Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding The Campaign Map

Default Expanding The Campaign Map

How to expand the campaign map in any direction (using vanilla or any other mod)

okay what you will need: Photoshop (or any other advanced image editing software capable of handling .tga files) and a fresh backup of your world folder i would recommend using GrnEyedDvl barebones folder

step (1)

decide on which direction you would like to extend your map for this tutorial we are going to extend the map to the east as this is the crusader campaign

note:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

there are some hardcoded limits you will need to take into consideration these are:

map_regions: 510x510 pixels
    map_climates: 1021x1021 pixels
    map_heights: 1021x1021 pixels
    map_ground_types: 1021x1021 pixels
    map_roughness: 1020x1020 pixels
    map_features: 510x510 pixels
    map_trade_routes: 510x510 pixels

okay first things first open your world folder and navigate to the base folder now open descr_terrain.txt NOW DO IT!

change the width value to 250 and write them down you will need them later.

dimensions
    {
    width 250
    height 151
    }
    save and close that file

step (2)
    now open map_heights.tga select canvas size from the image tool bar

a panel like this should appear (see below)

select the arrow pointing east and change inches to pixels then select canvas extension color because we are in map_heights.tga we will use gray scale color values so i will use R.B.G 29,29,29 this seems to suit this campaign height well now save the file.

note:

for some files you may need to remove the read-only property this can be done by right clicking the file >> properties un-check read-only box.

step (3)

now with you map_heights complete you will need to repeat step (2) with map_climates, map_ground_types, map_roughness(see note), map_fog

all this files will need to be double in (pixes +1) so for a dimensions 510 with the above files will need widths of 1021 pixels apart from map_roughness where it would be pixels-1

note:

heres what the map_roughness.tga should look like
    note the pixel size

step (4) the remaining files are map_regions, map_features, map_trade_route these are the smaller files and the width in canvas height will just need to be the dimensions you set in descr_terrain.txt you did write them down

open map_regions because there is more land in the east it must be filled with a current region color (see below)

you should have this:

now you will need to repeat this process with map_features, map_trade_route other files like water_surface and map_FE you don't need to touch.

now another important step, you must delete map.rwp and map_heights.hgt or the game will not load your map.

your game should look like this:

now you have more space in the east to add more provinces

other errors:

I had this error in my log:
    all i did where delete the entry at that line for me it where a port this happened because the map alinement's changes very annoying

18:37:29.843 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/crusades/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 660, column 5
    could not create settlement at script line 660.

so just delete the line and delete map.rwp again restart the campaign

any questions or comments just ask or PM me.

Have fun

Last edited by J@mes; April 02, 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Default Re: Tutorial: Expanding The Campaign Map

Could you give some more details about that last bit? I had this problem and I could never figure out what was wrong.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator_Maximus View Post
    Could you give some more details about that last bit? I had this problem and I could never figure out what was wrong.
    sure normally the error is caused from the province ports in dersc_strat all you need to do is find the line number in your log and delete that building its normally a port.

its best to use
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error

in your preference file
    Last edited by J@mes; April 02, 2008 at 03:41 PM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

This should be pretty useful for beginners, good job

If I may be so bold as to propose two additions: Firstly, you might want to add some information about editing the water_surface pic so that the water will get lighter as you get nearer to the shore, and secondly a small walkthrough about editing the radar_map so that it fits the new features would be ace. If you don't feel like doing it, it's probably something people could figure out by themselves but I thought I'd mention it for completeness' sake

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    This should be pretty useful for beginners, good job

If I may be so bold as to propose two additions: Firstly, you might want to add some information about editing the water_surface pic so that the water will get lighter as you get nearer to the shore, and secondly a small walkthrough about editing the radar_map so that it fits the new features would be ace. If you don't feel like doing it, it's probably something people could figure out by themselves but I thought I'd mention it for completeness' sake
    Thank you alpaca you would not believe the amount of people i had explan this to so i decided just to write the tutorial, I will get on top of the additional information you mentioned

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
    Thank you alpaca you would not believe the amount of people i had explan this to so i decided just to write the tutorial, I will get on top of the additional information you mentioned
    Yes it seems to be something that a lot of newbies try to start with so it's very good that you wrote a tutorial about it

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

I noticed that on your thing you the error had an issue with the line with the port. But on my thing it has an issue with the entire settlement (the error log says its on the same line that says region London_Province.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

I noticed that on your thing you the error had an issue with the line with the port. But on my thing it has an issue with the entire settlement (the error log says its on the same line that says region London_Province.
    can you give us the error from your log? and the line form the dersc_strat as i believe is will be a port or farm land.
    Last edited by J@mes; April 02, 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Ok here is the log.

16:13:35.406 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:13:35.406 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:13:35.421 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    16:13:49.218 [data.invalid] [error] File 'modtesterB/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 821, 379
    16:13:49.218 [data.invalid] [error] File 'modtesterB/data/world/maps/base/map_roughness.tga' must have dimensions 820, 378
    16:13:49.218 [data.invalid] [error] File 'modtesterB/data/world/maps/base/map_climates.tga' must have dimensions 821, 379
    16:13:49.250 [data.invalid] [error] File 'modtesterB/data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga' must have dimensions 410, 189
    16:13:50.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in modtesterB/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 66, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 66.

And this would be line 66.

region London_Province

ok delete all from london_province so it looks like this

settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region London_Province

year_founded 0
    population 3800
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_wall
    }
    }

then delete your map.rwp and restart campaign.

Same error. I will admit I had jumped ahead of myself and had created everything for the new map before I tested. I think I will start from scratch and go step by step.

Same error. I will admit I had jumped ahead of myself and had created everything for the new map before I tested. I think I will start from scratch and go step by step.
    small steps are best if your still having problems you can PM me i'm always willing to help.
    Last edited by J@mes; April 18, 2008 at 04:56 AM.

Nice tutorial! this will help us neebies to mapping
    rep him guys!

are you going to update this tutorial with how to create new islands? i think like me alot of users would also find that usefull.

EDIT: also how to edit the map_features.

Y_filip's Avatar Tiro

Thanks you have mede very very good tutorial
    can you add the tutorial to add map_feature (how to make the river)

Quote Originally Posted by krycek View Post
    are you going to update this tutorial with how to create new islands? i think like me alot of users would also find that usefull.

EDIT: also how to edit the map_features.
    islands can be easy added, same process, but in map_regions.tga the island must be connect with mainland,or this ill ctd (of course in campaign map this ill not show connected to mainland)...just a tip
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    islands can be easy added, same process, but in map_regions.tga the island must be connect with mainland,or this ill ctd (of course in campaign map this ill not show connected to mainland)...just a tip

Thanks it would be nice to have a detailed tutorial on this, us noobs need guidance ,

@J@mes any chance of a tutorial for that too?
    adding new islands, rivers and bridges etc.
    Last edited by krycek; April 04, 2008 at 11:52 AM.

where are the other tutorials?

Hey,

I am using the default demensions from SS 5.1 and they are somewhat bigger than the values you are using : W: 370 - H: 249.

So should i just add your values ontop of my current ones, taking into account of the maximum demensions ?

Sorry if this a lame question, but this is very new to me.

Btw thanks for the cool tutorial.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    Hey,

I am using the default demensions from SS 5.1 and they are somewhat bigger than the values you are using : W: 370 - H: 249.

So should i just add your values ontop of my current ones, taking into account of the maximum demensions ?

Sorry if this a lame question, but this is very new to me.

Btw thanks for the cool tutorial.
    yes you can just add the values on top taking the into account of the hardcoded limits 1021, 1021 and the smaller files 510,510

if you have any problems just post back here.

goodluck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast