Thread: Going to Paris

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Default Going to Paris

hey lads,
    I'm going on a 4-day (I'll hope it were 4days) trip to Paris and though I'll know the most famous places, there should be many places where you must have been in Paris.
    So ? Does anyone know a not-so-well-known place in Paris that's worthy to bear the "must have seen"-label ?

Nutsack's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Going to Paris

I went to Paris for 4 days as well. I had enough time to see just about all of the tourist sites in the city, as well as being on the top floor of the Eiffel tower looking down creeped me out. 4 days is just about enough, if you plan on do some heavy walking and a lot of subway traveling. The city has a "law" or "rule" that disallows skyscrapers, so the city is very large and takes a lot of walking and riding to get through. I accidentally took the wrong subway and entered a part of the city that had skyscrapers though, so I guess that doesn't cover the entire metropolitan area.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

ive been to paris about 4 times over the last 10 years and the best bit of advice i can offer is to be very careful around the roads. drivers in paris are nutters!! i think in france there is no such thing as "Pedestrian right of way". so just be careful when crossing the roads.

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

Been to Paris once for about a week, great city, nice people, good restaurants, had a great time. One must-do in Paris is when your going out in the evening to visit the popular squares with the restaurants and such be sure to watch the artists. We used to go out for diner every night and we always saw street artists dancing/stunting on the squares, it's really great to see this. What's also very worth watching is the Arènes de Lutèce, it's an ancient Roman Amphitheatre. I don't know if it a really well known place but when I was there there was nobody there, there where only some old Parisians playing Pétanque.

My only advice for going to Paris is to set plenty of time aside for The Louvre. There is so much more to it than the Mona Lisa. Whether a fan of Rome or Medieval history there is so much at the museum to lose youself in.

thanks for the usefull info, I'll try to post the pics in the right thread !

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    i think in france there is no such thing as "Pedestrian right of way". so just be careful when crossing the roads.
    Definitely some of the craziest highway driving Ive ever seen.

As far as yielding to the pedestrian, I haven been to a big city in Europe that does that well. Rome is absurd in this regard, unless your a nun. By far the most difficult streets to cross with their ten lanes of traffic. Most of Italy is like that.

Amsterdam can be dangerous.

The first time I traveled around the UK I found it difficult. I was always looking the wrong direction when crossing.

My advice for travel in Paris is simple, walk as much as you can. Best walking city in the world. You stumble on markets and stairways that go to nowhere, little out of the way parks, its really incredible.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Do not miss the Quartier Latin, Montmartre and the XIIIe arrondissement.

If you're anglophone, try to speak some French. Or, at least, begin your English phrases with this prelude:

"Pardonnez moi, je suis un touriste hollandaise et je ne parle pas français. Comprenez-vous l'anglais?"

The French tend to be very touchy when it comes to language, specially the Parisians.

EDIT: I hope you haven't travelled already... ;P
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

errr... I went to Paris last weekend, and I speak French.
    (every Fleming has to learn French from 11/12 years old 'till 18, except some schools.)

BUT: Thanks, I visited them and those places were worth visiting !