Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] From Satrap to Empire

Indefinitely Banned
    Mid-sized town about an hour north of Chicago. Tis a'ight.

Default [EB AAR] From Satrap to Empire

Hi everyone. This is to introduce my first campaign AAR, called From Satrap to Empire. I have long stayed away from campaign AARs, seeing the work and time that it takes to make them a good read. I figured I had put it off long enough, and so this AAR was born. It also helps that the EB end turn length is such that I can get a lot of writing done during this time, as well as read a large portion of War and Peace.

This will follow my small Baktrian satrapy from its developing stages to (with any luck) a full-blown empire. I suppose my title is a bit presumptive! I am playing on VH/M (the EB-recommended settings). My house rules are large undetermined as of yet, since I haven't played much with EB. Armies will always have a family member as a leader. Spies cannot open gates. Assassins cannot target family members or captains.

As for historical accuracy--well, sadly I know very little (read: nothing) about this particular part of the world. I have a few books on the way which should help rectify matters but in any case I ask readers to forgive any historical mistakes.

With that all said, the first update will be sometime later this evening. I hope you enjoy it.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: From Satrap to Empire

Baktra, Summer 250 BC
    Zoilos Marakandaios was on the march again. It had been six long years since his last campaign (which had ended in disaster!), and he was more than keen to clear his name from the shame of the past. His basileos, Theodotos Baktrios, knew the blame laid with the Gods and not with him, but his enemies were not so gracious. The king was in waning health, but even so, his influence was enough to appoint Zoilos as the general. Theodotos' own son was content with ruling Baktros, and he ruled it well.

Zoilos was a good man in terms of civic duty. He may not have been the most adept at managing finances or trade but he cared for his Greek subjects. The easterners, though . . . well, that was why Zoilos was only appointed to offices in places with a Greek majority. As solid as his governmental record was, Zoilos' private life was certainly more sordid. Most of the men in Baktra admired Zoilos for the beauty of the women that frequented his residence, and half the women of Baktra wished to be the ones visiting his chamber. His wife, naturally, was less fond of such open sexual exploits than the young public. Yet on this particular campaign prostitutes and mistresses would have to be left behind. Perhaps he would be lucky enough to find a lovely Greek woman, but he doubted it.

Heliokles Baktrios was also on the march, but from the remote northeastern region of the Baktrian lands. He and his small force would join up with Zoilos and move together.

Heliokles had also been involved with the disaster of 256, but as a lesser commander he escaped much of the scandal associated with the failed campaign. With any sort of luck, he would soon be the governor of a wealthy city to the east, and his past outposts in unimportant mountain villages could be forgotten. He would be much more attuned to the omens this time, too. After the great earthquakes of 256, one must leave nothing to chance . . .

Central Baktra, Autumn 250 BC
    Zoilos was consulting with his geographers went the messenger came. His king, proud and just Theodotos, had finally succumbed to whatever ailments haunted him. The news was expected--the man was old, after all--but the reality of the situation took some time to sink in. His old mentor and friend, his king, was gone. He thanked the Gods that Theodotos' son, Diodotos, was a good ruler. For some time now Diodotos had been helping his father and he was loved and respected by the people. The campaign would of course continue. The winter will be hard here. The sooner the warmer lands are reached, the better.

And they were not too far away now . . .

Southeastern Baktra, Summer 249 BC

At the south and eastern border of the Baktrian territory, the two armies met, within sight of Paropamisadai, the lands controlled by the enemy. Zoilos smiled as he saw the first Baktrian standard in the distance, and was still smiling as Heliokles walked up and embraced him.

"Cousin!" laughed Zoilos. "How has your beautiful wife been?"

Heliokles smiled in turn. He was used to his cousin's excesses, and knew his question was not serious. At least not entirely. He hoped. "Good! And your mistresses?"

Zoilos answered with a pout and sad shake of the head. Then a smile again. "Ready for war?" he asked eagerly.

"Always ready for any cause to leave the backwaters of these lands," Heliokles responded, tapping the kopis at his side for emphasis. "How soon until we march on the city?"

"Not long, a week--we will likely spend one winter outside the walls of Kophen, and I do not wish to spend two."

Heliokles nodded. "I shall tell my captains ahead of time. I shall see you again for dinner." He gently hit his cousin on the side of the shoulder in a parting gesture, and strode away.

Zoilos remained smiling. If he was doomed to spend a campaign away from his fine women, at least he could pass the time with a good friend.

------------

The week passed quickly. The troops were drilled and ready for the march. Optimism was high, as were the supplies. Hopefully both of those valuable commodities would remain high for the duration of the seige. The army was typical of Hellenistic militaries, but with a slight emphasis on archery. The Baktrians had learned from their past mistakes in conquering these lands.

Within a short amount of time, the army was within sight of Kophen, and the city was beseiged. It was late summer, and the first signs of autumn were visible. The Baktrians settled down for the duration.

Last edited by Kubelwagen; March 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

I see you are off to a good start. I am glad to see you establishing the story world as extending beyond the narrative by referring to events not fully described (such as the earthquake and the previous campaign).

The screens are gorgeous, EB truly is a beautiful mod. May your AAR continue to grow and prosper.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Indefinitely Banned

I'm still working out my writing style, so please forgive me if I change how it is written.

Paropamisadai, 248 BC

Autumn arrived quickly, then slowly gave way to a mild winter. Winter's end was marked by the tributaries and rivers swell, then summer scorched the land, and it was again autumn. The army's size was unchanged, thanks in part to the mild winter.

The weather was certainly cooler now, and Zoilos judged it time to attack the beleaguered town. He would soon have to start rationing, and few things could destroy morale more quickly than low rations and winter. The order was given, and the attack began in earnest.

Zoilos watched with concern as the rams rolled up to the walls. The enemy archers were dipping their arrows in pitch and trying to light the rams on fire. He called out the order for his own missile troops to target the enemy archers.

Heliokles grunted with amusement as he watched the enemy rout behind the walls. If they acted in such a manner behind the walls, he could only imagine how they would act when their walls were torn down.

The rams, unassailed now, had reached the walls and gate and the peltasts and thureophoroi assigned to them quickly broke down the battlements. The enemy held off, unsure if it would be wise to attack at the breached sections.

Zoilos would force their decision. He ordered his phalangites and other infantry through the breaches, and moved forward with his prodromoi and Heliokles.

The first defense of the enemy were weak spearmen with wicker shields. Zoilos was suprised they would fight at all. Their shields were pierced by the long sarrisae and the enemy quickly gave.

The main force of the enemy now attacked, but with the Baktrian phalangites already inside the walls and in the narrow streets, Zoilos' troops had a decided advantage. Some unfortunate peltasts were caught between the two armies' spears and were killed.

Seeing the success of his infantry, Zoilos and his cavalry charged into another breach and began to move to hit the enemy from behind.

As his cavalry galloped into the enemy town, a great cheer rose from the phalangites. The enemy commander had been slain. Zoilos and Heliokles urged their men on and rounded the corner. The center of the town was visible, and a few of the weak spearmen defended it, as well as some heavily armored horsemen. They charged at each other, and met with force. Xyston and spear and shield splintered at the impact of the charge.

Heliokles turned his attention to the enemy phalangites up the avenue, and they broke at the site of the enemy cavalry behind them. Heliokles and his men moved to slaughter them as they ran.

The thuerophoroi were the first to reach the widened city center, and the phalangites were close behind them. Zoilos gave the order for his cavalry to withdraw and let the infantry sort out the remainder of the battle.

A group of the spearmen, brave beyond belief, followed the cavalry. Zoilos had no choice but to reengage. The charge was less effective than he would have liked--they were in a small alley with less room to maneuver--but the impact still shook and enemy. Some thureophoroi noticed the enemy spearmen and charged to their rear.

The enemy, seeing this, broke. The Baktrian cavalry was quick to exploit this.

Without pausing, Zoilos charged into the few men still defending the center. The sheer froce of the charge was enough to end the last resistance.

--------

The town was small, but wealthy. A portion of the spoils were sent to the capital, but the people were mostly Greek and mostly content with Baktrian rule. Zoilos and Heliokles took up residence in the finest house in the settlement, and began working on creating an administration system similar to that in the rest of Baktria. Their work was fruitful.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Very nice!

I never managed to ever complete a Bactrian campaign (ie becoming an empire), so I'll be following this closely.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    Very nice!

I never managed to ever complete a Bactrian campaign (ie becoming an empire), so I'll be following this closely.
    Thank you for the kind words, Atterdag. I am a bit worried about my chances but I tend to write better when faced with defeat, so I suppose either way the AAR wins.

Indefinitely Banned

245 BC
    The period following the conquest of Kophen was one of tremendous growth and prosperity. Even the tiny mountain villages of the northeast saw increased migration. If this was the result of the taking of one city, imagine the wealth contained in other parts of India! This prospect greatly excited all of the men. Zoilos remained as governor of Kophen as proper institutions were put in place. Heliokles journeyed to Baktra with some of his most skilled veterans to attract more men to join up for another campaign. He was, of course, greeted as a hero upon his arrival.

Many men volunteered and training was underway. The treasury was low, however, thanks to a massive mining project in Marakanda. But that project would lead to a greatly increased economy, and any momentary shortfalls were fine. The future was very promising.

Yet all was not well. The Seleucids, jealous and concerned with the growing power of this semi-autonomous satrapy, were continually sending troops deep into Baktra. Streams of emissaries and important men entered and left Baktra daily. Whispers of a Seleucid army mustering for a reconquest of Baktria grew louder.

It was a stressful time for all in the captial, and even the outlying settlements of Baktria felt the tension. The Gods would soon reveal their plans for Baktria, they said. They didn't go further and guess at what those plans were.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Nice AAR! I've never played EB before, but it's looking great to me.

Indefinitely Banned

Autumn 245 BC

Diodotos Baktrios, basileus of Baktria, woke with a start. His-son-in law, Kleander Nikator, stood in the doorway, his body framed by the dawn's light. Even in the dimness of this early hour, the man looked pale. Diodotos knew what that meant. He was already speaking before Kleander could complete the word "Seleu--!"

Diodotos was alert and awake. "Wake the messengers, send them to every corner of the land. Sound the alarm and muster the army. I will meet them in the city center shortly."

Kleander nodded his recognition of the orders are he rushed away.

Diodotos exhaled and stood. He looked towards his wife, who was still alseep. He leaned down, kissed her forehead, and hurried towards his dressing chambers. There was much work to be done.

On the opposite side of the city, messengers poured from the gates like water from a sluice.

-----------

Zoilos was prepared for the news, when it finally reached him. He had been drilling his men constantly since the first whispers of a Seleucid invasion. He had lived in Persepolis for two years as a young man, and knew the foibles of this particular Seleucid king. His men were prepared too, and they marched towards Baktra and their king quickly. They were intent on reaching their countrymen before it was too late.

Winter 245 BC
    With winter's arrival the Seleucids settled down for a long seige. But Diodotos had better spies than the Seleucids, and knew they could only field a small number of men in his lands. With the prospect of reinforcements from both the north and east, Diodotos gave the order to sally and attack the besiegers.

Great AAR! I like the way you write and you describe the battles quite well, now for more and I'll be a happy man.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Indefinitely Banned

Very nice. I love Bactrian campaigns. Bring glory to my homeland!!

Indefinitely Banned

I should mention the reason I'm pumping out updates is because I have very few classes today and even less homework. I'll be less lucky soon . . .

Winter 245
    Diodotos stood on the top of Baktra's large gate, flanked by Heliokles and Kleander. Below him, the army was assembled. They cheered, and he raised his kopis as to silence them.

"My beloved Baktrians!" he called. "Outside our walls lay a most foul enemy. Wars, those are necesary. But wars on those you call friends? The Seleucids with one hand pretended to aid us, and with the other, plotted our downfall. Today, let us prove to them they cannot match the might of Baktria!"

The men roared their approval, clashing their spears or swords against their shields. Outside the walls, the Seleucids were roused by the sudden din. Their captains quickly realized what was going on and shouts filled the Seleucid camp to wake and prepare for battle. Heliokles watched their hurried preparations with a grim smile, then turn to listen to Diodotos' speech again.

Diodotos called for the men to quiet with the same signal. "We have suffered, it is true. They have hurt us. So today, take out that hurt on the enemy! Let them feel your anger! Let them feel your steel! Let this coming victory mark the beginning of their downfall! To battle!" Diodotos turned towards the frantic enemy outside the walls, pointed his kopis at them, and spat.

The men cheered and yelled and shook their shields. The din was incredible. The gates opened, and the troops rushed out. The Seleucid army was on the run, perhaps away from the seige, perhaps to get a better position, away from the walls. The archers would harass them either way.

Soon it became apparent that the Seleucids would stand, after all. The Seleucids were in disorder, and some cavalrymen took advantage of this. They charged forward, throwing javelins and hacking with axes as they ran down the enemy archers.

The few non-phalangite infantry the enemy fielded were cut down by arrows.

By now the enemy was whittled down to a small group of phalangites. Diodotos lead his cavalry around them as the infantry moved to the other side.

The lightly armored peltasts would have to bear the brunt of the enemy attack. They charged in, shouting. The enemy could do nothing to prevent the free movement of the thureophoroi and cavalry.

The Seleucids must have been terrified. They could only see the peltasts ahead, but behind they heard the thunder of hooves. Louder... and louder... and then, when it was too late, they knew the horses were upon them.

One by one the phalangites were enveloped and destroyed. It was more a slaughter than a battle.

The few surviving Seleucids were running for the distant river. Diodotos gave the order they be allowed to escape. Let the Seleucids know that they are dealing with a growing power. Let them know their time will come.

Last edited by Kubelwagen; March 27, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Spring 244
    The people celebrated their triumph for weeks. Hardly a man was sober for a considerable amount of time. The worship of Dionysus was widespread as well. In short, it was a good time to be alive. The nobles of Baktra allowed themselves to some love-making and drinking, but they had to quickly regain their focus.

A victory had been won, yes, but what of the future? They weighed their options. Sending for peace would be foolish--the Seleucids would take it as a sign of weakness and attack again. For Baktria, the only way was ahead. They must strike. This led to the next important strategical question: where should the hammer fall? They could muster a large enough army to challenge the Seleucids in this particular part of the world, for now, and they needed to exploit this momentary advantage.

To the west lay the city of Antiocheia-Margiane. It was traditionally heavily fortified and manned. This would be a bloody conquest, if it was successful. Yet to take this city would be a great step towards victory. It was a symbol of Seleucid power and its capture would severely limit the Selucid war-making capability, and expand that of Baktria . . .

To the south lay Alexandria-Ariana. It would be an easy capture, its strategical importance was minimal. Not to mention it would make guarding borders even more difficult than it already had become.

And of course a Seleucid army was marching towards Marakanda. Zoilos, though, was nearly to Baktra and the presence of a Baktrian army on Seleucid might draw that army away. And Diodotos was confident of his generalship in the field . . .

Indefinitely Banned

Winter 244 BC
    Preparations began for a campaign against the Seleucids, starting at Antiocheia-Margiane. The sudden swell in the army greatly drained the Baktrian treasury, and Diodotos knew he had to move quickly to show his people they were better off under him than with the Seleucids. A short way west of Baktros, Zoilos and Diodotos combined their forces. Heliokles and Kleander remained in the captial. They were to govern and raise more troops if the treasury allowed it.

In western Baktra, Diodotos wasted no time. The army crossed swiftly into enemy territory. By the time spring was upon them, the force was deep into Seleucid Margiane.

They marched forward and soon were within sight of the city walls. The seige began in earnest in the early summer.

------------

Autumn 243 BC
    Winter was fast approaching. Rations were thin as it were. Diodotos and Zoilos agreed: the city would fall now, or not at all. The rams were rolled at once from under their covers and towards the cowering enemy.

It was clear from the initial stages of the assault that the Baktrians were much more heavily armored than the Seleucids. The archers and Eastern cavalrymen accentuated this reality by targeting the lightest Seleucid troops.

The rams were now at the walls and gate, and battering. The enemy was in disorder again. It seemed to Diodotos that the Seleucids were poor generals. The gates gave as the enemy ran about in confusion.

The lightly armored peltasts and thureophoroi poured in the gaps to prevent any enemy troops from reaching the phalangites before they were in proper order.

The easterners surged forward and the enemy fled at the sight. Axe met neck in the most satisfying of ways.

Only a small group of enemy phalangites remained defending the breaches. The were enveloped by Baktrian phalangites and peltasts alike.

The main Baktrian force moved steadily towards the city centre where the main enemy forces waited. All enemies that were encountered on the way were introduced to the end of a sarissa.

Similar successes blessed the easterners across the city.

Soon, the Baktrian force was at the city centre--and with the abilty to outmaneuver the enemy.

The phalangites to the west moved in, and the Seleucid captain charged into the mass of spears. Perhaps he wished to hasten his end?

The three groups of Baktrians then moved in unison at the remaining defenders. They were surrounded and taking heavy losses when they raised their sarissae, signaling surrender.

Antiocheia-Margiane had fallen, almost easily.

Diodotos was quick to send gold and arms to Baktra and other major centers. He now turned his attention to administrative details, and Zoilos was placed in charge of military affairs. With some planning, he hoped to arrage for Heliokles to join him and campaign together, as they had in the past. Though all the planning in the world cannot account for quick movements of the enemy . . .

i'll definitly be following this!
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Chrush the infidels Seleucids for the glory of Islam Bactria.

Too much BC..
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Wow, nice going.

Indefinitely Banned

Thanks everyone. I keep on feeling like I should be watching for a Ghorid stack . . .

Indefinitely Banned

Spring 242 BC
    The Baktrian kingdom once again experienced a period of growth. The Seleucids would send the occasional raiding party into Baktrian territory, but they were chased away easily. Baktria was no longer a satrap, nor would it be again. All the same, it was clear the Selucids were mustering their armies. Word from afar confirmed that the Ptolemies had settled their difference with the Seleucids, for now, and this was ill news indeed. All the Seleucid forces were centered on Alexandreia-Ariana. It was clear this city would have to be taken to prevent further aggression.

Autumn 242 BC
    Agathokles Baktrios, Diodotos' middle son, was summoned from Marakanda with his veteran troops. While he was making that journey, Zoilos led a small army east towards. Halfway between that city and Baktra, he joined forces with Heliokles, who took overall command. They moved to guard the southern road against the Seleucid army which looked to threaten Baktra itself.

Summer 240 BC
    For the past year and a half, just the presence of a Baktrian force was enough to deter any Seleucid attacks. But the enemy was growing more powerful, and an attack was determined necesary. It was time to push into enemy territory--and to Alexandreia-Ariana.

The local Seleucid governor, Anaxarchos, took it upon himself to halt the Baktrian advance. It would have been better for him to be cautious.

The Baktrian army looked more like a tradition Hellenistic force than before. Their phalangite center was flanked by thureophoroi and cavalry, and their were led by the psiloi--missile troops.. The enemy army was clearly a quickly-thrown-together defense force. It had no cohesion.

Quickly the peltasts and skirmishers rush forward to harass the advancing Seleucids. The infantry watch on, confident of victory.

The enemy general orders his cavalry to charge the peltats. They throw some javelins and turn to run behind the protection of the phalangites, and for the most part, they escape unharmed.

The enemy cavalry was less lucky.

The Baktrian psiloi move around the flanks of the enemy as the cavalry routs the lightly-armoured Seleucids.

Even traditionally strong fighters are left stranded to meet their fates, such as these spearmen.

Anaxarchos, seeing the battle is lost, flees in terror. Heliokles, seeing this, calls for Zoilos to catch the man. Zoilos is off after the enemy within a heartbeat as the final bits of Seleucid resistance fold under the pressure of the Baktrian army.

Zoilos was a good rider, but his speed could not match the terror of Anaxarchos. The Seleucid pig escaped with his life, but only barely. He would not be so lucky in the future.

Zoilos turned his horse about quickly and rode to Heliokles. He wasn't even out of breath.

"We need to catch him!"

Heliokles was more cautious. "Why? He can do us no more harm."

Zoilos shook his head. "With an poor army such has that one, no. But if he commands a large force we will suffer much more than if he was dead."

A sigh. "You are right. But the men are tired and bloodied, and we are surrounded by enemy spies. We cannot give chase now, here, when the stakes are so high. Let him run. We will tend to the men, then . . ." He trailed off and looked at the sky.

"Then?" Zoilos promted.

Heliokles looked back at his cousin, and smiled grimly. "Then we will kill the bastard and whatever army he fields."

------------

Thanks to the comparatively small number of injuries that the Baktrians suffered, they were able to move south quicky. As they came within sight of the Alexandreia-Ariana in the distance, they beheld a Seleucid force assembling. Soldiers emptied from the city. They would have to attack now, before the combined forces became too much.

Perhaps they would hold the city and the end of the day.

Perhaps.

It was up to the Gods to decide.

Great update. Best of luck with that battle, it looks to be a hard one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast