Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola (II)

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola

ooc: *cough* bribe *cough*
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I veto against using cheats.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I move that we leave the sleeping wolf alone and focus solely on the Gauls.
    Let them have their towns for now.
    We can discuss further with them the treatise and hopefully get an alliance or better from them.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Falco waits a minute for a senatorial response, then carefully stands up to speak

"That does not resolve the Massilian matter, consul. A proconsul of Rome is trapped in Gaul, besieged by the Gallic Confederacy. We don't even know if he's still alive, it could well be that Marcus Valerius Corvinus is already dead. It would explain the sudden Gallic incursion of our lands, we would also attack the Confederacy if we found a Gallic chief fighting against us in a rebellion. But we cannot risk assuming the proconsul is dead, as he is an invaluable administrator and officer, and it would also mean we would lose significant face if we left such an honoured noble behind in enemy territory.

I do not have enough organisational experience to say how soon it would take to prepare for this expedition, or how long such an expedition would last, nor do I have the military experience to say how big or small an army marching on Massilia would need to be. I do know however that something must be done. I have worked closely with the proconsul, and I know he is not the man to give up, but to be in enemy territory for 6 months would be too much for most of us, why wouldn't it be for him? Every minute we spend here squabbling over the smallest of matters reduces his chances of survival. I propose we give the consul imperium to take 2 named legions (or if necessary 1 named and 1 auxilia) to help (or if we are too late: 'conquer') Massilia.

That was all, I thank you for your time.

Falco sits back down and waits for response.
    PLEBEIAN

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Massilia first, then Cisalpine Gaul! Prioritse people. The Consul has imperium to take a legion to Massilia, you may go.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

I veto against using cheats.
    ooc: You don't understand my reasoning. If the Creative Assembly actually made a realistic diplomacy system, we wouldn't have to cheat. The only way to get the free peoples faction up north to give us territory without fighting would be to bribe them, because, for some reason, CA doesn't allow you to use diplomacy with rebels. If we wanted to force the Ligurians and Insubres to become client states, we would have to use the add_money cheat so we can "bribe" them, because it didn't cost any money to force a nation to become a client state in history. This way, our treasury wouldn't be changed, which is realistic and the way it's supposed to be. So, really, it is not cheating AT ALL.

Back in character:

"Yes, please Consul Labienus, go north and save my brother, and the Massilians too. I shudder at the fact that Marcus may be dead."
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; April 02, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

OOC: For some strange reason, I see the point of Max a logical one... Am I the only one? Am I going insane?

IN: "Senators, I support neither of the two opposing sides; it is neither logical to leave the northern gates open to a gallic attack while we march towards Massalia, nor it is moral to leave the Greek city and most importantly a Proconsul of Rome, undefended! This is not the time to see which motion must we carry first as it is clear that such a distinction cannot be made. So, respectfully, I propose this, Senators: That we attack both Massalia and Gallia Cisilpina at the same time. What say you, Senate?"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

I agree fellow Tribune.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Maxinius Scipio View Post
    Back in character:

"Yes, please Consul Labienus, go north and save my brother, and the Massilians too. I shudder at the fact that Marcus may be dead."
    OOC:
    Now i think this story has gone on long enough eh? You are a good storyteller i see, but making up something so you can get Massilia isnt very noble. I went to far with my Equestris charachter so i got a new, more... unboastful charachter.
    in-charachter:
    Transalpane Gual first, then we will see what we can do with Massilia. We were concentrating on Carthage for a while, maybe we can send some support there

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

OOC: Carthage is ours, they only hold the balearics.

IN: It is simple, we take the ships and sail to Gressollara. We can then deal with Cisalpine gaul in anyway the senate wishes. The Cisalpine armies match us man for man on the border, and will no doubt have more men behind in their cities or just in reserve. the man power to take them and Massilia at the sae time would require many many legions.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

The people of Rome demands us to bring home the proconsul now.
    Son of Legio

So be it.
    Enough discussion on this topic has been made and I see a definate decorum where the senates decision lays.
    A vote has already been taken on Massilia so I will have the troops ready to march within the week.
    They have successfully landed in italy and undergoing training at the moment.
    A vote can be taken on Cisalpine Gaul and what is to happen there.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

OOC:
    Now i think this story has gone on long enough eh? You are a good storyteller i see, but making up something so you can get Massilia isnt very noble. I went to far with my Equestris charachter so i got a new, more... unboastful charachter.
    ooc: I didn't "make up something so I could get Massilia." My character won't even be known for taking Massilia, that's the Senior Consul's job, not his. I purely made up the story for an interesting turn of events, sorry if I tried to contribute to YATS to make it even more interesting.

IC:

"If the tribes who allowed the enemy horde to cross through their territory won't become client states peacefully, then I would vote that the whole region should be enslaved. They didn't show us an ounce of respect, and I think it's fair if we don't show them an ounce of respect in turn."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

"Who are we to take there lands, the horde could have surprised them.
    Are we aloude to take there land because they have watched there own lands poorly?
    I think not.
    We are Rome, and Rome will always should act as correct and noble
    as it could, not like some barbarians who plunder others lands and then leave
    nothing but destruction and suffering behind them."
    Son of Legio

I agree with the previous speaker. Has senator Corvinus forgotten that the independant Gauls in Gallia Cisalpina may not hold a grudge against Rome? They may have been paid off by the Gallic union to pass their lands or the Gauls may have just marched through, without even informing the independant tribes. There are countless reasons different from an alliance why the independants would not attack a Gallic army simply marching through their lands. Enslaving the northern tribes or abusing them in any other way could cause the population to turn against us, and could lead to years of unrest in that area.
    PLEBEIAN

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"We can't kill the northern tribes but we must conquer then.And if they turn against us,we will slaughter them all"

ooc:spelling police will catch you all

O Sancta Simplicitas!

ooc: even me?
    PLEBEIAN

As you can see senators from the map I have that that there are four considerable hordes around the area. One blocking the land route to Massilia, the town just past the bridge that divides our lands and the one outside Massilia.

I will be leaving within the day to Massilia however the I need to know how I must act against those in my way.
    Going via the sea route to Massilia direct would seem the obvious as well as the easiest.
    From there coming back we can trap the gauls between two legions, one from the south and one from the west.

Voice Chat @ Discord

A panting man covered in dust enters the senate hall, he looks at all the senators, then walks to senator Falco. The senator appears to know this man and greets him, the man shrugs it off and whispers in his ear. The message appears to be disturbing. Falco looks shocked and gets up to speak.

"Senators! I have grave news! While we were considering whether to march north or west, to the alps or to Massilia, fate, it seems, rolled her dice once more. We stared ourself blank on the Gallic threat and we failed to notice expansion from other powers. Now, it appears we pay the price. The Greek Cities have put aside their differences, and under the Spartan banner have expanded far beyond their homelands. In fact..." Falco swallows the lump in his thoat down "...in fact they now stand in... Italia."

Senators jump up and demand proof of this outragious news.

"Senators, senators! You demand proof, and proof I have. Firstly, I have the testimony of this man, who is my cousin, Gaius Lucretius Agricola. I understand not all senators will take the word of one man to be unquestionable, that is why he brought a map, drawn up by the assistant to the prefect of Arminium. I think the map speaks for itself."

Falco walks to the centre of the senate and unrolls the map.
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 03, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
    PLEBEIAN

Official Dispatch V, Consulate of Labienus and Publicola
    Senators.
    After much debate with my tribunes we decided our best course would be to head to Massilia by boat.
    I had only taken one legion with me and hoped if will suffice.
    We have landed safely and it seems news has reached me that greek armies have entered Cisalpine Gaul.

I do not have any idea how many but this disturbs me greatly.
    I have sent word to my tribunes to take their legions and guard the Rubicon.
    Both bridges are secure although it may be wise to appoint generals to both.
    The consul should take the one facing the Gauls and someone must be given proconsular imperium to take the one facing the greeks.

This is only my opinion.
    I do not think it we need to worry right now but this may be cause for alarm if they mount an attack against us.
    To me it seems the Greeks and Gauls are not allies which may work in our favour.
    Inform me of any changes.