Ceitherne Javelin men
    These are a basic Irish unit armed with Javelins

Ceitherne axemen men
    These are a basic Irish melee unit armed with one handed axes

and its upgrade

Ceitherne bowmen
    These are a basic Irish bow unit.

Ceitherne Fianadi
    These are the best armed and protected of the Ceitherne - armed with Javelins and axes

and upgraded

Galloglaidh Axemen

and Two handed swordsmen

Last edited by wilddog; April 20, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Irish Infantry

This is the work in progress version of the Galloglaidh.

(Image removed as newer version added to 1st post).

Comments welcome
    Last edited by wilddog; April 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

These look great Wilddog. Very authentic. Perhaps a bit more detail on the helmets?

Which models did you use/modify?

Very nice skin(s so far)

5/5!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce
    These look great Wilddog. Very authentic. Perhaps a bit more detail on the helmets?

Which models did you use/modify?
    There will probably be more detail added to the finished version. They were posted more for a response on authenticity before I commit to variations and adding extra bits. I was also fiddling with axe shapes which I've changed again since posting. There will be more helmet variations (I only used 2 basic ones).

Models are a mixture of 2 or 3 from kingdoms/MTW2 with some alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothe
    Very nice skin(s so far)

5/5!
    Thanks, I hope to have next model showing by end of the weekend. I was being a bit indecisive on exactly what I wanted it to look like.
    Last edited by wilddog; March 27, 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Sorry for the delay but I've been having a few problems with milkshape smoothing (on the faces) - and still got them. Below is the basic Ceitherne unit.

Sure wish i could resolve the smoothing problem. I've been fiddling around but either end up with a highlights diamond across the face (i've messed around with that) or keep getting a slight line on part of the face (something I never seemed tog et before).

Very nice. Particularly like the simplicity of the ceitherne.

Just to make you aware, and as an idea for another infantry unit, the gallóglaigh also had longswords as well.

Quote Originally Posted by riadach
    very nice. Particularly like the simplicity of the ceitherne
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, I've seen that picture showing what they were dressed like 200 years later as well. However there isn't that much showing the actual dress in the 13th rather than the 16th century.

I was probably going to keep the longsword for a highland version.
    Last edited by wilddog; April 07, 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Campidoctor

This is going to be the best mod centralized around Britain ever

I am definately looking forward to it as well; however its still very much under development

Those Ceitherne look really good, as has been said- very simplistic. Which is what id have imagined for a warband. Keep up the good work Wild!

Thanks guys - the good news is that I think I've concluded on the face issue I was having - mostly around some rescaling of the UV map. Bad news is I've got to reposition some textures as a consequence. However that at least allows me to make progress again - lost a lot of time on this over the last few weeks.

If the new problems are easier to solve then all is well!

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, I've seen that picture showing what they were dressed like 200 years later as well. However there isn't that much showing the actual dress in the 13th rather than the 16th century.

I was probably going to keep the longsword for a highland version.
    The best source of information for the weaponry and equipment of more noble Irish units is no doubt the caithréim thoirdhealbhaigh (it's here but in Irish
    http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G100062/index.html). They describe the noble Irish horsemen and footmen, ceithirne, as well as the anglo-Irish heavy foot employed in the south of Ireland at the beginning of the 14th century, such as the Comyns. Documents about the gallóglaigh from their point of view are also found in Leabhar Chlainne Shuibhne. It places considerable emphasis on the sword as opposed to the axe. This was written in the early 16th but describes the early members of the family, one of whom is described as the last to wield two swords in battle.

Here are two warriors from an effigy, one can clearly be seeing brandishing a sword, the other an axe.

The sparr of the gallóglaigh was an anti-cavalry weapon. Have you plans to implement this in their stats in the mod?

As for cavalry, most of it would have been armoured similarily to the gallóglaigh. Not with a saddle but with a cushion. Lances would have been held overarm (reduced charge), the would have been smaller than regular horses (ulster horse was renowned for being larger).

riadach
    Thanks for the information - Guess I'll have to give a sword armed gallóglaigh for the Irish as well.

I'm trying to post some screen shots in the first post as I've pretty much concluded my Ceitherne based Irish units (loading them is really slow at the moment). I've also sorted out a heavier infantry unit.

This is the basis of the Bonnachta heavy infantry I'm planning to use. Comments welcome

The King Of Peasants's Avatar Senator

Wow these are really great textures much grittier and more realistic then I've seen also you have good colors. That last skin is very good you might want to use a varied version for the other factions!
    Edit: You might want to add sandals or something to the upgraded light units As you can't make very realistic bare feet in medieval 2.
    Also the gallogaidh colors look a bit off but its wip.
    Last edited by The King Of Peasants; April 13, 2008 at 08:13 PM.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

nice work wilddog

Quote Originally Posted by The King Of Peasants
    That last skin is very good you might want to use a varied version for the other factions!
    Just checking but which unit/post are you referring to?
    I'm actually using a mixture of 4+ textures for most units (created by Makanyane and myself).

Problem I've still to resolve/decide is whether to use more variations by units or use one set of colours for the factions. Obviously nobody was uniformed or wore the same basic colours so Ive still to decide on that (any battle is quite chaotic but then its suppose to be )

riadach@ I've set up a model for the Galloglaidh with double handed swords - just haven't got to the texturing. I've also corrected the hand positoning on the 2 handed axe version (thanks Halie for pointing that out)

I have a basic question do you think the Irish units should have long spear or just short spear? (mainly as a Bonnachta unit).

I'm intending to do a Bonnachta unit with 2 handed axe and another as a bow version also.

The King Of Peasants's Avatar Senator

I was referring to the Bonnachta heavy infantry. I don't know that much about medieval irish weapons but try and avoid the base short spears as they look awful and are held badly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast