Thread: Call of Warhammer Total War

Default Re: Call of Warhammer Total War

So this is one pretty mod. but a question. Will Imperial handgunners work as the musketeers or arquebusiers do in original MTW2? or will you be revamping them to be much more deadly and/or accurate.

Gunpowder infantry seem to be extremely lacking in vanilla MTW2.

Dwarfs vs orcs
    Wa-r-rhhh!!

Last edited by Feinar; May 29, 2009 at 04:32 AM.

AWESOME!

Can't wait... have to start a Waaagh

Thank you friend!

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Dwarfs own all, nice work
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Thank you very much!!

Uploaded

WOW very nice!!!
    k

Thank friends for your positive estimations!!

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Perfection personafied, please prepare a prequel post-haste.
    I'm perplexed with percolating pathos. PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Well, assuming you can release without problems even with the MoC models in place, I won't mind and will happily play the mod, which looks astounding.

HOWEVER, the real question in my mind is that we haven't seen or heard much from the coding side of things. Eye candy is all well and good, but are the unit stats well done and faithful to the source material (miniature game based stats or background based stats?),
    is the campaign well done, and most importantly, what are you doing about the AI? It's all well and good to have a great looking mod but if it ends up being the same kind of cakewalk with you winning every battle it will fail to keep me interested for long.

That's why I think AI is paramount. At the moment, XAI (here on the forums) is unparalleled (especially with the new 3.4 version), so maybe you could benefit from that if you approached Xeryx (the XAI mod leader) respectfully?

i hate to sonud rude but dont you think thats a bit of a stupid question, i think there pcitures and videos show the codding sides fine and pretty much done.

Now I have to restrain myself from being even ruder, but that's just par for online forums.

And how exactly do you think videos and pictures can tell us anything about the quality of the EDU and similar files? What can it tell us about the AI, for that matter?
    These are not stupid questions - in fact they're questions that should be asked every time a major Total War mod or game is being made (and believe me, that goes ESPECIALLY for CA).

Not every mod needs to write their own AI (as it is truly a work of its own) but some solution should always be in place.

Now, don't take this for negativity towards the mod. It looks fantastic - but that's just it - we have seen how it looks, we haven't seen how it plays. Looking forward to it!

i would also like to know if the stats on the units will reflect the fantasy lore. like chaos having the best infantry in the game (someone on the GW site said that not me!) and the Empire having the most supportive army (handgunners fire a volley then swordsmen tie up units then halberdiers smash their flank with their armor piercing weapons)...

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

Great trailer as usual.

I can't wait to play this mod!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

@Glabro
    Balancing the game by editing the edu isnt the hardest thing in the world. The modelling and coding stuff is. No need to be worried. About the AI, I dont think that vanilla AI is bad. Even if they dont implement any modded AI behaviour the game can be challenging. Obviously it can be modded to be even more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glabro View Post
    HOWEVER, the real question in my mind is that we haven't seen or heard much from the coding side of things. Eye candy is all well and good, but are the unit stats well done and faithful to the source material (miniature game based stats or background based stats?),
    Well, it would be quite unfair for many factions to implement the exact values from 7th edition miniature Warhammer. Easily Chaos, Dark Elves and the Dwarves would be the strongest and Orcs and Goblins would be too easy to kill or rout (many WFB players complain about that), not to mention that the best infantry unit of the Empire (Greatswords) tend to lose against their Dwarven or Chaos counterparts even when accompanied by heroes, while they should withstand them and hopefully fight back (the basic state troops are easy to kill cannon fodder, but if used wisely - they do well). Yes, I'm a beginner at WFB and this might affect my opinion, but I think the mod team know what they do

Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    Well, it would be quite unfair for many factions to implement the exact values from 7th edition miniature Warhammer. Easily Chaos, Dark Elves and the Dwarves would be the strongest and Orcs and Goblins would be too easy to kill or rout (many WFB players complain about that), not to mention that the best infantry unit of the Empire (Greatswords) tend to lose against their Dwarven or Chaos counterparts even when accompanied by heroes, while they should withstand them and hopefully fight back (the basic state troops are easy to kill cannon fodder, but if used wisely - they do well). Yes, I'm a beginner at WFB and this might affect my opinion, but I think the mod team know what they do
    Errr...so you share my interest in the topic at hand, is the shorter form of the answer?
    Or did you somehow assume I was requesting direct translation (which of course is impossible anyway) from WFB (which I wasn't. Faithfulness to the background, on the other hand, paired with good playability are the primary concerns for me).

For example, if this was a WH40k mod, I'd want background-based Space Marines (VERY few in number, VERY tough) as opposed to their tabletop incarnations.

How the campaign map and AI is set up is of real importance: we really don't want to see Warhammer factions behaving like normal medieval 2 nations, right?
    They need to be aggressive if they're orcs or chaos, for example, and diplomacy has to be worked out, etc....

As for the vanilla AI not being bad, well, that's where we totally disagree. I think if you say that, you simply don't know of anything better and think that winning every battle and the AI acting in a retarted way is simply how things are and cannot be helped.

I'm sure you can come up with scenarios such as where a massive Ork invasion attacks a very small dwarf hold, where the numbers are so stacked that it creates the challenge - and those kind of solutions are fine - but they clearly don't apply to "World Map" campaigns that well.
    Last edited by Glabro; May 29, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

i'm gna have to say no, i wouldn't like it exactly likened to WFB lore. one chaos trooper could pretty much rip through 3-4 normal Empire men and not break a sweat

I think that it would be a good idea to have the stats depict the Races like this.
    Orcs: good stamina, bad defense.
    Dwarfs: Good stamina, slow moving.
    and so on and so on.

but really, i think thay know what their doing and i trust them to make the Warhammer fans happy and please every one else with this (i hope) soon to be released mod.

BTW great video! i still have goose bumps.