Thread: Vienna, more than Sauerkraut

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Default Vienna, more than Sauerkraut

First part
    ________

Well sorry in advance for the not so exciting photos, but most of the bunch I took are partey pictures it's truee, which I don't think you'd enjoy as much.

Anyways.
    I went to Vienna some weeks ago with my class to explore, enjoy and get seriously wasted.
    We took the train from Jutland to Copenhagen and flew directly to Vienna airport with Austrian Air Lines. From the airport we took a train to the city centre.
    We were living at this 2 star hotel just outside of the Ring. Which is short form of Ringstrasse which surrounds the city centre.

So we arrived Sunday afternoon and spent the rest of the day getting unpacked and sleeping. Well some of the guys went out and came home very late (one of them had been so pissed that he couldn't move the next morning!).
    Monday morning we got up and ate the most horrible breakfast I've ever had.
    Yes worse than Italian breakfast, and that says a lot. Basically just some dry paper bread and some stiffy jam, and some hot water to swallow.

We set out for a trip around the city. First we arrived at the City Hall, an amazing structure, sadly we couldn't get in. Not that we had the time anyways...

City hall

After that we managed to reach the parliament. A colossal building in neoclassical style. Corinthian pillars et all.
    It was simply so beautiful. One of my classmates said something very true at that moment.

Why does so ugly people need sooo beautiful buildings?
    Obviously to compensate for something.. was the answer.

Seriously, not to berate the Austrians (because frankly they are some very, very nice folks, the elderly are a bit racist though, but hey it's the same up here) but my allah, their girls are nothing compared to Scandinavian chicks. Just a warning there for ya.

Another shot of the parliament

From the parliament we walked across the Burgring (I think it was the Burgring, I'm not sure..) to the plaza where Hitler spoke just after the Anschluss. The plaza is really, really big and when you imagine the amount of people present back then.. it make you feel somewhat insignificant in comparison.
    All we did after that was walk around and look at attractions and had lunch in an awesome Italian restaurant. I suddenly became very much needed because I speak/read a little Italian and all the menus were in Italian!
    Even though the waiters spoke perfectly German, none of them wanted to actually tell us what the darned meals consisted of

Hmm we strolled around a bit and saw the Stephansdom(cathedral) an impressive piece of Gothic architecture.

We ended the official day with a trip to Naschmarkt. Naschmarkt is an open market with several "ethnic" shops. To tell you the truth they all just sell feta, fruit and vegetables and shout after you. But it's a cool place.

End of part one!
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Default Re: Vienna, more than Sauerkraut

Well I'm away from my own pc + the connection here is a bit shady so I can't update.. but if noone is actually reading this I'll just ditch it.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    but if noone is actually reading this I'll just ditch it.
    No, no, post more Brings back memories, I was in Vienna in '91, all I remember is the Cathedral, some huge castle and the subway (or was it tram? Or both?).
    Has signatures turned off.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Looks cool. Give us some pics of the Cathedrals and medieval buildings if you come across any good ones.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I am more interesting about your claim of ugliness of Austrian girls...

I mean, I just cannot image a country in the middle of Italy, Germany, France and Balkan would have ugly chicks...

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

It's due to Italy, you know.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

There are 3 cities in Europe that I am dying to go to: Milan, Prague, and Vienna. Beautiful pics.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews