Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola (II)

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola

Gaius rises from his seat while nodding his head in defiance.

"This is insanity. We have faced constant war for years. Continuous raids, attacks, and naval strikes that never seem to end. Are the Gods playing with us in a cruel way? Do they grin and cackle every time our country loses a man to the claws of death? It would appear so. I look on with a depressed face for the legionaries and civilians who died in Etruria during these past few weeks.

Yet, I rejoice at the same time. Our Consul has scrambled together a victory out of this. A few maniples have beaten, slain, and crushed an enormous, endless horde of Celts, Germans, and whoever else was migrating with those now dead barbarians. Many men in those maniples are dead. Many men are wounded, and many men have nightmares from almost meeting the evil things we call death and despair.

Now, we have reason to perform the same acts on the Gauls that they planned to perform on us. Occupation, pillage, rapine, and slaughter! Gaul on this side of the Alps must be subjugated, lest we want another horde entering Etruria and killing our citizens and peregrini. Etruria may be safe for the time being, but what about Umbria? What about the other tribes north of here? They still have much manpower and resources. Their kin may have failed, but what's stopping them from tromping their tribesmen and families down through Etruria, and to Rome itself! Rome is threatened here Senators, and shouldn't we act? If we sit here idle, and cower behind the Tiber and the Latini, Arretium will be besieged again and sacked along with every other port and town in the region. Rebellion and anarchy will ensue, and we have already worked so hard to defeat and pacify our legendary enemies.

Do not tell me that some of the men in this chamber do not have villas, slaves, and farmland up north. Do you want to lose your land? Your money? Your property? If you don't, then applaud my words. I speak the truth, I speak for the safety of the Republic!

Unless something is done against the other Gallic tribes up north, I will not hesitate to leave the fools in this hall to rot and join my brother in Massilia. Make up your minds, here and now."

Gaius does not sit, even though he is exhausted from speaking. He wants to hear the replies of the Senate.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Senators,

This man has fought for Rome, this man has killed for Rome, this man has shown he is a true Roman. His recent actions in the defence of Arretium only strengthen me in the belief he deserves to be rewarded for his actions. He has killed many an enemy for Rome, for which he deserves a Triumph. Rivals would have it he lost too many men for a triumph, but that has never mattered before. Since pre-historical times it was enough to win a war and bring home the victorious army, no matter how small it had become. And if the Tribune is jealous about the lack of triumph for late consul Brutus, maybe he would have us recall the men from their farms and march a triumph for Sicilia... 3 years after the war ended. I doubt the new triumph would add to the reputation of the Consul, for the plebes he already immortalised himself by selflessly sacrificing himself as a modern day Socrates. But let's not let grudges from the past cloud our judgment in the present. Give the Consul his Triumph, he deserves it.

In the Gallic matter, I agree with senator Gaius Valerius Corvinus. Gallia Cisalpina should be subjugated, but we cannot forget about Massilia. Its citizens have cried out for help, and proconsul Corvinus has responded, who are we not to aid a proconsul?
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 01, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus Lucretius, I thank you for your kind words and hope it does not fall on deaf ears as much has over the past years.
    Much needs to change in how Rome is managed and these reforms need to be done.
    Yes Gaius we must rally to the aid of our consul.
    This is our number one priority right now.
    A matter that must be resolved before the snow hits the mountains.
    Within the week our four legions will return from Africa and the war against Carthage.
    We hold three coastal towns plus a large part of the interior.
    It too now needs to be managed.
    They will be refitted and will march toward Gaul to liberate Massilia from the clutches of the Gallic hordes.
    I will not try to dictate terms to the senate but will only ask that those in this senate do not whimper when they loose face against what seems a majority.
    Certain laws must be inacted and these will only see the republic strengthen from within.
    I ask not what your single agendas are but what you have to contribute toward a greater republic.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; April 01, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Before you demand the subjugation of all below the alps, please remember that they may not all be of the confedrary (can we have map of Cisalpine Gaul please) that has marched us. For decades we have enjoyed peace with our neighbours to the north like the Insubres and Ligurares. And to attack the innocent out of scaremongering is despicable.

And Slaughter?! Are we like them? No! We are better. We are a fair, just and merciful people. Not bloody thristy maniacs. If we kill their women and children, then what changes is from them? The fact that they wear trousers?

You may be angry, and war IS the answer, but to stoop to the level of these "people" would make us no better than them.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

"Why do we need to act better than them? The many civilized nations and kingdoms of the world know that the barbarians north and west of here are the worst beings in the known world. They are scum, and they are trash.

If the Liguriae and Insubres were peaceful with us, or allied to us, why would they allow a huge horde to cross into our territory without attempting to stop them or attempting to alert us? The invading Gauls must have passed through their territory in order to attack us. How do we know the Gauls that attacked Arretium aren't Ligurians or Insubres themselves? We cannot trust these uncivilized ingrates. They would sacrifice everything for a coin or a slave. Their nobility is composed of bearded theives who are so arrogant that they think by raising a few warbands they can conquer everything. Lessons must be taught. Roman law, ideas, and civilization must be established in Cisalpine Gaul.

I did not say that every man, woman, and child should be killed and stacked onto a pile of bodies. I meant that prisoners of war should be executed and shown no mercy. The chieftains must be enslaved or killed, and any nobles loyal to them must share the same fate. Should any nobles show no hostility and some respect for us, then we should organize them into a council to govern their homelands. This is what I mean by civilization. Our government and culture should be completely copied by the Celts, so they can become more and more like we Romans."
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; April 01, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
    Praetorio Italiae

This was not a horde.It was a minute gatherng of men. Do not exaggerate in this house, you should seak the truth rather than incite public fear. It is our duty to the people to be honest. 1,000 me is nothing compared to the military they have, and if they wanted total war they could have sent 8,000! They shoudl be punsihed yes, but I ask that you do not lay upon the fear of the populace to qualify a war which this house will apporve. Keep your showpiece politics in the street!

I have to agree with Wode

This was not a horde.It was a minute gatherng of men. Do not exaggerate in this house, you should seak the truth rather than incite public fear. It is our duty to the people to be honest. 1,000 me is nothing compared to the military they have, and if they wanted total war they could have sent 8,000! They shoudl be punsihed yes, but I ask that you do not lay upon the fear of the populace to qualify a war which this house will apporve. Keep your showpiece politics in the street!
    I agree with my colleague however to the two hundred and eighty men who kept Arretium safe from the attacking gauls those one thousand men spelled doom had they failed.
    I do not doubt that had it been two thousand, the result would have been different.
    They fought bravely and your word take away from their and my victory.
    Do not forget what would have happened if we failed.
    Do you think they would let me go?
    Do you think the people of Arretium would have been let to live and the homes stay intact.
    So yes we must not take this lightly.
    A thousand men or three men crossing the borders of Roman territory with their only intent on conquering is an act of war.
    I do not wish for it to turn into a full scale against Gaul but we must rescue our proconsul and liberate Massilia.
    That is our main priority.
    We must not leave any man to the fate of these brigands.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Senators, I am astonished to witness that the Gauls managed to reach Arretium and besiege the city. I give sincere thanks to Servius Labienus for rescuing the city and further I propose that we give him the grass crown, from grass made from the grass of the battlefield, to honour his great victory.

Now, what is to be done? Surely, the best action for the Republic is to retaliate this hideous challenge of the Gauls. I propose that we recruit a total of four Consular Legions, to be used in the subjugation of every gallic town in Gallia Cisilpina; surely, if we hold the alps, we can limit the gallic incursions, so I believe that as far Corvinus's proposal is sensible.

But, what shall we do with the Gauls? Rape them? Slaughter them? Steal from them? No Senators, no! This is not the Roman ways! Let us immitate our glorious ancestors and sell every last of their women and children as slaves, to serve some good Roman citizens! And let us nail the men and any boy that can hold a sword to a cross! That is what our ancestors did and that is what I propose we do now! Shall we be merciful? I think not!"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Corona Civica?
    Quintus Servillius, you praise me beyond words.
    I do not know what else to say except thank you.
    I suppose a motion for that would need to be made?
    Or just a simple parting to see who is against and who is for.

As for the gauls we are seeing two sides to this and I belive the senate will remain pointing out which route we should take and which we should abandon.
    I therefore ask the junior consul to bring this to vote as no amount of debating is going to change what ultimately needs to happen.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; April 02, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Consul, I think the tribune is referring to the even higher decoration: the corona graminea, the grass crown, you broke a siege after all.

Now, tribune, you propose the formation of four consular legions from scratch to counter the Gallic threat. While I do recognise this threat, and I do wish to see this threat turned, I do not think recruiting four new consular legions is the right way to go. Having a large heavy professional army could give an ambitious politician or revolting general just the tool to bring down this sacred Republic! My party, and definately myself would not agree to the raising of such an army. The returning army from Africa, consisting of four legions, would be up to the task of subjugating Gallia Cisalpina and relieving Massilia. If the consul feels he requires more men, I would suggest the recruitment of a few auxilia legions across Italia or Sicilia.
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 02, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Thank you for the correction there Marcus.
    These things slip my mind so often.
    Age is not a blessing once you see as many winters as I have.

On topic you are right Marcus Lucretius.
    With the four legions returning home soon and as it stands I have already started with the recruitment of auxilia and training of new troops to ensure the legions are plump.
    I have left all auxilia units in Africa as they can be recruited elsewhere which is what I plan.
    This is definately a turn of the tide and we must move swiftly to nip it in the bud.
    Let us however not forget that our primary mission is to rescue Gaius' brother.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Do we have any legions in Africa at the present moment? Surely we cannot leave the area undefended, even if we are allied with those around it.

And with reference to to recruiting four Consular Legions(I don't know how you count legions on this senate, I count a consular army as 4 normal legions which is alot in itself!), why not have the men from Africa supplemented and the new recruits sent to Africa? This way, our experianced men can fight th gauls.

And Metellus, can you show me any instance in which we enslaved a people? (Have read the first 5 books of Livy and can't recall an instance of slavery in that or general knowledge. also If we have in this incarnation, shame on you all!)

Yes. I have withdrawn all legionaries from Africa but left the Auxilia I took along. Also I have begun the recruiting of a local legion who can rally to any city within a matter of days.
    Carthage and Africa is safe consul Publicola.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Then I can sleep easily in my bed, for the knowledge that our lands are safe.

But could I enquire as to the ownership of Cisalpine gaul? If they are not in allegiance to the Confederacy, we ask them to join us?(if they are the free people faction that you can do business with, ask for the territories in exchange for not attacking.) or try to entice them with money, for it is easier to pay in talents as opposed to souls.

This is true.
    The same way we received Carthage from the Iberians.
    And yes it is true. Most of the Cisalpine areas are in the hands of the free people.
    I will arrange at soonest to get the information we need to make a sound judgement in the North.
    It is the lands to the North West we must look towards.
    They are under the gallic flag and that is where the incursion took place.

Voice Chat @ Discord

"Then I suppose it is possible that our allies north of here allowed the horde to pass because of intimidation. They shouldn't go free without punishment, though. We should force them to disband most of their armies, so they pose no threat to us in the future. They must understand that we are, or used to be, their rightful allies and friends, and they cannot treat us in such a way. We were not even warned.

Or, if you'd prefer, we could order them to disband all of their armies and accept Roman garrisons. Their kings won't be taken out of power, and everyone there would be spared. The Insubres and Liguriae would, effectively, become client states."

ooc: This can be done by using force diplomacy and by using the add_money cheat. If diplomacy can't be used with the free people, then just bribe them. The add_money cheat would still be necessary though, because it didn't cost a nation anything to force another nation to become a client state. Our treasury should be largely unchanged.
    Praetorio Italiae

ooc: This can be done by using force diplomacy and by using the add_money cheat. If diplomacy can't be used with the free people, then just bribe them.
    ooc:Are we going to do that? That would need to be passed by everyone as using cheats is against the constitution and can face harsh penalties.

ooc: I know it would need to be passed by everyone. I was just explaining how it would be done if it was used. I'm sure it's alright to use cheats if everyone agrees and it's for a realistic reason.
    Praetorio Italiae

ooc: true. the battle against the free people will be a bloody one. their armies match ours in numbers and that is just on our border.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; April 02, 2008 at 03:01 PM.