Thread: My court members are running out

Nutsack's Avatar Primicerius

Default My court members are running out

In my current Crusader Kings campaign as the King of England... whenever my king reaches to about 40+ of age, most of my male court members have inherited far away lands and gone somewhere else, leaving me with nobody to be my marshal. I used to have no female court members, either, until I figured that I should quit marrying them off to foreign males.

One sad fact is that currently, the eldest English male heir to the crown is the fourth child of the King, so the oldest child of the King of England is a female that's married to a Polish courtier. They had a son, who is about 4 years old, but apparently is ahead of the Kings own son in the line of succession, wtf? :hmmm: I am afraid that the future of the English monarchy could be Polish.

Is there any way that I can gain more court members? Oh, and one funny thing struck me. I had "my" son be the duke of Normandy, and entitled him to much land in France, and he kept entitling dead people titles of counts. So in France, he had a bunch of vassals that were dead :hmmm:.
    Last edited by Nutsack; March 23, 2008 at 03:18 AM.

Default Re: My court members are running out

Quote Originally Posted by Nutsack View Post
    In my current Crusader Kings campaign as the King of England... whenever my king reaches to about 40+ of age, most of my male court members have inherited far away lands and gone somewhere else, leaving me with nobody to be my marshal. I used to have no female court members, either, until I figured that I should quit marrying them off to foreign males.
    Same here, I only marry my own daughters to my most important vassals in order to get the "family ties" bonus.

One sad fact is that currently, the eldest English male heir to the crown is the fourth child of the King, so the oldest child of the King of England is a female that's married to a Polish courtier. They had a son, who is about 4 years old, but apparently is ahead of the Kings own son in the line of succession, wtf? :hmmm: I am afraid that the future of the English monarchy could be Polish.
    Did you check your succession laws?

Is there any way that I can gain more court members? Oh, and one funny thing struck me. I had "my" son be the duke of Normandy, and entitled him to much land in France, and he kept entitling dead people titles of counts. So in France, he had a bunch of vassals that were dead :hmmm:.
    I sporadically have this problem as well, but it has never been that bad. I usually have like 5 – 25 court members; it's mostly around 10-15. Do you have DV yet? Did you get the latest beta patch? Did you get the improvement mod? (<-really essential for a enjoyable CK experience)

I'm fairly certain that the game automatically spawns new members if there is nobody or very few people left. :hmmm:

I can think of a few ways, but there really isn't too much you can do about this.

-Event "Foreign noble flees to you court", which cost a lot of money.
    -Event "The pope/patriarch sends you a new bishop"
    -Fosterlings sent from friendly courts.

Keep your family intact by:
    -Marrying your sons before you assign lands to them. (Preferably to females from your own or your liege's demesne)
    -Never giving titles to children because they often get stressed or sick and die sooner.

The only effective way:
    The game spawns some new court members who originate from recently conquered provinces, or provinces you inherited or revoked from the former owner.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: My court members are running out

Quote Originally Posted by Nutsack View Post

Such is the curse of Semi-salic succession law. Change it to salic. I see no point whatsoever in keeping anyone's succession law semi-salic. Basically you can inherit through your daughters children. Your goal in CK is to keep your titles in your family's hands...as such patrilinial is the only way it goes.