Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola (II)

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Labienus/Publicola

Official Dispatch III, Consulate of Labienus and Publicola

From there I took the second legion who had seen very little action and moved towards the last coastal town.
    Lepcis Magna.
    After days of marching we arrived and laid siege immediately.
    We cut them off from any reinforcements.
    I saw no need than to wait solely for the siege equipment to get through their walls.

The battle of Lepcis Magna.

This time the odds were slightly even yet still we outnumbered them.
    Battle was fought and men fell from both sides.
    We rallied together the men and I and fought with everything we had.

It is true, I am an old man but generalling is in my blood.
    I can now say I have commanded legions.

The fighting got out of hand and Carthaginians were running left to right without a decent command.
    It was not easy getting all of them in one place but we managed to round them up and finish the day.

I left Africa with the tides and have given instructions for the management of these towns to the best men I could.
    I would recommend to the senate to come to some arrangement soon for Africa.
    Declare it a province or withdraw all troops and leave it to the dogs.
    I will be in Rome within seven days.
    I plan to rest here for two days before I hire a gig and follow the road home.
    Last edited by Caesar Rex; March 31, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"At last, the African campaign draws towards its end; now, since all of Carthaginian Africa is conquered, I would propose that we ask the return of the legions which fought the campaign in full: that is Legio II Augusta and Legio VI Ferrata. Once these legions are on Italian soil and retrained, I propose that we send them towards Massalia to free our Proconsul from the Gaulic Hordes. What say you, Senators?"
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Gaius walks into the Senate Halls with a blood red face and clenched fists. A handful of slaves and freedmen are following him with enormous bags filled to the brim with...something. He pushes the doors open and they slam against the walls.

"Empty the bags onto the floor!" shouted Gaius as his followers poured the contents of every single bag onto the marble floor. When they were done, half of the floor was covered with gold coins, pottery, and jewelry.

"Bribery! Corruption, manipulation, and immorality! Is this what Pergamon is about? Bribing Roman Senators so the noblemen in Pergamon can live to see another day? This is cowardice! Were I a lesser man, I would've accepted this vast bribe that comes to about...2,000,000 denarii. So, you can see that they do have money. The Pergamine nobility should fight the Armenians themselves instead of hiding in their palaces and estates. This is pathetic. This diplomat should be arrested and jailed!"
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

"Senators, today we witness a Roman like Manius Curius Dentatus of old. As myth has it, Curius Dentatus was approached by the Samnites with chests filled of public gold, in an effort to bribe the legendery Plebeian Consul. But Dentatus, as a true man, replied that he prefered to command the rich than be one himself and sent away the delegation along with all of their gold. Today, we see a man that has done the same thing: Marcus Valerius Corvinus! I propose that in the inbribable Dentatus's honour, we name Corvinus Censor of the Republic, an office of extreme honour being the last of our cursus honorum and an office awarded to those of firm moral character! I personally endorse Marcus Valerius Corvinus for Censor! Further, I publicly commend you, Marcus; you are a true Roman!"

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Official Dispatch IV, Consulate of Labienus / Publicola
    I write this on the eve of my return.
    I have not heard anything from the senate and have only acted accordingly.
    There has not been an official dispatch sent to me in months.
    I presume all is well in Rome and the Republic.
    I would like to recommend on my return an Ovation for Marcus Decimus Iunius Caepionis.
    Although not of rank to recieve a triumph he deserves and ovation for his brave efforts in Africa.
    I look forward to entering the halls of the Republic once more.
    Long live Rome.
    Ser.Labienus
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

ooc: Fabius, Marcus is in Massilia. Gaius Valerius Corvinus, Marcus' brother, is here, however. He's speaking for Marcus while he's gone. Remember? I was under the impression that I stated this on many occasions.
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; March 31, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
    Praetorio Italiae

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco looks at the diplomat shaking his head

"I defended the case of Pergamon, I said Roman honour and Roman bravery were needed to help the poor and helpless Pergamians. Now it turns out that this was merely an act, a scam, a foul trick designed to harm Roman integrity. A nation which would lower itself to such low acts is unworthy of Roman help, unworthy of existing. It is not up to us to punish this transgression, as I'm sure the Armenians will soon enough."

Now Falco turns to the senate:

"Senators, I realize in light of my vigorous defence of a Pergamian expedition my motives might now be called into question. I want to assure the senate: I did not accept any bribes, nor did I know of any bribes. Had I known, I would not have defended Pergamian interests on this hallowed ground. Hear me senators, but more than that, believe me. I did not know."
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; March 31, 2008 at 04:01 PM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

OOC: I keep forgeting that Max...

After sitting down in shame, Falco remembers something

"Oh, and senators, apparently our senior consul is a man to be neglected. He has given the Republic a greater new territory than we have ever acquired before, yet no-one has even suggested to reward him for it. I was opposed to this war, and I still am, but the senate deemed it wise to fight this war. Shouldn't we reward the man who won this war for the senate? Servius Labienus won a victory in record time, yet with minimal losses. Ever since the founding of the Republic, victors of brilliant victories have been rewarded Triumphs, and those who won large amounts of territory in the process won an honorific title. Consul Servius Labienus has won a brilliant victory, and has brought a lot of new land under Roman control. I personally see no reason to have our Senior Consul come home without getting these signs of honor."
    PLEBEIAN

"Yes, of course Senator Falco. We have just been busy with these Pergamian rodents and Massilia."

Gaius stands up to address everyone in the Senate Hall. For the first time in his political career, he stands with confidence and an with an experienced and august look about him. He holds out his arm, and opens his mouth.

"Senators, our Consul has performed a great deed. In little over a year, Consul Labienus has crushed and subjugated Carthage, it's sister cities, and its clients and allies. All of Africa lays at the hands of our legions and legates, and the Sophet and Senate of Carthage now bow to us, we humble Romans. Such a great deed can only be accomplished in such a short amount of time by a man who is loved by the Gods. Let this prove that even Plebeians, who many of you noblemen in this chamber look down upon, can perform the great tasks asked of them, and overcome all that threatens and spits on Rome.

This is truly a great day. The men who have spit on our most humble of Senators, our Tribunes and Censors, now cry for mercy like women and children. I will state again that Servius Labienus the Elder, and his Quaestors are to thank for this. Who here will disagree that this man, being the highest Roman official in the region, is worthy of a Triumph? His legions probably call him "Imperator", and it would be a shame if we didn't honor our young men's decision."

Gaius, who has held his chin high for his speech, now sits down with complete satisfaction. These halls are beginning to seem much better than the enormous amount of farmland he is used to.
    Praetorio Italiae

"Senators, even if I do want to give our Senior Consul some honour for his success, I feel that the losses were simply too high to propose a triumph. The People would not see a Triumph with a good eye, not with so many dead Romans... I feel that it is in the best interest of public order and stability of the State if the Consul was to turn down the triumph offer willingly; while not going as far as using my tribunal veto, I believe that all in this sacred chamber understand the rational of my thought behind my hesitation."

OOC: I didn't have a triumph when I conquered all of free Sicily losing less than 600 men and you want to give a triumph for the conquest of three provinces(I conquered five), one of which through forced diplomacy, while Caesar and his legates and quaestors(me being one of them) lost in total 1909 men?!?!?! Where is this RPG coming to... (PS: I have bold out the controversial parts for ya!)

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I would like to make my announcements for Princeps Senatus and Censor.

For Censor, the incorruptable Gaius Valerius Corvinus (almost put Marcvs).

and for the Princeps Senatus I appiont Our friend Quintus Servilius Metellus

But I have news for you friends, I would firstly like to make the observation, one which through correspondence with Labienus we agree; that there are too many positions for men outside Rome. some of which are not necessary. That is why I would like to propose that the provinces of Sicily, be merged with that of Corsica and Sardinia. The reason is that both regions are at peace, and their geographic proximity allows for one team of a Proconsul or Propraetor and a quaestor to run the islands with ease.

What say you senate?

OOC: Ge tot he voting booth peope, and don't worry, I'm not Mugabe!
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; March 31, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

"I strongly disagree with the motion proposed. The said provinces have sufficient - and of major importance - differences to be governed by different staff of people. To name only but one difference, Sicily provides the main source of grain for Rome, except the Aegyptian imports of course. We cannot and we should not mix the most important agricultural set of provinces with Corsica and Sardinia, provinces that are by definition strictly commercial. That would limit the revenue for both Proconsulates to neither's benefit and surely not to the benefit of the roman people who will suffer from any decrease of the grain and revenue imports from the proconsulates.

Having said that, I believe that we have indeed too many of our Senators away from this Sacred Chamber for far too long; we need to at least have some of our conscript fathers returned. So, I counter propose that we limit the number of each Proconsulate to the Proconsul and a Quaestor to act as his clerk. Other than these offices, I truly believe that we need not."

We currently have 5 men away, including our friend Marcvs in Massilia. And albeit the Labienus will return within the week, we need not so many men away. Yes the provinces require different things, but is a roman incapable of exectuing both to precision? For you miss the fact that other than the unruly sicilians, the provicnes are free of trouble, and need not be seperated for the sense of buearocracy. Something this senate sometimes relies upon too heavily. The men we have are capable of running all the islands. Why not let them?

"You musunderstood my argument, Consul; I did not implied that our worthy senators cannot succeed in ruling the islands, merely that it would be best have one man ruling Corsica and Sardinia and one ruling over Sicily. However, since this is the last term of our proconsuls - safe only if they ask an expansion of their terms - I believe that we can put a motion and see by the will of majority what we must do.

Also, in the lines of the Proconsulates, do we name Africa Romanorum, the part of Africa that we own, as a Proconsulate from now on?"

Thats a point, unless we want it under the control of the Senate, we might need to make it a province. I would be unsure whether this Senate could support 3 Provinces under 3 proconsulates.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Why dont we merge the Sardinian and Corsican provinces with Africa Romanus instead as they both share the same culture(Carthaginian)?
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

They share a similar culture on the coastlines only. The Corsicans and Sardinians are fiercely different and independant peoples. However, they are places where pofit is the order of the day. It is a situaion where something has to change because we cannot have 3 provinces under a senatorial governor. I propose a poll where we vote on the best merge of provinces, and wittle it down to two options when we can vote and deicde.

I.e. a poll with 4 options, the top two go to a senatorial vote, and the winner of the vote is the new arrangement.

How about the quaestor fulfil a different function? The quaestor could be the mediator between the senate and the proconsul/propraetor and vice versa. The quaestor would also be responsible for checking wether the promagistrate is not breaking his imperium and given budget. The function now fulfilled by a quaestor could be given to a tribune or some other military or civil official.

That way one quaestor could serve several provinces, which would probably streamline the organisation.

I do agree with the suggestion of having one aide-de-camp per promagistrate.
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; April 01, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
    PLEBEIAN

I think that a single Quaestor to link all the Governors would be the most effective way. It stops the need to merge provinces, yet reduces the men we need abroad.
    I will, unless you wish to debate,

propose that Africa Romanus be introduced as a rpovince with it's own governor

and

That all subordinate staff of Governors be terminated and that a new quaestor be assigned to assist all governors. This Queastor will be appointed by the governors as a group.