Thread: France? WTF!

Icon4 France? WTF!

What is this? every Censor bypass removed t i m e I play, France keeps steamrolling and ing around. I
    played longer games as Austria and Brandenburg, now England and I thought well, maybe I can build up some huge colonies and avoid conflict with France, maybe eventually even eradicate them.

Okay I admitt I still hold some territories on the continent, calais and bretagne, so it's rather logical france wants them.

But i bet even if they have them, they will try come over and attack me on my mainland!

I just wonder HOW they can have war everytime with everybody, having by far the highest number in soldiers, never get exhausted, always in war, always low stability, fighting all those french principalities, ...

What is this???!!! This drives me mad! They are cheating? They must! I wish I could just form a strong alliance and eradicate them once and for all

Maybe someone has a strategy against them? Keep it low until I have some colonies and manpower, then blockade them and :wub: them? That's the normal way, but my experience tells me, France gets even stronger (proportionally!) by time, later they have a 200,000 men-pool and a permanent standing army 180,000.

Of course still waging war all the time and building infrastructure, having a large navy, etc.

This can't be real, they drive me mad, please!

P.S.: Oh, I'm playing EUIII+NA with latest patch btw, starting 1453.
    Last edited by LoZz; April 08, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: France? WTF!

Strange, in my game France always get strong at beginning, then got box around by all great powers in mid or late period.

I mean, seriously, it is not first time I have seen France got divided by Aragon and Burgundy, despite they own half of Europe.

Anyway, in my current Austria campaign France is my unofficial ally against the evil Muslim.

P.S. French navy is not strong; as my previous play as England I manage to send all my army into French Brazil without meeting any French ships, and in English Channel there is not French navy too.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Strange, in my game France always get strong at beginning, then got box around by all great powers in mid or late period.

I mean, seriously, it is not first time I have seen France got divided by Aragon and Burgundy, despite they own half of Europe.

Anyway, in my current Austria campaign France is my unofficial ally against the evil Muslim.

P.S. French navy is not strong; as my previous play as England I manage to send all my army into French Brazil without meeting any French ships, and in English Channel there is not French navy too.
    yeah that's my hope that my navy will block them at least off England, the colonies. Burgundy also always gets very powerful in my campaigns! Together they are damn powerful, and if France takes over Burgundy, then they are even unstopable.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwertmeister View Post
    yeah that's my hope that my navy will block them at least off England, the colonies. Burgundy also always gets very powerful in my campaigns! Together they are damn powerful, and if France takes over Burgundy, then they are even unstopable.
    Navy?? I don't even need a navy to defend English Channel. French navy basically is non-exist in my game.

Seriously, Portugee navy gives me more headache than French navy!!

Also, I never see a long peace between Burgundy and France, so don't worry (and never see peace between Aragon and France).

Quote Originally Posted by Schwertmeister View Post
    What is this? E v e r y f u c k i n g t i m e I play, France keeps steamrolling and ing around. I
    played longer games as Austria and Brandenburg, now England and I thought well, maybe I can build up some huge colonies and avoid conflict with France, maybe eventually even eradicate them.

Okay I admitt I still hold some territories on the continent, calais and bretagne, so it's rather logical france wants them.

But i bet even if they have them, they will try come over and attack me on my mainland!
    Well I don't have NA but it's doubtful. The reason France is ****ing with you is that they have cores on those territories you own. The computer will always try to take territories it has core on.

It doesn't have core on, say, Wessex, so if you pulled off the continent it's far less likely they'd mess with you.

I just wonder HOW they can have war everytime with everybody, having by far the highest number in soldiers, never get exhausted, always in war, always low stability, fighting all those french principalities, ...
    Because they're FRANCE. They're the most powerful country in the game by far. Check out their provinces sometime. Ile-de-France has roughly the same manpower as all of Sweden. Orleans isn't far behind. Then there's the fact that all their provinces are rich...

Plus all those territories they're taking are French culture group, so they're less likely to revolt.

What is this???!!! This drives me mad! They are cheating?
    Nope. They're just French.

They must! I wish I could just form a strong alliance and eradicate them once and for all

Maybe someone has a strategy against them? Keep it low until I have some colonies and manpower, then blockade them and :wub: them? That's the normal way, but my experience tells me, France gets even stronger (proportionally!) by time, later they have a 200,000 men-pool and a permanent standing army 180,000.

Of course still waging war all the time and building infrastructure, having a large navy, etc.

This can't be real, they drive me mad, please!

P.S.: Oh, I'm playing EUIII+NA with latest patch btw, starting 1453.
    France is best handled in the mid to late game, after you're better than them. Try to keep them from colonizing too much and just play containment. If they go to war with Austria or Burgundy or something you can try paying war subsidies to them. Hopefully Burgundy will check their eastward expansion. Later on when you have better tech and more money you can take them out. France has huge manpower so a slugfest is tough.

Actually, I think France is pure bully... Core provinces is just an excuse for them to start a war...

I mean, I don't remember they have core in Russia...

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

In my game as Korea, Austria and Castille are the ones rapidly expanding. Austria is doing so in Europe, and Castille in Northern Africa and Northern America.

France actually looks like it has been on the losing side of wars with Burgundy. Yes, the Ottoman Empire is gone, Austria annexed their last province.
    Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; April 10, 2008 at 03:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

France, particularly if Burgundy are out of the picture are incredible dangerous.

I had to face over 60,000 as they poured over the Pyrenees in my Spanish campaign.

Best luck in the world though, Austria took advantage of their vulnerable border.

Saved my ass.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

In all of my games, France is always the number one, or number two nation, and if I'm lucky, they are just number three....

I guess this is historically accurate....

Really?? Then I guess French in my game is women...

Even I can knock out France with 20k men, but that only happen after 1700s...

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah, it annoys the hell of out me too. Wanted to continue the Hundred Years' War but England is in a hopeless position.

Nevermind though.. we get our own back in Vicky.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

Not really, I have actually seen England AI got White Peace for Hundred Years War before...

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Getting a white peace is one thing, taking land off them is another..
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

As England, I also could make a white peace in the beginning, but they will attack you on and on, which resulted in giving them one more province for every peace treaty to come, until I lost all my continental provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward III View Post
    Getting a white peace is one thing, taking land off them is another..
    Then whay do you expect?? England is weak!!!! White Peace is the best a player should hope!!!

Anyway, thanks to France, Scotland love to attack England in any mean way one to two years after the game start, which make the Unification of Great Britain very easy to appear before 1500.

After that, wait until 1700s and streamroll France.

By the way, I kidnly figure out why everyone love to box France; it seem that France has the hobbit to declare war against a friendly strong nation (in my current case is Asutria, which France declared war on me with a 200 relationship), got a very bad reputation and result a total war against everyone (in my current case, the war between France and me results every Muslim factions + Lithuinia + Castile + Savoy to DoW on France). Mostly it results defeat on France and obviously, decline of French power.