Thread: Short Pike or Long Pike?

Default Short Pike or Long Pike?

When you give a unit phalanxe, it seems you can also give it long pikes or short pikes. Could someone please explain what the differences are, or if their are any other choices. All input is appreciated.

I'm also sorry if this is a modding question, but it seems more like general stuff to me.

Decanus

Default Re: Short Pike or Long Pike?

In general long pikes have less armour and are actually proper pikeman units. Whereas the short ones seem to be hoplites rather than pikemen. So it depends on what you want to mimmick in historical sence.

Also short pikes always have smaller units and better armour than pikemen do when it comes to vanilla rome...

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Short Pikes (i.e. Sacred Band Spearmen, Armoured Hoplites) are far superior to Long Pikes (i.e. Royal Pikemen, Silver Shield Pikemen, Bronze Shields, etc).
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; April 06, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Short pikes have spears that are 3-4 meters long. Long pikes have sarissas that are around 6 meters long. Anything else such as armor values are just what the game makes of it and is not affected by short pike/long pike values. In a head-on match with units of equal strength, the longer pikes will win just because they can actually hit their opponents from a longer distance.

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR
    (Postponed Indefinitely. Too busy to write)

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Different for different situations. Because the long pikes have longer spears, they are even harder to maneuver than the small pikes.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon View Post
    Short pikes have spears that are 3-4 meters long. Long pikes have sarissas that are around 6 meters long. Anything else such as armor values are just what the game makes of it and is not affected by short pike/long pike values. In a head-on match with units of equal strength, the longer pikes will win just because they can actually hit their opponents from a longer distance.
    In R:TW (vanilla), the shorter pike units (like Armoured Hoplites and Sacred Band spearmen) will absolutely destroy any of the longer pike units. Having a longer pike means nothing for the cream of the crop units unless they're fighting against crap units like Hoplites, Militia Hoplites, etc.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Agree with Prince. Hoplite units are more powerful then pikes and it is possible to break pikemen line with hoplites. Also, I think pikemen advantage lies in numbers not in longler spears.

I find that whichever unit is attacking will always lose. Pikemen will lose to defending hoplites and vice versa.

QRS, I see a lot of posts by you, and I know this is what new forumers usually do to get their post count up, but please don't restart threads that have been dead for months like this one.

Well , what if he doesn't know that. I mean if he is in fact lazy enough not to look up the subject( no offense mind you) then why not post? If it has been posted before someone give him a link.
    We will find a way, or we will make one
    - Hannibal Barca

Yes, but in all those men there, not one is named Gisco
    - Hannibal Barca

[center][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/URL

Primicerius

He's done the same in at least two other threads. Obviously looking for post count....

Yes like I said. I never thought it was that much of a bother to take a look at the date of the last post...

I see your point now about his post, sorry bout that, I thought you were talking about the original poster until I saw QRS
    We will find a way, or we will make one
    - Hannibal Barca

Yes, but in all those men there, not one is named Gisco
    - Hannibal Barca

[center][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/URL

General Decius's Avatar Libertus

Like Already said the norm is (Longer pikes=bigger numbers/less armour)(Shorter=Less numbers better armour) Longer Pikes < Shorter Pikes
    I LIVE IN THE CITY OF CHAMPIONS PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA

short pikes r hoplites, longs are pikes. pikemen have less armor but have longer spears, holites have more armor but shorter spears. its a matter of preference in my opinion.

im curious as to whether it is the mechanics behind the long pike that makes it weak or just the lack of armor.