Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just downloaded this...

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default I just downloaded this...

And I'm lost. I have no idea what to do or what the point is. All I've done is a bit of arena combat. Even in open ended games like TES you have some sense of direction.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Default Re: I just downloaded this...

Yes, it's quite open ended

I suggest you talk to Constable Hareck on the stairs in Zendar.
    He will give you a mission to hunt down river pirates. They spawn at
    the delta to the north by the sea. You wil be given some money for each
    party of river pirates you kill.
    Soldiers for your party can be hired at taverns in the towns or by recruiting
    from the villages, if the option is there.

At some point you can ask a king to become his vassal but first after you have about 160 renown
    (check the 'reports' and see your character stats).
    That means you will join the war - if that faction is at war with another faction
    - and can now attack other enemy parties and towns and castles.
    You can be given the towns or castles that you conquer by your king.

All in all you should talk to people and remember: The game is very realistic and combat is hard once you learn the controls.
    Try some quick battles perhaps...
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Follow Adorno's advise, but I will say that M&B ain't no linear RPG so for some of us who were used to the old school linear auto attack hack n' slash RPG out there it takes a bit of adjusting to. But once you do it will flow!

Well, I'm currently wandering around doing Arena fighting trying to save up to buy a better set of armor than the starting set. I've bought a mail Hauberk, a one handed sword, some mail boots, and I'm saving to buy a helm, gloves, and a new shield. I've also recruited a few party members from villages. I haven't encountered any actual combat however.

Well the arena is a very good way to level up with out hunting down river pirates and risking your troops or your items from getting stolen. Although hunting river pirates tends to be a little more fun after so many fights in the arena

Quote Originally Posted by icydawgfish View Post
    Well, I'm currently wandering around doing Arena fighting trying to save up to buy a better set of armor than the starting set. I've bought a mail Hauberk, a one handed sword, some mail boots, and I'm saving to buy a helm, gloves, and a new shield. I've also recruited a few party members from villages. I haven't encountered any actual combat however.
    You are on the right track. You could try and find some bandits/river pirates
    and let your men fight them. They will level up that way.
    I also expect you are moving quite slow on the campaign map. Perhaps speed of 4.5-4.8.
    That can be changed by investing experience in pathfinding. To better catch enemies.
    In the taverns at towns you can be lucky to find NPC's to follow you.
    Their party skills will be of good use (they're called Marnid, Borcha, Ymira and Rolf).
    You might also have fun doing quests for the lords or guild masters found in towns (take a walk around town).

Don't you enjoy the intuitive fighting system so far...
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

I have one problem though. In all the arenas I've been to except the town right by where you start, I am unable to leave after a match. There is no door, just an area where it gets darker so I'm forced to quit and reload.

Just hit tab after the match it'll take you to the city menu.

Surprisingly many people have that TAB problem.
    Perhaps that little detail should be described in the instruction screen
    that pops up the first time you click on the campaign map in a new game...

You might want to look at the controls, as there are many keys functions,
    such as the 1-6 (?) and F1-F11 commands. The game is nothing without tactics

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

Not to forget backspace, it lets you give direction of the various unit types. Until I found the backspace I had to halt my infantry and archer, tell cavalry to follow me, move them to behind the enemy, swiftly charge back my self, through the enemy and into my own lines, dismount, tell my infantry to march 10 paces 10 times (a more controlled charge). Once engaged, cavalry charge.
    With backspace, you can rather just hit the key, tell the cavalry where to go while you have inf and archers follow you, if that is what you prefer...
    It's redundant to write your username at the end of your post,
    if I wanted to see your name I'd look to the left of my screen.

Also, when you do start fighting in a war... Putting some extra horses in your inventory will help you move faster if you have items such as loot that is heavy. And having horse units such as caravan masters as prisoners will also help u move faster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RTWfreak132 View Post
    Also, when you do start fighting in a war...
    When you join a faction (at war with another faction).
    You can join a faction when you have about 160 renown.
    And renown is obtained by fighting battles and doing missions.

I would even call it 'no-ended'

There isn't really anything youre supposed to do. Just join a faction and start hacking away

good infos guys, I learned a few things lol... 'tab' who would have ever thought of that!?

Snizel's Avatar Semisalis

I just downloaded this game cause i read about it on the SS forums.

IT IS GREAT!!! No, wait its F&*%ING AWESOME.

The ppl who made this game really know what they are doing. If the creators got enough money and more staff they could develop it further and make it one of the best rpg's ever, I would pay top dollar for this game if it was in stores as a finished product. I mean the combat in this game is astounding, i can't get over it. I'm buying a cd key for sure!!
    I saw, I bought, I played

Domesticus

When i first played it...i was like wtf...what do i do in this map thingy...walk around aimlessly...but once i got used to it...its awesome!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

They evolved a long way haven't they. I remember the days where you only had swadians and veagirs and you constantly had to be carefull not to run into dark knights. The days when it was only Armagan and Ipek working on the game, If I'm not mistaken they actually recruited some of the forum mebers in their little company (IF I am not mistaken)

I believe Winter the guy behind story mod works for them, I saw a post of his on MBX saying he can't work on storymod part 2 untill M&B goes gold because he had M&B work.

On the official forums there's a version 0.2XX out in wich you can see what kind of improvement they made.

An important hint for the thread starter.

Don't besiege unless you have plenty men, and don't mind seeing them die. I think sieging is the hardest thing to do in this game

I'd like to know more about the company I mean I've poked around taleworlds now and then. It would be cool to see a picture of them or their offices.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

somewhere in the taleworlds forum is apicture of Armagan and Ipek

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p....html#msg26310 scroll down till you see a post by Armagan

Reply #71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast