Thread: new zealand

Default new zealand

hi. i am off to new zealand this july and was wondering if anyone had any tips/places to visit etc. my idea is to mainly spend time on the south island (i am going for about three weeks), but open to suggestions...
    also if anyone knows anything about buses/public transport in general out there advice would be most welcome.

will hope to write a log when im back to help any others...
    Cheese is a kind of meat...

Default Re: new zealand

I visited NZ about 8 years ago and really enjoyed my time there.

I found the south island to be more scenic especially the south and west coast with mountains, glaciers, fjords (most famous is Milford sound), etc.. July will be the southern winter so you could even go skiing (Queenstown). But the north island also has some spectacular scenery like the Bay of Islands, old growth native Kauri pine forests north of Auckland (largest city) and Rotorua, plus more Maori culture to see (museums, Maori ceremonies and dinner, etc...).

I can't comment on bus service, as I rented a vehicle and drove most to the time. There is a ferry connecting the north and south island and you can drive or walk on for passage.

Finally, 3 weeks will be fairly tight. NZ does not look that big but I think 2 weeks per island would be best. Hopefully you have a full 3 weeks in NZ plus travel time to get there and back home.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Well it compares on what you like I would heartily recommend Rotura for the rock pools they are fantastic and some nice gizers over there too.

if you are a fan of nice buildings you have to go to Napier its a town that was destroyed in the 1920s then completely rebuilt in Art Deco style its like basically going back in time 70 years they are all still there.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

I asked an Auckland based friend a response and she gave quite a detailed reply, she's also putting together an information packet about tourism in New Zealand (which I'll see if I can PM you when it's done).

In short, the North island is where the serious urban feel is just like any other major city. She recommended Taupo and Rotura both as a must-see. Also check out Mission Bay, Rangitoto, and Waiheke. North Shore and West Auckland also do provide some sight-seeing (and also kayaking) but isn't as great as the South island.

On the South island, starting in Nelson, heading to Queenstown is a good idea (the latter provides a good skiing opportunity). Christchurch is also nice, Dunedin (where Otago University is located is a student's town), Invercargill, and Wanaka as well.

(personal side note - Don't forget Maori culture!!! It's brilliant!)

Air travel is a good option, but on the south island, most cities are within driving distance, so it would be a good idea to hire a car as you really won't get sick of driving. It all depends on how far in advance you plan your vacation

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by polleb View Post
    I asked an Auckland based friend a response and she gave quite a detailed reply, she's also putting together an information packet about tourism in New Zealand (which I'll see if I can PM you when it's done).

In short, the North island is where the serious urban feel is just like any other major city. She recommended Taupo and Rotura both as a must-see. Also check out Mission Bay, Rangitoto, and Waiheke. North Shore and West Auckland also do provide some sight-seeing (and also kayaking) but isn't as great as the South island.

On the South island, starting in Nelson, heading to Queenstown is a good idea (the latter provides a good skiing opportunity). Christchurch is also nice, Dunedin (where Otago University is located is a student's town), Invercargill, and Wanaka as well.

(personal side note - Don't forget Maori culture!!! It's brilliant!)

Air travel is a good option, but on the south island, most cities are within driving distance, so it would be a good idea to hire a car as you really won't get sick of driving. It all depends on how far in advance you plan your vacation
    I've been all over NZ and I would agree with pretty much every statement in this post.

Just to re-affirm: The South Island is definately the place to go if you're looking for our nice scenery. And Queenstown in particular is quite well known for some of its "extreme sports" tourist attractions, which are pretty popular (eg bungee jumping, shotover jet + more I can't think of).

In the North Island you get either lots of farms, forests or urban areas. So in general it's not particularly outstanding. Although Rotorua in particular is the main tourist place to go in the North Island.

P.S. You *may* wanna check out the Sky Tower in Auckland, it's the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I went a bit over four years ago. In terms of scenery, I always enjoyed the North Island more. There's a great beach that has ash in place of sand, forgotten the name though. In terms of cities, Christchurch is just beautiful.

Don't miss Isengard and the Shire.

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

Dievar's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Don't miss Isengard and the Shire.
    Please, Rivendell is THE place to go.

wow, thanks for the response. sorry i havent been around for a bit.
    unfortunately i am not 21 yet, so cant rent a car - do you think it would be worth buying when i get there and selling when i leave?
    and i am definetly going on the LOTR trail.
    Cheese is a kind of meat...

Dievar's Avatar Foederatus

Best option would be taking a 21 year-old with you, imo.

TemplarLord's Avatar Ordinarius

Resurrecting this thread in hope you guys can help with my homework... The thing is i have to write a rather large report on New Zealand, while trying to make the whole thing interesting to read... So I was wondering, if you had some more interesting details about New Zealand?

Also, thanks to mukali, Captain Blackadder, polleb, Warmaster & Octy for the info already given

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Uhh lets see do you want places do visit or factoids?

Lets see New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote in 1901 it was once governed by Australia and was very close to joining us in 1901 but didn't do so.

They are sheep shaggers since they have around 20 sheep for every single person in New Zealand. And their are many amusing jokes about the relationship New Zealanders have with sheep. Here are some of the better ones

Two NZ sheep farmers are flying the mob to a new farm. Suddenly, the engine fails and the plane begins to fall quickly to the ground.
    SH1: "Quick! Grab a parachute and jump!"
    SH2: "What about the sheep ?!?"
    SH1: "Bugger the sheep !!!!"
    SH2: (pause) "Do you think we have time?"

When a tourist coach passed through a small country town in NZ one of the passengers noticed a sheep tied to a lamppost on the corner in the main street. "What's that?" she said.
    "Oh that," said the guide, "that's the Recreation Centre"
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

That will be of great help, will have to consider about adding the jokes to the report tho

But, why are there so many sheep in NZ?

OT: The 1st joke reminded me of this one:

A plane full with passengers suddenly started crashing to the ground.

Lawyer: Oh no, we're gonna die!
    Random man: Quick, we have to get the parachutes to the children first!
    Lawyer: the children!
    Christian priest: You think there'll be time?

No offense intended to any Christians out there

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarLord View Post
    That will be of great help, will have to consider about adding the jokes to the report tho

But, why are there so many sheep in NZ?

OT: The 1st joke reminded me of this one:

A plane full with passengers suddenly started crashing to the ground.

Lawyer: Oh no, we're gonna die!
    Random man: Quick, we have to get the parachutes to the children first!
    Lawyer: the children!
    Christian priest: You think there'll be time?

No offense intended to any Christians out there
    There are so many sheep in NZ, because we have so many farmers here. And only the farmers shag sheep.

If you're doing a report on NZ, I suggest doing it on the settlers and stuff. Treaty of Waitangi (1840) 'til about 1880, or even as far as WWI. That time period is the most interesting part of our nation, simply because so much in that time period defined the rest of our lives and culture. For example, the "Land Wars" were in that time period, which had pretty interesting effects. The Maori Culture is also damned interesting to study.

Of course, you could always do a report on my home town, Nelson. It has a pretty neat history, and I'd be able to help you with anything you needed.

Thanks for the offer Elzabar, but I'll try to sum up my report on the whole of New Zealand.

But, I might add a bonus chapter at the end of the report, with the more interesting facts about NZ's history that won't be added in the main section. In that case, I will contact you.

I got about 2 months to do it (the teacher was very nice to warn me early ).

If you want any pictures of NZ, be sure to check out my thread, Elzabars Travels

New Zealand was the boringest country I ever visited in my whole life. I mean after one kilometer I see a plain field filled with sheep, and after another kilometer I see a plain field filled with cows, and after another kilometer I see a plain field filled with sheep again, and so forth ...

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    New Zealand was the boringest country I ever visited in my whole life. I mean after one kilometer I see a plain field filled with sheep, and after another kilometer I see a plain field filled with cows, and after another kilometer I see a plain field filled with sheep again, and so forth ...
    You must have been in the North Island.