Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Defeating the Scythians

Default Re: How to beat Scytthians?

rogergargantua, see also this thread.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155487

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Thanks, Magister Equitum! Seems a lot of different strategies can be employed.

I was wondering, I am quite underestimating the power of slingers.....are they really that powerful against cavalry? How do you guys employ em so they are most-effective?

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Slingers are great especially against armored cavalry because of their AP attack. There are several options, but they all include spearmen behind the slingers. I usually disable the skirmish mode and concentrate the fire of my 2 slinger units at one enemy. within seconds the work is done. The slingers are not that great against HA's because of their low defence. When you get the reforms, concentrate on archer auxilia. Use mass fire against one unit and then move to the next one

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Quote Originally Posted by rogergargantua View Post
    Thanks, Magister Equitum! Seems a lot of different strategies can be employed.

I was wondering, I am quite underestimating the power of slingers.....are they really that powerful against cavalry? How do you guys employ em so they are most-effective?
    You can order them to run behind enemy lines and shoot in the flank or rear of pinned enemy units. In groups of 3-4 (placed in center or a flank) they can kill entire units in a few volleys. They are particulalry good at killing phalanx units or anything that moves slowly (uphill, for instance).

Downside is that they die very fast in mellee and they are very vulnerable to missiles (they have almost no armour). Lastly, do not rely too much on the skirmish mode, you still have to keep an eye on them.

Edited 1: Haven't seen the Kara's post, probably we were typing at the same time. That's a quality advice, btw.
    Edited 2: Kara is right, you cannot rely on slingers against HAs. They'll die in no time. If you have them in your army already, keep them in the back and use them later in the battle in the hotest spots. With a bit of luck you can catch a pack of enemy cavalry off guard and fire a few volleys at them.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; June 04, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345