Thread: Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

Default Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

Tutorial: 'Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only'

As I really don't like the vanilla full-plate captain & general models that much, I've done some research and have found a way to swap them with other models easily. Here we go:

First, look at the captains section in descr_character.txt:

Code:
    faction   u_lorraine
    dictionary  2
    strat_model  northern_captain
    battle_model Northern_Captain
    battle_equip gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    Now we know that the captains on the battle map are mounted or dismounted depending on their unit. But there is only ONE entry for a battle model in descr_character.txt. That means: It must be possible to use the same model for mounted AND dismounted captains somehow.

The critical section is... in the battle_models.modeldb. I hear you cry and moan already... But it's really simple.

Let's look at the end of the section of the Northern_Captain in the battle_models.modeldb:

Code:

7 normans 
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final General_normans_diff.texture 
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final General_normans_norm.texture 0  
    6 saxons 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final General_saxons_diff.texture 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final General_saxons_norm.texture 0  
    4 None 
    15 MTW2_Non_Shield 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    5 horse 
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    8 elephant 
    18 MTW2_Elephant_Crew 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    5 camel 
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    And now the end of the section of Dismounted Feudal Knights (or any other sword & shield foot soldier model):

Code:

12 papal_states 
    65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_papal_states_diff.texture 
    65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_papal_states_norm.texture 0  
    7 hungary 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_diff.texture 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_norm.texture 0  
    4 None 
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    The difference is obvious: The Northern_Captain has animations assigned to him (the bold sections) for dismounted ('none'), horse, elephant & camel, while the Dismounted Feudal Knight has a dismounted animation only.

All we have to do is to assign the missing animations to our would-be captain model (the Dismounted Feudal Knight) as well. Like this:

Code:

12 papal_states 
    65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_papal_states_diff.texture 
    65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_papal_states_norm.texture 0  
    7 hungary 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_diff.texture 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_norm.texture 0  
    4 None 
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0  
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Lance 
    13 MTW2_HR_Sword 2 
    21 MTW2_HR_Lance_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 2 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield
    Note that I've chosen fitting animation sets for a sword & shield armed warrior. Just scan through the animation-sections and you'll find fitting ones for the model of your choice.

Finally, change the battle_model entry in descr_character.txt to the one you have edited. e.g.:

Code:
    faction   u_lorraine
    dictionary  2
    strat_model  northern_captain
    battle_model Dismounted_Feudal_Knights
    battle_equip gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    That's it. No Gimp, no milkshape, nothing. Only simple text editing.

Here's a pic of the final 'product' (It's a Captain of the Duchy of Upper Lorraine).

The procedure is exactly the same for Generals.

Have fun!

Cheers, D.

EDIT:

I've just noticed that this, and much more besides, was already covered in Alletun's 'Unit Makers Tome Of Knowledge'.
    Last edited by Dimitri_Harkov; April 09, 2008 at 10:33 AM.

Retired creator of 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' - Get v. 0.7 here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my homepage.
    --------------------------------------------
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

Default Re: Tutorial: Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

Nice tutorial, Dimitri.

Y_filip's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Tutorial: Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

Great tutorial Dimitri

Now if only you could change the captain/general model when the unit upgraded.

Yes, that would be nice. Or having different models for different eras.

Cheers!

Visit my homepage.
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

As an aside, what do you think is a good model to use for a captain of the Byzantines?

Probably the Byzantine Captain from CBUR (Complete Byzantine Unit Roster). Take a look at their forum in the Medieval II Hosted Modification section.

Cheers,
    D.

Visit my homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_Harkov View Post
    Probably the Byzantine Captain from CBUR (Complete Byzantine Unit Roster). Take a look at their forum in the Medieval II Hosted Modification section.

Cheers,
    D.
    Interesting, I'm not a fan of SS at all but I suppose the model would use the regular captain animations so I don't have to worry about transferring more than the basics (textures, model, weapons, txt entries).

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

Thanks a lot for such necessary tutorial! I find one more way to make custom generals - it's well known already, I think. You only need to add battle_model of your general model into the campain_script, when you spawn him. For mounted unit - mounted model, dismounted for infantry, and that's all you need. The model should belong to general's faction in battlemodels.db, of course.

character John Smith, named character, male, age 42, x 37, y 23, battle_model dismounted_feudal_knights, portrait j_smith

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Default Re: Turning footsoldiers into Captains & Generals with text editing only

I know this is necro-ing an old post - but I am curious how the game picks which head and shield to use on multi part models - does it pick the 1st one every time or randomize every battle?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The battle models have an entry (comment) in these elements that determines the level of probability.

Thank you Gigantus!
    You are a wealth of information.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries