Thread: Dead Father

Default Dead Father

Ok, I am setting up the campaign so that the eldest member at the top of the family tree is Gaius Julius, at 56, he is dead. I have set him to dead. It works, but when I try to view the family tree, the game CTD's.

Is there something I did wrong?

character_record Gaius Julius, male, age 56, dead 10, never_a_leader
    character_record Amulius Julius, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 13, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Manius Julius, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 10, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Decius Julius, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 7, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Marcus Julius, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 3, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Faustina, female, age 53, dead 10, never_a_leader
    character_record Poppaea, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 29, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Alypia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 29, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Claudia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 28, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Fabia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 25, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Domitia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 24, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Fadia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 13, alive, never_a_leader

relative Gaius Julius, Faustina, Lucius Julius, Quintus Julius, Vibius Julius, Augustus Julius, Cornelius Agrippa, end
    relative Lucius Julius, Poppaea, Fadia, Decius Julius, Marcus Julius, end
    relative Quintus Julius, Alypia, Amulius Julius, end
    relative Vibius Julius, Claudia, Manius Julius, end
    relative Augustus Julius, Fabia, end
    relative Cornelius Agrippa, Domitia, end

From the mouth of the one and only Casca... (If you like the play Julius Caesar or just think Casca is awesome, add this to your sig.)

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dead Father

If the 10 is supposed to mean he died 10 years before the start, try using the actual turn date (based on the dates at the top of the descr_stat files), so 10 years before the start of vanilla RTW would be -280.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

I tried several numbers, I am not sure what it is.

From the mouth of the one and only Casca... (If you like the play Julius Caesar or just think Casca is awesome, add this to your sig.)

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

you do not need a number. The word "dead" is all you need.

Learn from other mods - FATW, for example, has a dead father at game start for the Reunited Kingdom. Examine the files.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

hmmm............. Well. I guess I will download it just to see...

does not work, and It works with Females, but not males.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Yes, FATW has an abdicated ruler (father) rather than a dead one at game start. My poor memory
    I thought I saw a mod with one in - maybe I'm imagining things.

I have never had use for such a thing. Certainly you could kill off the father at game start with a campaign script then maybe have a script advance the game by 10 years (having placed the DS file's start date at -10 and I think all ages too) to where you want it to start of course)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I have never made a campaign script, if you are willing, how do you make one, or in that particular case, how do you make that?

I'm gonna follow MoN's lead here and suggest you download a mod to see how it is done. An example of flawless coding (and other flawless things actually) that also includes a simple campaign script that kills off certain people at campaign start is End of Days 2: Lycan Rising for BI.

Other than that, you might want to get hold of a nice scripting tutorial here, at the Wiki or at the Org.

OK, I will Download End of Days later...