Thread: Campaign strategy question

Deathbypepsi's Avatar Foederatus

Default Campaign strategy question

Im playing a thracian campaign, and i migrated all the way to spain. I have just conquered all of it and im asking for a new direction. Im allied to all the romans, but the scipii havn't even taken all sicily yet. The brutii are pretty much trundling along slowly in greece (Thermon was the last place they took) But the Julii have exploded! they're already knocking at the door of germania and giving gaul a thrashing. Im at war with gaul (they blockaded me) but i want them to last as long as possible to keep the romans away. Therefore, should i attack gaul? should i launch a full scale attack on italy? should i take africa and fight carthage (they give me lots of trade money though). or should i adopt a different strategy and go somewhere else?
    "What? In Mercia? the coconut is tropical!"
    Editor of the Athenian chronicle- a respectable newspaper based on ROP v2.2

Default Re: Campaign strategy question

What I would do, is just give the Gauls as much cash as you can spare, and then strike down Rome (Mainland Italy, what they start with.) as fast as you can (a few turns) and then just mop up. That will but you solidly ahead, but will force you to go down the conquerer route, so if you want to play it slow, that won't work.

Deathbypepsi's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks, thats what i was thinking of doing, though i cant really spare cash for the gauls but if i can take out the romans quickly from behind then it'll probably work. after that i think i'll go for carthage...
    "What? In Mercia? the coconut is tropical!"
    Editor of the Athenian chronicle- a respectable newspaper based on ROP v2.2

Cool. It will be hard to take down the Romans, but when you get Rome itself, I think it will get easier.

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

i would take the romans out so u wont have such an exposed flank to a civ that thrives on conquest. also keep england open for attack/defense so that u wont get any unexpected naval guests. use ghaul and germania as buffers if possible.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

I'll move this to the tactical sub-forum known as "Battle Planning."
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

If you take out Rome, you are taking away the pain that is a full Roman stack at every turn.

yeah, hit them in Italie..

they are making a lot of money there, and if u take it, and kick them away it will be a pain in their cash flow.

I think u should try to make the city's ready for war who are near to the romans when they destroyed the gaul. So that if they attack u there, u wont lose 3 or more citiy's to them simply by having no garrison..

goodluck and kick ass

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I would go for Rome as well. If you could, try take out the bigger one (Julii) first, cos then the others will be easy.

P.S. Why did you 'migrate' to Iberia?

Miles

I'm not sure about going for Rome in your position. You didn't mention Macedon, but you must have them to worry about, plus the Scythian noble archers eventually in the north - but most of all, you are going to have a big economic problem once the Brutii take Greece and the Julii dominate Germany. Then you will have massive waves of Red Romans coming at you from the north and Green Romans coming at you from the south. Seems to me what you want to do is connect your far-flung empire by sea. Can you take Rhodes? As well as other islands, and part of Sicily? Rather than go for Italy and start a new war, why not gather up all the periphery you can first, and once war starts hit Greece (belonging to the Brutii by then) hard and fast to take the Zeus wonder and cash in on the great trade of those rich cities. At this point, I doubt you can hold the north without a good cash flow in the south. Since you are at war with Gaul now, just inch forward and take the coastal cities and leave the buffer you want. Dominate the sea and Italy will eventually be at your mercy.

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

I suggest you send multiple armies to Rome, then take the rest of Italy - this will boost your trade, helping you to become independent of the wretched carthaginians, give you the romans' great infrastructure and weaken their power base a LOT.
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

ive never played thrace. do they horde? if so, then stay in spain. thats a perfect starting point 4 eastward expansion. stay allied w/ rome till uve coquered europe. then ally w/ scythia and kill rome. waaay down the road when u attack the east, stay allied w/ scythia and ally also w/ parthia if possible. kill everybody else, then kill scythia and parthia. just my opinion
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII