Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate using Elites....

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default I hate using Elites....

....because they are too pretty to let die.

I've found this to be a very big problem for me in all of my campaigns so far

Some units I've never had the stones to commit into battle are Emir's Ghulams and the elite swordsmen and archers of Sindh (I forget their name).

In my current campaign as the Eastern Roman Empire, the starting four elite units in Constantinople (two axemen units and two cavalry units) have toured Anatolia on campaign, and have collectively killed zero men.

Do you guys have the problem too?

Otsman's Avatar Senator

Default Re: I hate using Elites....

yeah, the azeri spearmen and the elite horsemen for my seljuk game hardly ever see any battles, because i won't get any more of them until forty years into the game

My precious-s-s...
    I usually meet this problem in my games, but crying in front of the screen and praying god to add them additional armor and attack lead them into the center of battle. Sometimes a part of them survive until the end =)) But there is no problem to recruit another stack of elites and send them to war.

lol yeah i hate having to through my elites into battle haha, like my kypchak lancers would stay in the behind generally. Lol i hate getting casualties lol.

Bebbe's Avatar Ordinarius

Wait , you keep them from battle because they can't get retrained easily ?
    Then what's the point of having them, except that they cost you money ?

Problem Sleuth's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They're trophy troops, they're useless because they'll never be used (unless you're in dire straits), but they look good.
    Armed with your TOMMY GUN, you are one hard boiled lug. Nobody mess with this tough guy, see?

Krusadr's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    ....because they are too pretty to let die.

I've found this to be a very big problem for me in all of my campaigns so far

Some units I've never had the stones to commit into battle are Emir's Ghulams and the elite swordsmen and archers of Sindh (I forget their name).

In my current campaign as the Eastern Roman Empire, the starting four elite units in Constantinople (two axemen units and two cavalry units) have toured Anatolia on campaign, and have collectively killed zero men.

Do you guys have the problem too?
    Same exact problem as you, because I too am playing as Sindh. Ahh, it just kills me to use my Jagadir Swordsmen in battle. And if i have to attack walls, and they're under arrow fire? I just wanna cry. I cannot take seeing them die because of missile fire.

my heart breaks </3

Those Elite archers have such a complicated, ambiguous name. I picked it up off of a site talking about the gypsies, evidently they were Indian Ghulams used by the Muslims since early times. "Qiqaniyya Bowmen".

Krusadr's Avatar Civis

yea, thats it. I cant even pronounce the first syllable.

In my many hours of BC, I think I've used elites only a handful of times at all, mostly against Mongols. Not because they are pretty (they are), but because I'm more of a rusher and I spam stacks of light (aka crap) units. In fact in all of my TW experience, I haven't really used any elites (no Urban Cohorts, Spartans, Gothic Knights, ect...)

I've longed to use some tier 3+ units!

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Krusadr View Post
    Same exact problem as you, because I too am playing as Sindh. Ahh, it just kills me to use my Jagadir Swordsmen in battle. And if i have to attack walls, and they're under arrow fire? I just wanna cry. I cannot take seeing them die because of missile fire.

my heart breaks </3
    Imagine how hard I cried when the Mongols ate my khwarezm shah guard lancers within 10 seconds.

My first few times around with the ERE I did that also. My troops played garrison duty, or toured the Anatolia province.

I am a little more forthcoming with my Ghorid units since they have such variety.

Krusadr's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by eggthief View Post
    Imagine how hard I cried when the Mongols ate my khwarezm shah guard lancers within 10 seconds.
    im so sorry for your loss...

Quote Originally Posted by eggthief View Post
    Ugggh , I think i just threw up in my mouth from imagining some horribly ugly vanilla mongols killing some beautiful BC units.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://&#91;IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png&#91;/IMG]

Fijj's Avatar Miles

Nah, if it gives me the starting edge in the campian, then I'll use them till death.

I do hate using the Dismounted Knights of Jerusalem and Templars in the KoJ camp./ mostly because they are so powerful and takes a really long time to make them in almost constant war.

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

I almost cry when I have to use my Jerusalem Guards to protect my city when it is under siege.
    The invaders pay heavily...... but still .

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Those Elite archers have such a complicated, ambiguous name. I picked it up off of a site talking about the gypsies, evidently they were Indian Ghulams used by the Muslims since early times. "Qiqaniyya Bowmen".
    That's the one. I absolutely love those guys. I knew the name started with a Q, but I was gonna type Qsatriya, which I think is actually Ksatriya (or similar spelling) which is an entirely different faction/unit. I would have felt dumb probably.

Update on my situation: I commited my pelek-something axemen to a fight against some Armenians today and a couple died

Loving the posts guys, keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Kip; March 27, 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Sersly There the first things i use cause there superb at eliminating week units in rebel camps. That and 2 650 upkeep for the KAT's and 2 300 upkeep Axemen is way to high at the beginning of the game to keep economy building. At lest for Rome. I typically end up with a unit of 5 out of 25 left so i can rebuild a gold unit as soon as i can make them.

I spam Leet stacks and rain terror. I used to make nothing but mamluk horse army's that could pawn several enemy stack before needing a refresh and carve a path of destruction to there city's for other unmounted units back in vanilla.

Speeking of witch...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Its harder in BC and the Mongols rained Terror on my leet army's when i tryed to fight them with the Khwarezm Shah. They even killed a leet filled citadel WITH CANNONS! using like 5 army's. That kinda crippled me and then they settled there so i called it lost. Correct in full preparation i still lost to the Mongols.

And i thought i am the only one with this problem.I lost already a few battles because of that.Once the full stack of Ai army attacked me surprisingly so right at begining of the battle i pressed the white flag button for my elite units and in the end lost the battle.
    How dumb is that?

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

I always get my elite units near the general meaning they are more for show

especially marching........ahhhhhh those ERE cavalry in their gorgeous lances and banners,

I only use them when it is ABSULUTELY A SURE WIN.....if they get killed even one, my stacks are on hold to retrain them

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast