Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvania Help

Default Sylvania Help

I have played 2 campaigns , both on going and in there 40th turn , one with high elves and one with Averland
    but i want to play as Sylvania because there just so cool! but i find them unplayable as there units are weak and have huge upkeep , the moral lock helps but becuase most of there units are just crude , they are getting annihilated by weak empire units ...

Can someone help me with this faction , ive read the guide but there suggestions are outdated for 1.4.

Default Re: Sylvania Help

Use the crappy foot soldiers to hold the line with the morale lock, and the cavalry (Von Carsteins and Black Knights mostly) to annihilate them from behind. Kill the commander first if you can. They're usually on foot, and as such, very, very, VERY vulnerable to cavalry charges on their side (left). After that, the enemy gets into a panic 95% of the time and cowards fight even worse than skeletons
    I've been outnumbered, outgunned, outflanked a bunch of times on VH/VH campaign difficulty, and I haven't lost a single major fight using this tactic. You sometimes get little or no casualties, sometimes you lose 50-80% of your army, but you win. And necromancy trait helps A LOT, so keep your vampire generals alive.

P.S. Don't trust the elite Grave Guard foot soldiers. They may be fancy, but they're still just bags of bones. Use warriors and spears, they're cheap, and do the same job - in my opinion much better. They're not there to win,but to HOLD THE LINE.

i dont play evil factions and especially Sylvania because of the creepy and ear shattering music.
    Reiksland FTW!!!!

Thanks Rad , ill try these tactics i use them with most battles anyway, it just seems to me from reading warhammer books , that An undead amy relies on its numbers and its ability to say no to fear , but the up keep is insane , what do i do on the campaign map to actually stay out of the red?

@ eidius .... that didnt help, and proper players enjoy a challenge

i cheat lol XD
    but only a little i train some merchants and cheat my way to get to the resources in the dwarf mountains(those blue rocks) and practically make twice the income, there also 2 green crystals close to your land, you can also use those but they are not as good as the blue rocks.

i also process_cq everything in my capital. these are the only cheats i do, the rest of the game is played fair and square

Edit: don't you judge me! *shakes fist*

I did that on rome , i have no idea how to do it on medieval XD ..... not that i intend to.

Don't use elite units other than Cavalry. I agree they're expensive. Only the cavalry is worth it. You need 2-4 of them in the main army, 4 being preffered. Skeleton footmen are a must. Most of the starting castles can garison between 10-20 units, put as much free upkeep units as you can and use your main force to help them in defence if you must, but that will be rare since you should be on the attack often. Only for scripts and freaks of total war engine nature. Try to use the expensive "elite" grave guard to do the most damage at the start of the campaign. Don't even bother retraining them. Be on the attack. The southern dwarven castle is a juicy target, but don't siege it unless it's empty (3-4 units max), cause those dwarves are a real pain once they're dug up in their holes defending.On the open field, you will destroy them. The dwarves will at some point gather an army to invade you. Intercept them, and destroy using the tactics I mentioned in my previous post. They work especially well against the stunties. Build up your economy (taxes, some of the cheaper money making buildings, looting ). Also the rebel town north-east is poorly defended. Those are the two towns I take very early in the game in my eastern part. On the west, there's the Empire. Take Nuln. You may get a chance to take it fast using spies if the garrison gets empty. If not, defeat their army in a field battle and ravage the town. That will get you cash. That western keep you have at the start (forgot the name, I forget lots of names ) has 20 slots of free upkeep, so when you stabilise your economy a bit, you can use your whole initial army there to attack, and make skeletons to guard the keep.
    I have written this as my memory went. If I remember anything else, I'll write it down.
    Last edited by Rad; February 23, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by eidius View Post
    i cheat lol XD
    but only a little i train some merchants and cheat my way to get to the resources in the dwarf mountains(those blue rocks) and practically make twice the income, there also 2 green crystals close to your land, you can also use those but they are not as good as the blue rocks.

i also process_cq everything in my capital. these are the only cheats i do, the rest of the game is played fair and square

Edit: don't you judge me! *shakes fist*
    The Undead don't have merchants, and this thread is about the Undead. Pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    The Undead don't have merchants, and this thread is about the Undead. Pointless
    i spit on your logic

Do you swallow too?
    @ eidius

Thanks again ill be sure to try your advice ... the castle is called blood keep

Yeah, now I know. Started a campaign a few minutes ago to check
    It shouldn't be difficult. The wolves have been deleted from the campaign, so with a little tax raise and the sacrifice of some of the unnecessary troops, conquering cities as you play, your economy will go great.
    Remember to drink someone's blood in my name if my advice proves useful

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Do you swallow too?
    @ eidius
    depends on the occasion

@ EIDUIS .... SHOCKED FACE

and i will dry many humans in your honour Rad

Quote Originally Posted by olihax View Post
    I have played 2 campaigns , both on going and in there 40th turn , one with high elves and one with Averland
    but i want to play as Sylvania because there just so cool! but i find them unplayable as there units are weak and have huge upkeep , the moral lock helps but becuase most of there units are just crude , they are getting annihilated by weak empire units ...

Can someone help me with this faction , ive read the guide but there suggestions are outdated for 1.4.
    i started this mod with Sylvanian and i control half the map fought back 90% of Chaos and Orc storm in round 70(sthg like that)
    in my opinion its easy to play with sylvanian. The mercanery units you get are very cool . Use besides the catapult it infeccts fear.

Never tried catapults. Too expensive in my opinion, although with the recent patch, artilery has become VERY LETHAL. Slows down my march of death too
    But still,good advice.

Mass. Zombies.

Bury them beneath the weight of the dead.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

In my experiences (prior to the patch, it must be said) sylvania is a synonym for 'hammer and anvil'
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

What are you talking about?

Sylvania is the easiest race to play, all you need is 1 stack of undead and your fine. Hold line with Skeletons/Grave Guard, use generals ult, flank, 1 screaming skull catapult sends an entire army running. You also get crazy regen on your units after battle so 1 stack can take out up to 5 empire stacks before it needs to be retrained.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Screaming Skulls Catapults sinks enemy's morale, i suggest to always include at least one unit in every major army.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast