Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] Romani - The Late Republic

thelord's Avatar Senator

Default [EB AAR] Romani - The Late Republic

POST ONE

Hey i thought i'd start my own AAR for my Roman save.

Im playing on h/m with some house rules put in, to stick roughly to historical expansion and also i destroy every building possible in every city that i take over, i do this so it takes longer to get new provinces to be valuable and productive which is more realistic than taking over a city with nearly everything already built.

The year is 131 BC, my empire stretches from Iberia to Asia Minor. The Marian reforms have been in place for around 20 years and after a century of constant wars I finally have a period of peace. Seleucia, Epeiros, Aediu, Kart-Hadast, Pontos and Pahlava have all been wiped out.

The constant invasions of the Arverni into Cisalpine Gaul have forced me to build forts to block all the passes between the mountains, each with a tough stack of men in. Im sticking roughly historical accuracy so I won't take Gaul for another 60 or 70 years. Until then i will pick off their invading forces and generally keep them under control.

In the last 2 or 3 decades i have quickly occupied all of greece, the western portion of Asia Minor and Kydonia. I plan to stop expanding east for a while in order to build up the towns there so i don't have a stretched supply line.

POST TWO

Winter 128 BC, the ptolemys are constantly blockading my ports in Greece and Asia minor, so I decided to teach them a lesson by invading their huge city Lepki. It was also a good oportunity to try out some of the new artilery available to me. In particular the 1 talent stone projectors. Costing a whopping 30000 mnai for one unit!

In 127 BC i made my assault without waiting to build any siege equipment, however this turned out to be a mistake as the stone projector was not enough to create a whole in the large stone wall on its own.

So i made a second assault the following turn in the Autumn of 127 BC and this time i managed to bash a whole in the wall and take they city, killing the Ptolemaic faction heir in the process.

POST THREE

The year is 122 BC, and the short period of peace that I was experiencing seems to be over, the Macedonians and the Ptolemys are both launching mass assaults on asia minor and lepki. My treasury has been severely plundered because I had to bribe a Ptolemaic army and also my faction leader died. Being replaced by his distant cousin as his own son was 2 years too young. Macedonia is clearly not going to accept that I control Asia minor now and is sending a stack nearly every turn now. This has prompted me to begin the recruitment of a new legion in order to crush their remaining 2 cities and hopefully force them into being my vassal. My new faction heir will lead this legion as he needs some valuable combat experience.

As for the macedon stack already besieging sardis, my legion stationed there should be enough to destroy it and hold off any more until my heir arrives to wipe them out. So I sallied out of sardis to face them, they had superior numbers but my troops were vastly superior to theirs. However their cavarly superiority may prove fatal.

I formed my troops into two lines and engaged the first line with the Macedonians. They flanked the line with some of thier cavalry and subsequentially charged my frontline, at which point I sent my second line forwards to outflank the cavalry.

This results in the simultaneous fleeing of their army and a truly crushing defeat for macedon.

At the same time Ptolemy had invaded Lepki which forced me to meet their army in the field where the had several elite phalanxes, which are brutal! Fortunately my cavalry advantage won the battle

Last edited by thelord; March 24, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: Romani AAR - The Late Republic

Interestingly, your problem with the Arverni is precisely why I'm trying to maintain both Aedui and Arverni in Gaul in my game. As soon as one gains ascendancy, you're guaranteed to have to deal with them. Thus make sure both stay strong enough to be a threat to each other, and be too pre-occupied to hassle Rome.

How did you handle the Pergamon bequest? Force Diplomacy, some genuine diplomacy, or just force?

thelord's Avatar Senator

Macedonia had all of the land in asia minor which i now control, basically i stormed in with 3000 men they had a good 10000 men in the area but thankfully most of them were lower level troops as they were out of their homeland provinces. The forts have also seemed to stop the arverni from invading completely, which is strange. But i aint complaining.

ive updated the main post aswell.

thelord's Avatar Senator

Ive updated the main post again, i hope people are following this

Who are those two blue units (who aren't the antesignani)? Are they evocati?

What kinds of formations do you favour with professional troops? I don't have to worry about it yet, but I'm not going to be able to just field the same pattern every time.

thelord's Avatar Senator

Yes they are cohors evocati, reinlisted marian legionaires.

With the troops I usually put them into two lines like I did there, with supporting units such as antesigeni or levies either in the second line or as a third line. I prefer to keep the ranks at 4/5 per unit so they dont take up loads of room, however I shouldn't really do that against phalanxes

Do you not find it difficult to get the second line into the fight if they're all lined up directly behind the first? I have a tendency with my Polybian/Camillian forces for example to send the skirmishers out to the wings as soon as they've used their ammunition, and my three lines quite neatly compress into one. Which can give me a nice, broad frontage if need be so it's hard to be flanked.

thelord's Avatar Senator

not usually I will leave the ones on the edges to guard the flanks and will engage some of the units in the middle if they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by thelord View Post
    not usually I will leave the ones on the edges to guard the flanks and will engage some of the units in the middle if they are needed.
    Do you just send them "through" the units already engaged at the fighting line? Just that I don't see much space between your cohorts so they couldn't get in that way.

thelord's Avatar Senator

no just behind them to add extra strength to the frontline, i flank with either the remaining second line or with cavalry.

thelord's Avatar Senator

POST 4 - INVASION OF SIDE

112 BC, in recent years the Hayasdan have been destroyed after I took Ipsos from them. I've secured a ceasefire with Ptolemaioi as well as their repetitive attacks on Lepki were getting on my nerves.

I've decided it's time for the Macedonians to be destroyed so I've sent a stack to Side, one of their two remaining towns, I've sent a pretty lacklustre general, he's dull/uncharismatic/languorous :laugh4:. I'm going to start a little project and find out if i can turn him into a good general despite his lack of talents.

The Macedon's may outnumber me but my troops are a lot better than theirs, the odds were even however.

They had slightly higher ground which could have worked in their favour.

So I rushed forward and threw my Cohors Reformatas pilum.

After the skirmish mode had finished, I came out on top, with 3% casualties, compared to Macedons 7%. Macedon therefore engaged its infantry before my Antesigeni could fire throw theirs.

My auxiliaries were forced to protect the left flank when several units of hoplites tried to flank.

Several minutes later Macedon engaged most of its Skirmishers whilst their reinforcements arrived on my right flank, including a 63 man strong bodyguard.

However my Cohors stood their ground with the help of the auxiliaries and in the end Macedons general was killed alongside over 1300 other Macedonian troops. Macedonia's largest army is destroyed and Side will fall the following turn.

By 'eck, Baktria are a juggernaught in your game! The Hai never had a chance between them and you. Funny that all the Makedonians had left was the Cilician coast.

Did you let the inland areas of Africa revolt after you'd destroyed the Karthadastim?

thelord's Avatar Senator

yeah I bought all their remaining towns in Africa, (only the 2 or 3 ones which are in the middle of the desert. Then took their capital so they were destroyed then I just let 'em revolt so I didnt have to worry about even more invasions.

In my game, I'm half-tempted to let the desert provinces survive so that they can "play Numidia" even though they'll have heavy infantry and the like ahistorically.

I think I'm just really averse to letting an AI faction be wiped out, even when it's me doing the eradicating. I've got my first faction-killing coming up in my game, in 167BC I'll be wiping out Epeiros.

thelord's Avatar Senator

very true, i dont like it either. But as you say, you want to stick to historical accuracy, and epeiros was destroyed very soon after the starting date for EB. So I had qualms in destroying carthage.

thelord's Avatar Senator

POST FIVE - THREE WAY ASIAN WAR

I've added some submods to my campaign, Fanatics legion mod, and I've started playing with the BI.exe. I've also changed the minimap back to how it was.

108 BC, the situation in Asia Minor has changed dramatically in recent years. I am at war with both Baktria and Ptolemaioi. Who are at war with each other, so there's an interesting 3 way battle for supremacy going on. I had sent another Italian Legion with the best troops available to me for the invasion of Ankrya, but as soon as the arrived near the town, a large stack of Ptolemaic troops turned up for the defence. A very tough stack as well, two 10 star generals with a load of phalanxes and Galatian swordsmen. The odds were not in my favour and my general was an non-blooded man from Capua.

I had the high ground but they had a huge advantage still.

They had 3 elite phalanxes with them as well.

As the battle continued the Ptolemaic phalanxes were gaining the upper hand, I may have killed more of them but they were starting to win it for them.

This was turning into a very close battle. I had flanked their line and charged the general with mine. Their generals death would have really turned the battle in my favour.

Which luckily is what i got.

Their main force was routing, however most of my infantry was dead and I had only 4 horsemen remaining. So I could not chase them down as the enemy reinforcements had arrived along with another 10 star general.

The second general was also killed.

However the second wave of troops was too much for my surviving legionnaires so I had to retreat. Most of my army was destroyed but I had taken two 10 star generals with it.

Even worse for me however Baktria decided to attack my retreated legion. I was outnumbered 4 to 1.

Miraculously their army was of low level troops and I managed to pull of a heroic victory.

I may have fought them off for now, but there are several more Baktrian stacks on their way with another Ptolemaic tough stack as well. Hopefully they will fight each other while I replenish my legions with my legion barracks in my local cities.

I didn't realise you could change your executable, and still play an existing game.

thelord's Avatar Senator

well, I could with this one. I believe there are problems in starting a new one however. I guess when I want to I can just start it with rtw.exe then play it with BI.exe.

If you're interested I got it from the .org forum which has a much larger EB community and more submods ect.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=95664

I believe you can also use the alex.exe which has a thread on this forum.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

@QuintusSeritous
    You can play with a different exe off of a save game. I made a BI.exe and I kept the original RTW exe so that I did not have to recopy all of my EB files into the BI folder (Saves hard drive space). Unfortunately, if you just set up the EB shortcut to go off the BI exe like i did, you cannot start a new game from the BI/EB. Instead, I begin a game using the RTW/EB.exe, then I save it, and reopen it as a load game in BI.EXE. In my case, I play a number of different factions, but you would only have to have one save game (Rome, turn 1, 272 BC) and that could serve all of your needs. Or you could just continue from your last save game from where you left off using the BI exe. So, to summarize, use rtw.exe to start a new game and use BI.exe to play ANY saved game. Hope that helps!
    @Thelord
    nice battles in chp 5, I really haven't seen many defeats in AARs before, so that is kind of refreshing...
    Last edited by Irishmafia2020; March 28, 2008 at 09:54 PM.

thelord's Avatar Senator

POST SIX - EXPANSION INTO PTOLEMAIOI TERRITORY

105 BC, Winter. The situation in Asia Minor was getting worrying for me as Baktria was sending stack after stack towards me, I had a huge stroke of fortune however and two of their cities bordering mine rebelled, so they recalled the stacks and the rebels will hopefully keep them occupied for a while. Can someone tell me where Baktria's capital is by the way?

The war with Ptolemaioi was still in full flow however and I managed to take 2 of their cities in the last few years and besieged another. I took Ankrya and Kyrene. Whilst besieging Salamis. They sent a large force to retake Kyrene within 2 turns of me taking it however.

Luckily for me however, I rarely lose sieges.

The following turn saw some new developments as well, I assaulted and took Salamis and now control Cyprus, which will no doubt be very useful for reinforcements for when I assault the middle east. Ptolemaioi also took Tarsos, Macedon's last town and wiped them out before I could get to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast