Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quaestor's Club

Faridus's Avatar Centenarius

Default Quaestor's Club

Ave Patricians and Plebeians,

This a thread dedicated to a community game. It will consist of a single campaign shared by several palyers, each one will be allowed to play a few game-years and then report in here in an AAR fashion.

The players will download the save game, play, then upload it back here for the next player.

We will try to keep it as simple as possible, with very simple rules. These rules will be edited along the way, to suit our community, so refer to this first post often to keep updated.

No cheats whatsoever

The first rules i thought of are:
    1. every player has to have the exact same version of the game without any modification (no personal tweaking, stat altering or such) in order to avoid any CTD's while uploading the save game.
    2. we will be playing RS 1.5a, go here for the latest version: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137604
    3. we will be playing on H/H setting
    4. one first cohort per legion, legion constitution is up to individual player, must have at least one General
    5. we will be playing Rome as a starting faction

as far as gameplay, each individual should play his/her own way, the challenge is to adapt to the previous player's style or just change everything back to your own style, which will be quite difficult if you only have a few game-years to reverse the aggressive war policies of your predecessor, so you have to do with what is readily available.

I do think, we should try to avoid spending more than half of our income in military budget, only build one structure in each city at a time (if you have 5 cities, queue up to 5 buildings total), save some money for the next player.

when the game is saved, it should be something like: Quaestors_489AUC, where 489AUC is the final year played. so if the game starts in year 450AUC, you play, let's say for 2 years (which is 4 turns), so you play 450 summer, then 450 winter, then 451 summer, then 451 winter, then you hit the new turn button and when the year is 452, you save it as Qaestors_452AUC, the next player picks it up at the first turn of 452, plays 4 turns and then saves it as Quaestors_454...etc.
    if players feel there should be more than a couple of game-years, we can make it so. just let me know.

Players list:
    Faridus Africanus
    Nellup
    Jingle_Bombs (currently playing)
    Snuggans
    Killer Jack
    Last edited by Faridus; March 23, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Quaestor's Club

Sounds good, how about we agree on some house rules - no cheats is the obvious one, and having only one first cohort in VE legions and named legions also seems reasonable.

Also how about adding a list of players to the first post, and the order they play in.
    So I assume you are first, I'll go second and then a few other players then it goes back to you.
    If someone wishes to join half way through, add them to the end of the list and then they'll play on the next 'cycle'.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Worm's Avatar Bravo

I have an idea, what about every player has his own legion that only he is alowed to use so that every player gets their own army, then if itīs destroyed, he is not allowed to play enymore.

EDIT: I canīt be in this project.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Sounds good, its times like this I wish CA had put hotseat campaigns into RTW... I like worm's idea of having an army each, but to go one step further, perhaps we could even roleplay from the point of view of a different family member each. For example, Faridus would perhaps be Tiberius Maxentius, who I think is Rome's faction leader at the start. Just a suggestion.

good ideas.
    i like personal legions!!! however, i think you could still play, but you'll stick with building and defensive role until there is enough money to raise a new legion.
    yes, it will be on a turn basis.
    would people be able to use somebody else's legion for support?

by the way, how many game-years per play? 2, 4? i think in the beginning may be 4, since it's kinda quick, and we'll be building the infrastructure.
    Last edited by Faridus; March 23, 2008 at 10:09 AM.

Worm's Avatar Bravo

I think it would be best if people only where allowed to use there own legion, so if you are attacked by 3 armies and you have one reinforcement army, just retreat. And every army exept the army of the person that plays for the moment should be kept in forts until their general getīs the save game, but you decide.
    Last edited by Worm; March 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

I think that sounds good, but I'm wondering what happens if the entire legion gets completely destroyed after facing a huge number of stacks or something.

Worm's Avatar Bravo

Then you would have to quit your turn with the game and someone else have to build you an new legion, mayby.
    Because there must be a penalty for geting killed
    Last edited by Worm; March 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

i see, i think that would be best. each player will use his own army, and if the treasury allows, may be a "support" legion.

if someone else's army is encamped and is attacked, then the current player must either auto-resolve it or come to the rescue with his/her own legion, a fort can hold for 3 turns, so you decide when to help or auto-resolve.

so a player should not and must not use other's legions, unless explicitely allowed by the other players.

i stll think it should be flexible, at least for now to see how it goes and have a feel, then we can always refine and fine tune it.

i agree with worm, if your legion is destroyed, you save and quit, the next player picks up the game.

sign me up! we should probably set up a table in Excel that states who commands which legion. should we begin this AFTER the reforms? because there's going to be alot of 1st Legions during the republican army.

ok, i just installed a new RS1.5a with no alterations/mods.

so i'll be playing the first 4 GY (game-years) and then upload the save game. make sure to save in this format :
    473_AUB (specify the year).

excel would be a good tracking tool.

until the reforms, each player will use whatever legion is available, especially since we'll be limited to a small number of legions in the beggining.

i'll be the faction leader then.
    feel free to hire other generals/governors to run the empire or fight your battles if the current general/governor sucks.
    may "borrow" retinue from other generals (not from generals that are being played), so each player should state who his general is, so we know.
    Last edited by Faridus; March 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Worm's Avatar Bravo

Another thing that would be cool would be an sort of budget, you get an amount om money to spend, and if you spend too much, then you will get less money to spend next time.

For how this is going to work before the reforms, I was thinking that if we each sort of 'picked' a general/proconsul/family member or whatever, the army he was in command of would be that player's 'legion'. Of course he would have to stick with that army as long as possible, he couldnt keep changing all the time. Depending on how many are playing, the starting Roman family tree could accommodate us in that respect:

Assuming Faridus is in overall charge of the faction, as the campaign gets started, he could assign newly recruited armies to each of our generals, it would then be up to us to maintain them, i.e recruit merceneries, retrain units etc.

I hope some of that made sense...

Edit: Perhaps it would be better if Faridus controlled the entire family tree, and the others used the recruited generals, if we wanted more men or something, we would ask faridus who would assume the role of the senate, a bit like in vanilla Rome. Except it would be a much more active senate with armies and stuff. Not to mention it wouldnt be as stupid as the vanilla senate faction lol.
    Last edited by Jingles; March 23, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Jingle_Bombs (right?)
    Oh, lol yeah count me in.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm going to pull out of this - the roleplaying aspects are going too deep for my liking, I was under the impression it would be a simple play your turn pass it on type thing - not a complex system of general and legion ownership.

Would anyone be interested in playing a simple game as a different faction (so it wouldn't be similar to this one)?
    Last edited by Nellup; March 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Nellup View Post
    I'm going to pull out of this - the roleplaying aspects are going too deep for my liking, I was under the impression it would be a simple play your turn pass it on type thing - not a complex system of general and legion ownership.

Would anyone be interested in playing a simple game as a different faction (so it wouldn't be similar to this one)?
    i thought it was simple...
    what did you have in mind?
    doesn't have to be deep role playing.

question, we are playing 1.5a, but uhh im a little confused, because i have here a file called RS1_5_fixes. what are we doing?

yes RS_1.5a.
    isn't "RS1_5_fixes" included in RS_1.5a?

Quote Originally Posted by Faridus View Post
    yes RS_1.5a.
    isn't "RS1_5_fixes" included in RS_1.5a?
    no clue..
    provide the save game and i will try without applying the "fixes" file. if it doesnt work, i'll apply the fixes.
    Last edited by snuggans; March 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellup View Post

I was interested but i agree with nellup. the each player has their own legions is in my opinion an awful idea and would only work if the save was passed to every player each turn so they get a chance to control their own army, thus making sensible use of all the armies available in one turn.

Nellup if you are still interested i would be happy to set one up with you. I was think of where the player is basically the consul for the allocated number of turns and had control of the whole empire. if you are interested pm me and we will see if we can get a few rules set up!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast