mod haha
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Default Re: hit points!?

I don't think you charged right. When I play as Dal Raida (not known for good cavalry) I can kill at least a few Campwyr in one charge and many more in subsequent charges. In fact I salvaged a battle once by using 2 units of light cavalry to charge the rear of 3 campwyr-level units over and over again. Just remember to charge the rear, retreat, distract and charge again and I guarantee you will crush those units.

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

yes, but thats not intended. In the next build, the unit sizes, especially those of light cav, will be set correct. The current size of 100 horesmen is too large.

Generally light cavalry or long-range skirmishers should prepare an effective cavalry charge by soften the formaton with missile volleys. Marca for instance are ideal for this purpose as they can also be send along with heavier lancers in order to support them in melee after the charge. By the multiple HP solution it is also intended to simulate javelins and arrows just sticking in the shield or causing non-critical wounds hindering the combattant instead of instantly killing him.
    Last edited by swabian; April 16, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Well don't assume that I crushed those units without cost now. I was down to only a handful of cavalry in the end. My army after the battle was only about 50 men, including the ones that had run away before the battle ended, but that's great compared to their 0.

Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage, ounce of pain, pint of blood,...paid in advance.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

well at any rate i did charge right i mean a bunch of calvery units all from diff sides theres not much a way you can screw that up. i would just like to know why there are so many hit points per uint
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

You got the answer:

By the multiple HP solution it is also intended to simulate javelins and arrows just sticking in the shield or causing non-critical wounds hindering the combattant instead of instantly killing him.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

there are other reasons for it as well. It makes the battles more challenging in total (in combination with other settings) and it also expresses degrees of elite-warrior status, since the stats are maxed out to what the engine can use (highest value is 63). Its not easy to explain it shortly.