Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Default Campaign Map

Map Preview
    Here you are.
    For now all the names are shown in Hungarian. I'll translate them right before the release.
    Province owners will change especially in Asia Minor. But the number of the provinces seems to be enough. There are 146 of them. Maybe I will remove Acre because there are too many provinces there and Tripoli seems more important.

Even more maps:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Csatádi; December 26, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Map Preview

Absolutely amazing map!!! Hungary and its surrounding regions look absolutely beautidul, It truly gives justice to the country.
    You should be proud of this work.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

I suggest to remove Kolobrzeg and make Szczecin the capital of West Pomerania. Elblag is not the best candidate for Prussian capital - I suggest Tuwangste or Konigsberg. Also Gdańsk as the largest baltic port should be in - so I suggest creating separate province East Pomerania/Kashubia.

Also correct names are:
    for Silesian capital: Wrocław (unless it's late campaign, then Breslau)
    for Lesser Poland: Kraków
    for Greater Poland: Poznań
    for Mazovia: Płock

Also there are to many forests in Poland, it should be less forested then Scandinavia or Russia. Remember, that Poland specialized in cavalry, while cavalry usage in forests is very limited, so making Poland so forested is against logic and historical accuracy.
    Last edited by Silesian_Noble; April 11, 2008 at 03:26 AM.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Thanks for the info. I'm not planning more provinces.
    In the English version Wroclaw is Wroclaw. As I wrote I will translate these only before the release.
    OK, I'll cut some trees. Could you send me maps to the job? It is not visible but I set mixed forests with deciduous and pine trees.

If you give me more datas (resources, family tree etc.) I can change them, too.
    Last edited by Csatádi; April 13, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

This is map of early medieval Poland with its major provinces (that grabbed huge autonomy after partition in 1138):

1. West Pomerania; capital in Szczecin.
    2. East Pomerania, or more suitable - Kaszuby; capital in Gdańsk
    3. Greater Poland; capital in Poznań
    4. Silesia; capital in Wrocław
    5. Lesser Poland - the senioral province; capital in Kraków
    6. Sandomir Land; capital in Sandomierz
    7. Mazovia; capital in Płock

The least important province was Sandomir Land, which almost always was under control of the ruler of another province, so this one may be sacrificed (joined to lesser Poland) without major lost for historical accuracy. But others provinces are crucial when aiming in reliable presentation of Kingdom of Poland.

Also, if Kievian Russ is separate faction, then there should be represented Grody Czerwieńskie province (capital in Przemyśl), which was an area of constant conflict between Poland and Kiev.

Localization of Grody Czerwieńskie (on the east, circled with black line).

Polish economy in XIII-XIVc:

Comment: in general Silesia and Lesser Poland should be incredible rich in natural resources. Notice especially gold and silver deposits in Silesia and silver, salt and iron ore in Lesser Poland. Also Kraków, Poznań, Gdańsk and Wrocław were huge centers of craftsmen and merchants. Mazovia with Plock was undeveloped province with huge population (Mazovians colonized Russian-Lithuanian-Prussian neighborhood) and good agriculture conditions. In general all Poland was covered with grain fields.

Here is a map that present german colonist (blue) in central Europe. But it is also a good resource with forests placement (I circled them with green on some Polish territory)– as you can see there wasn’t so much forests in medieval Poland. There were huge areas of forests in Carpathia and in Pomerania, but Poland itself was pretty much developed with small isles of dense forests.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Thanks!
    Sorry, I will not change the province numbers. I aimed 140-150 provinces.
    I will change the province borders using your map however.
    So Gdansk or Szczecin for Pomerania? I haven't seen any big differencies between them in wiki. The cities shouldn't be too close to each other so Szczecin would be better.

I'll add iron to Silezia (silver is there already). Salt is found near Kraków already.
    What about the amber in vanilla maps?
    And grain to Mazovia.
    The glasswork is also interesting but I suppose it wasn't European significance.
    I put glass only to Venice in Europe.

What is the difference between the two blue colors related to German colonists?

You should definitely place gold deposits in Silesia – Henryks Princes made one of the most valuable in XIIIc and XIVc in Europe coins from it.

When the game starts, Szczecin with circa 10k was definitely larger then Gdansk. But later Gdańsk gained supremacy in Baltic Sea. The choice is really hard; the best solution would be placing both. Gdańsk and in general eastern Pomerania (called Kasshubia) was Polish, Szczecin was separate duchy dependent from HRE (but with own non German prince family). Presenting Stettin and Gdansk as one province make sense for only first circa 30 years, for the rest medieval period they were separated with different rulers, influences etc.

There are three colors that indicates German migration on eastern lands, each of them represents different time frame.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Here's the final Polish map. I know you don't like it yet but Kolobrzeg won his position because of gameplay reasons. Tuwangste and Gdansk would be too close to each other. You may be upset I used this method even in the case of Hungary. And I concentrated to the early period.
    Area of Stettin is part of Germany on the map but the province borders are not visible well.

I also changed the royal family. There is only one family member general now so I created an old named character called Tadeusz.

Last edited by Csatádi; April 16, 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Very nice maps.
    Keep it up!

Retired creator of 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' - Get v. 0.7 here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my homepage.
    --------------------------------------------
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

Why there are hungaian name for Polish cities Wrocław and Kraków?

Csatadi's preview was of the mod in a Hungarian version of M2TW, he hasn't translated the names yet but they will all be translated when he releases the mod.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Here you can see the Turkish factions set-up.
    The western part of the Seljuk Empire is the Sultanate of Rum the rest of the Turkish territories are smaller emirates. This is the final Turkish map I'll change it only if I get very detailed and good tips.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Very Nice!

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Roman Empire - Balkan

The western parts are the provinces the rebellious Bryennios has. Currently Raska (Serbia) is rebel but as I know their rebellion was crushed before 1080. So possibly this province will be Roman, too.
    The Greeks also have Sinope and Trapezunt (they were shown as rebels on the Turk map).

Hunnis's Avatar Semisalis

Do you no what you guys should do, get rid of america in the camping then you will have more regions to add in Europe/middeleast/Northafrica, and you guys will be abel to add a new faction, i hav eunderstand that there not mutch pepole who like to go to America but this will be hard to fix i think.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

There are a lot of unused slots for provinces. But I think this is enough.
    Otherwise I would use Scytha's map. It has about 180 regions.

Otsman's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Map Preview to the upcoming version

wow, that is a very nice looking map

+rep

Oh yes... It is.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Forums are too slow to communicate thus we, the developers, use chat and net phone.

have faith!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast